Masters in Dominican history - need info

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOLUC

Mar 29, 2009
Hey everyone,

I am new at this, and I thought this would be the perfect (I hope) place to get the information I need. I just graduated college last December and as I give myself intervals between grad school and deciding in what area I wanted to further my studies, I realized that Dominican history was it.
Before anything I'll introduce myself: I am 24 years old and was born in the Dominican Republic. Imoved to the US when I was nine with my two maternal sisters. I am from Barahona and most of my family still lives down there. I am a dark skinned Dominican woman and have constantly been the target of offensive comments because of my complexion.

I dont' want to make my thread about racism, but it is a factor. Because of the constant stereotype and being told that I couldn't possibly be Dominican, but Haitian, I want to further understand the history and the root of the conflict between Dominicans and Haitian. I want to explore Dominican identity, the idea of cleansing the race, more on the culture, self-image, the list goes on and on... I just started reading Why the Cocks Fight, by Michele Wucker (Just thought I should throw that in there in case anyone would want to suggest it)

I decided that I want to get my masters in Dominican history (it's more complex than that). What better place do this than the Dominican Republic? I am very passionate about this issue, and I feel that through it I'll be able to define myself and not judge those that judge me too harshly. To call all the Dominicans, who question my "true" nationality because of my dark skin, racist as ignorant as saying their assumption. This what I've done, call them ignorant for not accepting me, but there is so much more to it than that.

Here's where your assistance comes in: Are there colleges/Universities that offer such an in-depth field? Will they be accredited in the US?

I tried to find US institution that offer it, but in my heart I believe that the best way to truly understand the schema and root is to do this in the DR.

Is it possible that what I need to learn I wont learn in a classroom but rather by walking the streets of the DR?

I appreciate any help you can offer that will point me towards the right direction.

Thank you all in advance,

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2008
This is a very interesting subject. I've have often wondered about this seemingly unique dynamic, and I haven't been able to find any authoritative or definitive literature pertaining to it.

My guess is that you would have to do some independent field studies. You might be able to find some previous studies with similar topics, but I think any research you did would be original and ground-breaking.

Good luck.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
YOLUC, your questions and research make for a great individual thesis and self exploration with limitless input from not only this forum but from the island itself. If you had the resources and the time I recommend going back to DR and learn from interviewing individuals there. I wish there were classes here in the states that offer this specific topic you are looking to research.
there is an interesting piece of work written by or for the United Nations a few years back that discussed the relations of Hait/DR on a social and economic level worth reading: Hait?: Antecedentes Econ?micos y Sociales
written in Spanish, i forget the author but you can find the archives online.
Best of luck in your search and keep us posted! :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Moved to Living forum - not really connected with employment, but studies.
I also renamed the thread.

Welcome to DR1 by the way!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Most of the Universities here offer a Maestr?a in History. I know that the PUCMM does, and I thinkthe UASD does.

YOur best choice is the main campus of either school, since there is better research facilities.

go for it. Interesting subject, and then to the US or Europe for a doctorate...

Indiana, FIU, Alabama, offer good degrees in LA History...

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe you could also do a course in french and take a semester or two in any haitian university?

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
"Quisqueya La Bella" by Alan Cambeira covers the subject in some depth. After reading it my impression is that study at university in the D.R. would be required to satisfy you.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
One question you might want to ask yourself is what you plan on doing after getting the master's. Do you want to live in the DR or US? DO you plan on getting a PhD or working after you finish?

The answers to these questions might help you make a better decision. You will get invaluable field experience here, but US or European universities or employers might not look as favorably on a master degree from a Dominican university as one from an American or European univeristy.

Take a look at City College (in the CUNY system in NYC). They have a Dominican Studies Institute.

About two weeks ago in the New York Times there was a series of Q&A blog posts about Dominican immigration to New York. The expert is a professor at UMichigan.

