Spanish or English

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Just throwing this out there.
Why is it that many of the posters on DR1 chose to give the Spanish newspaper reference to a thread or post on an English site?
You know who you are!:paranoid:
My feeling is that if you can read/interpret Spanish then give YOUR interpretation of the topic/event when you post for the English reading/speaking viewers.
My Spanish is obviously poor and when I go to the reference cited then go to Babel Fish for an interpretation it is so often nothing but goobly gob.:ermm:
How about this?
English on an English forum. Spanish on a Spanish forum.
After all why should the Spanish speaking posters struggle with their English interpretation while the English speakers posters just cop out???
Mack.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Just throwing this out there.
Why is it that many of the posters on DR1 chose to give the Spanish newspaper reference to a thread or post on an English site?
You know who you are!:paranoid:
My feeling is that if you can read/interpret Spanish then give YOUR interpretation of the topic/event when you post for the English reading/speaking viewers.
My Spanish is obviously poor and when I go to the reference cited then go to Babel Fish for an interpretation it is so often nothing but goobly gob.:ermm:
How about this?
English on an English forum. Spanish on a Spanish forum.
After all why should the Spanish speaking posters struggle with their English interpretation while the English speakers posters just cop out???
Mack.

Agreed that this is an English speaking set of forums but DR1 is, or should be, all DR related and that includes actual references to events which are naturally in the language which is spoken in this country.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Actually Mack it is an extremely helpful Public Service which these contributors to DR1 perform voluntarily. It is called 'helping the DR1 members to learn Spanish & thereby become a more integrated member of the community'!:cheeky:

If you check the quality of translation/interpretation of the 'English' papers you will note a rather disappointing level of journalism so going to Spanish reporters for their sources of information is a lot more rewarding to us all. Try learning 3 words a day when going into the links supplied & I bet within 6 months you will be able to read most of the reports without needing to use Babblefish! ;) ~ Grahame.

Feb 7, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, but on this forum, I believe both English and Spanish is permitted in the posts.

Mar 2, 2008
"Why is it that many of the posters on DR1 chose to give the Spanish newspaper reference to a thread or post on an English site?"

Any primary source of information should be available in its original form. That includes the original language.

That is simply the way it should be done. Those of us who are not proficient in the language should become so.

Attempts to push everything back to level of the lowest common denominator accomplish nothing. There is no need to try to 'dumb things down', there is quite enough of that as it is.

Step up, and take responsibility for keeping the referenced material on DR1 as accurate as possible, and stop looking for the easy way out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree: Learn the language.
I can remember, oh so many years ago, at the "Commissary" in Manzanillo, then run by the United Fruit Company, a woman who had lived here for years yelling at the young guy at the counter: Hey, you! Dame the can of beans, por favor!"

Why live here if you do not, at the least, make a effort, to learn the language...?

Remember, Spanish, poorly spoken, can be understood and appreciated by the local citizenry, as some of these posters well know..(HE HE HE), but the EFFORT is always appreciated, always...

And yelling in English will get you nowhere...so make the effort...

Hb

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
It?s amazing how one or two little words can make a difference in a sentence or statement. For example when I wrote
?Why is it that many of the posters on DR1 chose to give the Spanish newspaper reference to a thread or post on an English site??
I should have written, ?Why is it that (SOME) of the posters on DR1 chose to give (ONLY) the Spanish newspaper reference to a thread or post on an English site??:ermm:
Any primary source of information should be available in its original form. That includes the original language.
Certainly it should be, but your take on it would be helpful also. At least that?s my opinion
Try learning 3 words a day when going into the links supplied & I bet within 6 months you will be able to read most of the reports without needing to use Babblefish!
Actually I can figure out most of what is being said right now without ?Babel Fish? but it?s those one or two little word misinterpretations that can turn something into goobly gob. Also in six months that news will be old hat but there will be another newby to the forum looking for an interpretation of the now current news.:disappoin
Got a chuckle from your little anecdote Hb but see how things can get turned around. You wrote,
a woman who had lived here for years yelling at the young guy at the counter: Hey, you! Dame the can of beans, por favor!"
When shouldn?t you have wrote,
"a (MAN) who had lived here for years yelling at the young (GAL) at the counter: "Hey, you! Dame the can of beans, por favor!"
:cross-eye
Those of us who are not proficient in the language should become so.
Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. Guilty as charged M?lud.:nervous:
Mack.

Mar 2, 2008
"Certainly it should be, but your take on it would be helpful also. At least that’s my opinion"

I agree that knowing a person's opinion could be helpful, depending on the situation. However, it isn't necessary in all instances, and it might not be prudent or safe in a few.

In any event, it is up to each individual whether or not they choose to state their opinion. Often, just getting the information out there is the important thing.

By the way, mea culpa, me culpa too. I'm just beginning the process of learning Spanish (Dominican Spanish, at that) and it's two steps forward, three steps back everyday. But, heck, I rather enjoy it.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
I'm just beginning the process of learning Spanish (Dominican Spanish, at that) and it's two steps forward, three steps back everyday. But, heck, I rather enjoy it.
Yo tambi?n catcher. Yo tambi?n.
Mack.

B

BettyDiamond

I find the besy way to learn a language is to have sex with as many people as possible - I want, you like , put it here ,do that again....if we need something it makes it easier to remember what it is in spanish !

what is dont stand on my broken toe in spanish ?

Mar 2, 2008
"I find the best way to learn a language is to have sex with as many people as possible"

BettyDiamond

Amen. Words to live by.

I couldn't have expressed it better myself, in any language.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you have google tools you can right click then go page properties and most pages can be translated in to English. Usually much betterthan babblefish.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
I find the besy way to learn a language is to have sex with as many people as possible
Hey BettyD that might have worked for me 40 years ago....not now.:cry:
Besides the wife would never allow it.:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Mack.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I agree that knowing a person's opinion could be helpful, depending on the situation. However, it isn't necessary in all instances, and it might not be prudent or safe in a few.

Very astute. There's another reason also: the particular spin of a poster could detract from the original material begging the question when does 'translation' end & 'editing' begin.

I'm one of the people who posts links to items in Spanish language newspapers. I sometimes add a two line summary in English but I most certainly don't do a word for word translation (nor would I). If the OP finds the posting of a Spanish language link discomforting, I'm more than happy to stop doing so.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i was going to post a picture of my wife in a bikini but she is dominican so after reading the OP's first post i won't do that because all the english speakers here wouldn't understand.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
one for the English speakers

bikinibabe.jpg