airlines

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
wondering which airlines fly from canada in the summer to puerta plata besides air canada. looking for a reasonable flight

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Skyservice ran a charter last year. Three flights a week from YYZ. Don't know about their plans this year. Word is that they're feeling the pinch at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised if they cut capacity.

Air Transat and Sunwing didn't come here in the summer.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
can't help canada, but FWIW, i went to the jetblue website yesterday looking for a july date and they weren't cheap, i can go to aruba for half the DR price, a whole lot further away. the politicians in SD need to cut down the airport taxes or they are going to kill the golden goose..............

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's not just the airport taxes. The tax on Jet A1 fuel is the highest in the Caribbean. Which means that a lot of airlines actually bring round trip fuel and just take a top up here in the DR.

The cost of bringing this extra fuel is expensive because of the extra weight, but it's still cheaper than buying it here.

Yes killing the Golden Goose and the Ozone layer at the same time!

When will the greedy politicians learn that by taxing moderately you are likely to earn higher returns? But hey, I'm not an economist!

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
With fewer tourists, they will have to raise taxes to make up for the shortfall. Who would have thought Florida would be cheaper than the D.R.

Now,,,,,back to the original question.........

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
We are really interested in this quesion as well. The current rates for heading down to the D.R. from Western Canada are putting serious doubts about getting down there this summer. So far, driving all the way down to Seattle and then flying from there looks the most promising.