Mar 1, 2009
I am happily of African descent as well, on one side of my family and I commend you on your topic of interest. As a small child my mother would be complimented on her cute son and then asked who was the cute little black boy (me) she was baby-sitting when my brother and I would go out with her. I have been fascinated by the same topics you bring up. I have cousins that are blonde and green eyed and others as Junot Diaz say's "Congo black", many are anxious, hungry for a better answer than just hearing the words, moreno, javao, indio prieto, rubio, cabello bueno, cabello malo, come on. Many black Dominicans do not come from Haiti but are the descendants of the slaves brought over, nothing against Haitians but that's my IMO. I hope that you achieve success and can further spice up the discussion concerning our ethnic origins, maybe you should get your education from an American university though, it would probably help advance your goals further.

Sorry for rambling (If I commited any spelling mistakes DR1 spelling nazis bring it on, I ain't using my spell checker)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as you know i am polish and as far as the eye can see all my ancestors were polish as well (technically poland did not exist as a country for over 120 years but national integrity remained intact) and dominican heritage is pretty amazing to me. miesposo has among his ancestors cubans, puerto ricans, spanish, italian, jewish, americans and whatnot.
it is an interesting subject and i hope that OP will get all the knowledge she craves for.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The ethnic and ancestral history of the people of the Dominican Republic has been a topic of great interest and some controversey, and I applaud you for her interest in pursuing a scholarly approach to this subject. Keep in mind as you go through the process of determining where to continue your education that the curriculum leading to a masters degree in history consists of more than a concentration of study and research in a specialized area. An overall course of study of history, methodology, language, etc., is also required. After acceptance and matriculation you will be assigned an advisor who will assist you in designing your particular course of study which will eventually lead to independent research and a thesis in Dominican history. If it were me, I would lean toward matriculating at one of the outstanding Universities in the DR. However, as has been already pointed out, your choice should really take into consideration your ultimate goals. I wish you much success and I hope that you will post often of your experience and findings in this worthwhile scholarly endeavor.

J NewBeginning

Dec 23, 2008
Florida International University might have what you need

I know that FIU in Miami has partnered with UNIBE to offer an MBA, taught in the D.R. The great thing about this is that the MBA participants recieve a degree from both the U.S. University (FIU) and a Dominican University (UNIBE).

I also know that FIU has a Latin American and CaribBean Studies program, and I would assume they have a similar program for your focus. You should contact them with your inquiry, if they dont have it already, you might start the pilot project!

This would allow you to study in the D.R., and reap the benefit of a degree accredited by a U.S. institution.

Here is the website:
Latin American and Caribbean Center, FIU

Buena Suerte

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I find it unbelievable that this young woman is going to shape her academic career and career thereafter on her insecurities about being black, dark, darker that she is supposed to be, darker than normal….. whatever.

I had lived in Sub-Saharan Africa for several years. The locals there laughed at the “identity crisis” suffered by many of America’s people of color.

My dear, take my advice. Try to do a bit of traveling elsewhere, not only to DR. You will see that the world’s people see you as a very privileged person living in a great country, and your skin tone and heritage will be irrelevant.

You say your “true” nationality is Dominican. What a slap in the face to the US; the country that welcomed your family in, provided your family with jobs, a good economy, safety, education and the list goes on. So why not pack up and move to DR permanently? But not without first saying “thank you” to the US.

I am of Italian decent, but you will never hear me garble the same nonsense you are about my “true nationality” being Italian, because I know my family came to the US because Italy had poor prospects. Nor would I ever disrespect US as you do, as it has provided my family opportunities that would be unobtainable elsewhere.

So ask your self this. If you never left DR for the US, do you think you would be educated to level you are? Would you own a computer or even know how to operate one? Your “real nationality”…… show a little respect.

People aren’t happy just being American; they need to be Mexican-American or African-American or Italian-American or Dominican-American and so on. This mind set is divisive and destructive. In parts of the world this disunity leads to such atrocities like ethnic cleansing, genocide etc.

This divisive mentality had gained so much momentum in the US, it became nauseating to me, and so I left.

