Gardens

joana

Mar 29, 2009
Does anyone know what the plants called MOSS ROSES and PEONIES (in Wisconsin) are called in the D.R., and where I could buy seeds, bulbs, or young plants?

Thanks for your help.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
English Garden Flowers

I've never seen either growing here.

I suspect that the moss roses would do better than some of the hybrid teas etc that I see people trying to grow, the humidity causes a lot of blackspot. Cuttings would probably be your best bet, but not sure about the law on importing such things if you're searched in customs... However, there is a wonderful climbing rose, usually cerise, semi double and lightly scented that I have seen growing all over the place and does well if you just stick a cutting in the ground. I have come to the conclusion that it is easier to see what grows well here and go with that, despite missing some old favourites.

In theory, I don't see why peonies wouldn't survive here except perhaps the extreme heat, but I've never seen them or anything that would serve as a close substitute although there are some other very exotic beauties. Notoriously, they don't transplant well, so I think seed or a young, pot grown plant would be your best bet, probably the closer to a species rather than some fancy hybrid, the greater chance of success. If I remember rightly, it may be one of the types of seed that is encouraged to germinate after a winter of frosts, so you might want to put them in the fridge for a while before you sow them. Worth checking on a search engine as it's a long time since I grew them! Good luck....I miss having a garden!

Linda.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Moss Roses (portulaca) almost grow wild here. There is a plant nursery just before Jose Luis in Puerto Plata as you are coming in from Sosua. I got some there once. My neighbors in the country had all colors and they just scooped a clump out of the ground and brought them to my house. They have to be in full sun. I have seen seed packets in the nursery just out of Sosua on the way to the airport.

Peonies, no luck, I am afraid. I have only seen them in northern climates.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
More confirmation of why gardeners use Latin!

When I studied horticulture for pleasure many years ago our teacher insisted we learn the Latin names and here is a perfect example of why! We are talking here at complete cross purposes, as I'm sure those of us interested in this have realised by now. In England, Moss Roses are shrub roses on average around 4 feet high, highly scented and very prickly, one of the old fashioned shrub roses.

index.php

Now I've seen the name portulaca, I realise that you're asking about those very pretty little succulent plants that are no more than 6 inches high! Yes, you can get those all over the place, as Campesina says, they love full sun and they can be plagued by mealy bug (which appears as a cotton wool like mess on your plants and the brown bugs hide in there), but it grows like a weed if you stick new bits in the ground where it's happy, so you can keep the bugs at bay.

This has really got me interested now in the different names that we use even if we think we're speaking the same language. Thanks for the info.

Linda.