Reggae?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I have seen great local reggae bands in Puerto Rico and Cuba but unfortunately never was able to find one in the DR....

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Real Reggae is fairly popular in the Haitian community and Bob Marley is venerated almost as a "saint" or "lwa". I have heard it played it in their homes and colmados but Haitians generally don't spend enough to influence the type of music in town bars.

cyberpropr

Mar 6, 2009
Here it's mainly Reggaeton :disappoin

Reggae and Reggaeton are two completly differents music. Reggae is the musc play by Bob Marley, mostly by Jamaican and the colors are red, yellow and green. Reggaeton is the music play by singers like Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, Rakim and Ken Y, and many others. The use very thick gold chains(they call it bling bling). It is the music that 90% of the young people in latinamerican liten to it. Raggaeton the guy just step behing the female and both start to move almost like they are having sex with the coth on(like Lambada). I'm very sure that Sosua what they have a mostly everywhere in Sosua is Reggaeton and not Reggae. Just for general info.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i cant say what it is like up in the north coast, but i have been to a few clubs in la capital where [depending on the DJ, if he/she happens to be from the states] will play reggae/dancehall upon request. I was in club Monte Cristo and got lucky with my requests....though only myself and maybe 4 other people got up to dance....reggae doesnt seem to be very popular in DR like reggeaton....sigh, oh well :)

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Yes I have heard a few reggae tunes at clubs in the Playa Dorado resort complex and everyone was on the dance floor but the majority of people there are non locals, obviously.
One guy I was dancing with even said to me he liked dancing with me cause Dominican girls dont know how to dance to different types of music.
I think the problem is most Dominicans (all the ones I have met atleast, only know how to dance to Merengue, Bachata and a bit of Salsa) do not know how to dance to reggae.
I remember 'trying' to teach a bunch of Dominicans at a house party how to dance to reggae and I was dying laughing. And they were all asking how I know how to dance so well to 'their' music.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
OMG !! have you seen dominicans salsa ? it looks awful. it's 3rd world salsa :ermm:

May 31, 2005
I remember 'trying' to teach a bunch of Dominicans at a house party how to dance to reggae and I was dying laughing. And they were all asking how I know how to dance so well to 'their' music.

Reggae is not our music. This is like going to Italy and expect everyone to dance to merengue.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Reggae is not our music. This is like going to Italy and expect everyone to dance to merengue.

Not 'our' music? Dont understand that statement as a music lover. Music is an international language that has no barriers, especially today, IMO.
Good music crosses all socio-economic , class, race and nationality barriers. It truly is universal and yes certain types of music may be more popular than others or not but for example their is Cuban rap and reggae. The Cuban artists were influenced by other artists but made it their own.

Actually to correct you, there is a HUGE reggae scene in Italy. MANY major Jamaican reggae artists 'regularly' perform in Italy and draw bigger crowds than in Jamaica. I met an Italian girl at Casa Oliveres in POP and when she found out my background was telling me about all the reggae artists she has seen in Italy and how she loves the music. Also in Japan reggae and dancehall is huge.
A few years ago dancehall queen championships in Jamaica was won by a Japanese woman.
There is even a very popular ORTHODOX JEWISH reggae singer, reggae is popular in Isreal too, Matisyahu.

Look at this thread there is obviously an interest from many to hear some reggae, maybe with a Dominican twist. Nothing wrong with that.

So in the words of Mr. Marley when it comes to all types of music 'One Love'.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
A few years ago dancehall queen championships in Jamaica was won by a Japanese woman.
There is even a very popular ORTHODOX JEWISH reggae singer, reggae is popular in Isreal too, Matisyahu.

I remember seeing a youtube clip of that competition. The young japanese lady in question goes by the stage name "Junko". And she was very good indeed.

And I agree with you. Many styles of music have crossed so many cultural boundaries that it's now very hard to say which country "owns" it.

For example, reggaton has been mainly performed by PR and DR artists. But the very first reggaeton artists were Panamanian. And salsa is danced in many forms all throughout latin america.

Vince.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I remember seeing a youtube clip of that competition. The young japanese lady in question goes by the stage name "Junko". And she was very good indeed.

Vince.

Yes Junko went to Jamaica...her first time in the country. Got on a bus and the other Jamaican dancers in the competition thought she couldnt dance like them and right there on the bus, on the way to the competition showed them a few moves and they immediately respected her and embraced her.
The only English words she knew was My name is Junko and I am from Japan and was the 1st non Jamaican win dancehall queen contest.
The crowd loved her incorporation of her gymanistic moves into her routines and she influenced how dancehall is danced today. She is highly respected in the community. She frequently tours with reggae artists all over the world from the Caribbean to Europe, and in amny reggae music videos. She has a lot of videos on youtube.
I met this Japanese guy last year in downtown Toronto and he was wearing a Shabba Ranks tshirt and he said that he came to Canada to learn English and then he was going to go to Jamaica. You should of heard him speaking patois with a strong Japanese accent...too cute!
As I said music is universal and brings unity.

May 31, 2005
All I am trying to say is that Merengue is not a dance that everyone in Italy (or insert any other country that is not latin american) would automatically know so that is why I say that you cannot expect Dominicans to know reggae or to dance to it well.

And when I said our music I mean that it is not merengue, bachata or salsa which is more popular and more people know how to dance to than reggae.

I love listening to reggae music but I don't dance to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.