As the great actor and philosopher Morgan Freeman once said, “The best way to end racism is to stop talking about it”.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Only one thing left to say

i find it unbelievable that this young woman is going to shape her academic career and career thereafter on her insecurities about being black, dark, darker that she is supposed to be, darker than normal?.. Whatever.

I had lived in sub-saharan africa for several years. The locals there laughed at the ?identity crisis? suffered by many of america?s people of color.

My dear, take my advice. Try to do a bit of traveling elsewhere, not only to dr. You will see that the world?s people see you as a very privileged person living in a great country, and your skin tone and heritage will be irrelevant.

You say your ?true? nationality is dominican. What a slap in the face to the us; the country that welcomed your family in, provided your family with jobs, a good economy, safety, education and the list goes on. So why not pack up and move to dr permanently? But not without first saying ?thank you? to the us.

I am of italian decent, but you will never hear me garble the same nonsense you are about my ?true nationality? being italian, because i know my family came to the us because italy had poor prospects. Nor would i ever disrespect us as you do, as it has provided my family opportunities that would be unobtainable elsewhere.

So ask your self this. If you never left dr for the us, do you think you would be educated to level you are? Would you own a computer or even know how to operate one? Your ?real nationality??? show a little respect.

People aren?t happy just being american; they need to be mexican-american or african-american or italian-american or dominican-american and so on. This mind set is divisive and destructive. In parts of the world this disunity leads to such atrocities like ethnic cleansing, genocide etc.

This divisive mentality had gained so much momentum in the us, it became nauseating to me, and so i left.

As the great actor and philosopher morgan freeman once said, ?the best way to end racism is to stop talking about it?.

amen amen amen

YOLUC

Mar 29, 2009
Thank You...

I want to thank each one of you for your suggestions and encouragement. I've looked into each one of your ideas and requested information from the various institutions mentioned.

I'm not sure how far I want to take this, but I do see myself furthering my studies eventually beyond an MA. At the moment I am a sponge and want to take in all the information possible.

I would like to address the last reply. Of all the possible reactions I thought I would get from the original thread, never in million years did I think anyone would see as Anti-American. You are implying that I am simply an insecure person trying to make myself feel better. You couldn't be more wrong. From the beginning I clearly said that I didn't want to make it about race, and I'll hold on to that notion.

You also speak of all the people that would kill to have what I do, but I find that completely irrelevant to my post. I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it. I come from Barahona, and my first home was made of wood. Today, less than half my family is literate. 98% of my family didn't get past the fourth grade and very few of them see it as a problem.

There isn't a single day of my life that I don't thank my lucky stars for being in place like America where education is valued. Each time I watch the news and hear about a group of 40 something Dominicans who've died trying to reach american soil, I value being here even more. Each time I go home and see how my grandmother lives in a run down wooden house where I can see everything she does inside from outside, I am more grateful.

You can't believe the many times I've visited a family member at a hospital and when I realize the horrendous conditions, mouthed the words "God Bless America." So don't tell me that I am not grateful.

And what's wrong with being more than just "American"? Is it a sin against this nation to define ourselves as something else? Isn't America a melting pot where we are free to embrace every heritage that defines us? Isn't that the reason America opens its door to so many people, because it welcomes diversity? Is Barack Obama simply defined as "American" or isn't the fact that he's "African-American" a big factor?

I am a fan of Morgan Freeman, but his solution to racism is dilusional. He is suggesting that we ignore the big elephant in the room. Lastly, that place in Africa where they laugh at us "Americans" for making race an issue sounds like a fairy tale, and unless you're an expert with this group of people I suggest you take a second look.

I apologize for rambling on about this, but I needed to get my point across. I don't understand how anyone can discourage someone's need to learn and get informed in whatever field. Unless you've walked a day in my shoes than you can't think you know how I feel or why this is so important. It is because I don't want to let these insecurities define me that I want to learn more. Whether I simply wanted to learn more about why it's so hard to find make up for my skin tone, just the fact that I want to learn should be reason enough to pursue it.

I welcome all your suggestions, and look forward to more your ideas.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
And what's wrong with being more than just "American"? Is it a sin against this nation to define ourselves as something else? Isn't America a melting pot where we are free to embrace every heritage that defines us? Isn't that the reason America opens its door to so many people, because it welcomes diversity? Is Barack Obama simply defined as "American" or isn't the fact that he's "African-American" a big factor?

I am a fan of Morgan Freeman, but his solution to racism is dilusional. He is suggesting that we ignore the big elephant in the room. Lastly, that place in Africa where they laugh at us "Americans" for making race an issue sounds like a fairy tale, and unless you're an expert with this group of people I suggest you take a second look.

Exactly!

Nothing wrong with being proud and embracing your heritage IMO.
We are all not the same and thank God for that...what a boring world it would be. I dont understand when people try to act like we all are or should be the same, as if it is scary and wrong if we are not. Variety is the spice of life. I always say different does not me better or worse it just means different.
Thats one of the things I love about Canada, specifically Toronto. The general mentality is the hyphen means 'inclusive' it does not mean people want to be seperate and are not proud to be Canadian too. You are free to be Jamaican-Canadian, Chinese-Canadian, Italian-Canadian...It is such a limited mindset to think it has to be all or nothing, either/or.
We dont want you to get rid of your culture and roots to be Canadian, because being Canadian is not a singular definition. Maybe that is why we are loved all over the world, cause our open minds allows us to see that their is not just ONE way. We have been voted one of the best cities for new immigrants in the world because we are so welcoming.

****And I agree about your assessment of his point about sub-saharan Africa. I rolled my eyes at his comment, sounds like a fairytale to me too. I have been to South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia and have very close friends from all over the African dispora and am very familar with the culture.

As a Black person of Jamaican background (they love Jamaicans and our culture and Bob Marley is saint like cause he was so pro Africa, Nelson and Whinnie Mandelas old house in Soweto has so many Jamaican souvenirs)...... I immerse into the culture very well because it is very close with mine in many ways, I identify, and it helps that I look alot like them. We all saw the celebrations in various African countries when Obama was elected. Oprah opened schools in South Africa. Why do you think she choose that country and part of the world? That is normal, people identify with people who look like them and have cultural ties. That happens all over the world.

I had black South Africans, etc. whisper things to me they would never say to a white person. They would say one thing to their white boss or other white tourists smiling and laughing and then turn and tell me their real feelings. Cause they felt more comfortable and safe with me and obviously felt that I would/could understand. That is the culture, as in most of Africa you dont HONESTLY share your feelings and talk about certain 'touchy' subjects like that with outsiders, especially white ones...cause 9.5 times out of 10 they just wont 'get it', they dont trust you or it is taboo.
(Part of the reason why the South African president wont even publically admit , that HIV/AIDS is a big epidemic in his country...when the obvious facts state otherwise.)
As you can understand based on very recent history there is alot of mistrust for those with white skin in that region.
(My white Irish friends tell me the same thing that it is not part of the Irish culture to talk about personal matters, you keep it in. I have had Dominincan friends say things to me about white tourists that they would never say to a white person).

I had a black South African doctor tell me they needed more black people like me from Canada/America to volunteer to teach HIV education because the locals just dont trust the white people who are coming down and passing out condoms, cause the belief is they are actually HIV laced condoms and these white people are the ones infecting them with HIV. That the locals would be more inclined to believe a black person like me. Crazy but true.

Toober,
Never once while I was there or with my African friends living in Canada have I heard them talk about or LAUGH at this suppossed identity crisis you think people of colour in America have, because they want to identify with their roots.
So how you as a white man, foriegn at that, became privy to such information doesnt make sense to me????? Tell me this cause I am curious.

How did this topic come up with these locals, what brought it up, what was your relationship with them? Did they get the sudden urge to talk negatively about other black people and started laughing about it out of the blue around the camp fire with you? Because why...why would such a topic even come up in Africa with a white foriegner? (You see how defensive the Dominicans on this board get when some outsider puts down their people/country/culture...)
Or did you bring up this uncomfortable/touchy topic to a group of black people, trying to get validation for your belief and seriously expect an honest response as a white man? You obviously dont understand the culture of that region.
As TOLUC said you need to take a second look.
As I said it is not part of the culture to sit around with 'outsiders' and talk about things that are uncomfortable.

Toluc good luck with your search.

Last edited:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
My comments were not meant to reflect a lack of gratitude on your part, but more a lack of respect. Sorry for not being clear and the misunderstanding.

No, I am not African by birth and will never claim to have a 100% handle on the culture, but I do believe that my living in the Niger Delta for many years and assimilation qualifies me to speak with some level of authenticity. I do not need an academic degree for this.

The comments I made in my previous post with respect to “some” African perceptions of the pettiness of some of America’s people of color are accurate; at least in my circle of friends, colleagues, coworkers etc. No, I do not sit around a campfire and evoke these opinions and responses from people, nor do I dwell on the subject, as it serves me in no way; the notion that I do is childish (Thandie). Nor have I experienced with any great degree the “Don’t be honest with the White Man” mentality or the “White Man is Taboo” mentality mentioned by Thandie. Perhaps we associate with a different caliber of people.

I continue to live and work in Africa, splitting my time between there and DR. So to take the “second look” as you suggest, simply requires me to walk out my front door.

Not be overly winded, my point was, people of the world have serious problems, and it is very easy to understand how a problem such as “People won’t believe I am Dominican because I am too dark….. Boo-Hoo” can be seen as pretty petty and superficial. I certainly can’t see how one can devote a career towards it.

I don’t dwell on color; I have advanced to the next level. Can you?

I don’t know Thandie, but I do know many people whose ears perk up at the mention of race, desperate for a debate. They rarely listen for substance, but instead bark their usual mantra; seldom stopping to take a breath.

That elephant in the room you mention is not in my room. He is in your room because you let him in.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
No, I do not sit around a campfire and evoke these opinions and responses from people, nor do I dwell on the subject, as it serves me in no way; the notion that I do is childish (Thandie). Nor have I experienced with any great degree the “Don’t be honest with the White Man” mentality or the “White Man is Taboo” mentality mentioned by Thandie. Perhaps we associate with a different caliber of people.

Not be overly winded, my point was, people of the world have serious problems, and it is very easy to understand how a problem such as “People won’t believe I am Dominican because I am too dark….. Boo-Hoo” can be seen as pretty petty and superficial. I certainly can’t see how one can devote a career towards it.

I don’t dwell on color; I have advanced to the next level. Can you?

I don’t know Thandie, but I do know many people whose ears perk up at the mention of race, desperate for a debate. They rarely listen for substance, but instead bark their usual mantra; seldom stopping to take a breath.

That elephant in the room you mention is not in my room. He is in your room because you let him in

1. You made a very direct statement that I and the OP viewed as fairytale like and I just asked you a very direct and fair question....how did such conversations come up and what was the context of such conversations you had with these Africans?
Since you felt it important to inject this point in this thread as to prove a point. What sparked such a conversation, a newspaper article, scene in a movie, was an African American in the group? What? I am truly curious about the why, because this is not normal coffee table conversation anywhere in the world, amongst a racially and culturally diverse group. I just find it hard to believe that these people out of the blue started that type of conversation with you.

2. Never once did I say in my post 'white man taboo' and 'dont be honest with the white man mentality', of course there is a level of mistrust based on very recent history, and you wouldnt experience it 'straight in your face' because overall they are a very friendly, polite and welcoming people and a smile and laugh hides many true feelings (Sort of like how many expats who live here have mentioned on this board how many Dominicans will smile and nod to hide true feelings with gringos)....
For example in the DR you are and will always be a 'gringo', other or someone outside of the majority, sure you can assimilate to a 'certain level' over a years of living there fulltime, but the fact remains you will still not be Dominincan in terms of apppearance, cultural beliefs, upbringing and thinking, and at the end of the day 9.5 out of 10 if one of your Dominican friends had to make a choice to defend/choose you the gringo or one of their 'own'..... loyalty is very much part of the culture like it is in Africa. Thats fact.

3. Never once did I interepret or the majority of other posters here that the OP was saying 'boo hoo' because she was a dark Dominican, or think her choosen field of study was petty and superficial, because there are more serious issues in the world to research. And you mention respect but your comments are very disrespectful and closeminded. People study various things, usually what interests them based on personal likes and life experiences. Just because you dont think it is a worthwhile subject, based on your biased beliefs, or because it is not something you cant understand or RELATE to, it is not? Its important to her and that is enough.
She came here seeking helpful information not your biased judgements, because you think you have 'advanced to a higher level' than others and dont dwell on colour. Hahaha! I alway laugh at that comment, because it just sounds so ridiculous to me..... I just cant imagine people saying that when it comes to other things, that are part of someones identity.... like the sex of a person.
'Hey Thandie I dont see your sex, male or female it doesnt matter to me I just see you as a person'. Ummmm ok but that fact that I am a woman is an important part of my identity, no need to ignore/deny/hide/forget about that side of me. I like to be feminine, think pretty shoes are almost sacred, I almost have an orgasm when I am in a kitchen supply store LOL (the males in my life could care less about such things), like most other women and that is ok. Come on lets be real!
I dont want people to 'dwell' on colour (sex, sexual orientation, cultural differences, or any other differences.) either if their intentions are to discriminate and harm, but I am also a realist and dont want people to deny that part of my identity either, because that is a part of who I am and is not a bad thing. As I said different does not mean better or worse it just means different.

TOOBER,
I choose to try to understand and accept, celebrate, respect and appreciate cultural and racial differences than advance to your level of ignore, lets all pretend we are all exactly alike because different is bad, and ignorance is bliss because.... to me that is unrealistic, does not foster harmony and that mindset is what is destructive and devisive!

Lastly Toober, you said and I agree
"....I do know many people whose ears perk up at the mention of race, desperate for a debate. They rarely listen for substance, but instead bark their usual mantra; seldom stopping to take a breath.

That elephant in the room you mention is not in my room. He is in your room because you let him in."

But dont you realize 'YOU' Toober, are the one who turned this very interesting thread into a race debate, when that was not the intent of the poster. You are the ONLY poster on this thread who interpeted her post the way that you did and rudely accused her of having racial idnetity issues, not being respectful or grateful to America, cause hey if she was still in the DR she wouldnt even know how to use a computer (which was a highly disrespectful and inaccurate comment btw as if computers dont presently and widely exist in the backwards country that the DR is? There is an internet cafe on every corner)
Reread ALL the other posts prior to yours if you dont believe me. NO OTHER POST prior to yours made it an issue about race. They all were helpful providing information in response to her question, gave her constructive advice and feedback and made comments like good luck. Why is it that they didnt make it about race and you did? Why would the OP post illicit such a judgemental, condemning and rude response from you and not anyone else? Hmmm something you need to think about, maybe?
Cause it seems You are the one who seems desperate for a debate, its your ears that popped up at the mention of race, it is you who didnt listen to the OP substance, like everyone else did, but was quick to bark your usual mantra, that I recall you posting in another thread as well. Obviously your issues with people discussing race clouded your entire interpretation of the OP post, to the point you saw something that was not there and made it about something it was not about.
So that elephant you mention you dont have in your room, I agree with, you dont have one elephant in your room.
From your responses it sounds like you have a HERD of elephants in you room. How you dont see that baffles me. But I guess you dont see that because hey 'de-nile' is not just a river in Africa.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's enough about race. Even though the OP tried to place a different emphasis, it still turned into the usual slanging match. Apart from that, I hope she got some useful information.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.