Importing a Nissan Murano 2004 to DR

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
Hey how are you guys. I am actually living in New York as a International Student (F1 visa). I have been saving some money in order to buy a Nissan Murano and send it to the Dominican Republic. I am thinking to go back to my country to live when I finish my Master's Degree. I already bought the SUV last month, and I would like to send it to DR at the end of this year. I would like to know how much approximately would it cost?? Am I eligible for the Ley 168 de Aduanas?? Is this considered a Luxury vehicle??

Here are some specifications that might help to answer my questions?

Nissan Murano 2004 AWD SL
3,498cc 3.5L V-6 245 HP engine
EPA highway (mpg): 24 and EPA city (mpg): 20
Multi-point injection fuel system
21.7 gallon main premium unleaded fuel tank
Power: 183 kW , 245 HP SAE @ 5,800 rpm; 246 ft lb , 334 Nm @ 4,400 rpm

I would really appreciate your help...

Thanks in advance.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hey how are you guys. I am actually living in New York as a International Student (F1 visa). I have been saving some money in order to buy a Nissan Murano and send it to the Dominican Republic. I am thinking to go back to my country to live when I finish my Master's Degree. I already bought the SUV last month, and I would like to send it to DR at the end of this year. I would like to know how much approximately would it cost?? Am I eligible for the Ley 168 de Aduanas?? Is this considered a Luxury vehicle??

Thanks in advance.

Check the production date on the driver`s door. Make sure it is not 2003. Or you may be in trouble. Only five year old or younger are allowed for import by law. If older - huge penalties, bribes, abuses on all levels.

If it is 2004 - make sure it is shipped before the exact MONTH of manufacturing and you will have no problems.
Congrats on the smart decision!

Murano is a cross-over, same as RX330 and X5. Designed for asphalt. Not very suited for DR`s rough roads.

Good luck!

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I dont think i have seen a Murano in DR before, is it common there?
in any case good luck bringing it over, it's a nice car though like AK74 said not really suited for rough terrain or roads....

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
I dont think i have seen a Murano in DR before, is it common there?
in any case good luck bringing it over, it's a nice car though like AK74 said not really suited for rough terrain or roads....

Of course it is. In what part of DR have you been? I Go every year to DR and I see a lot of them in the streets.

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009

Check the production date on the driver`s door. Make sure it is not 2003. Or you may be in trouble. Only five year old or younger are allowed for import by law. If older - huge penalties, bribes, abuses on all levels.

I checked the door and it says 7/2004 so I think I would have to ship it before August.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you really want a Murano and have the dough to pay the import duties then that's all cool. A better option right now would be a Ford Explorer SUV, they are dirt cheap in The US and they are selling like hot cakes in The DR, plus because of CAFTA way less import duties than the Murano.

Muranos are quite common in The DR. Like someone above said make sure it is less than 5 years old or if it older you can still ship it down, but be prepared to pay a 40% penalty and also make sure you ship it before the end of April as the government is going to prohibit the import of vehicles older than 5 years shortly and you won't even be able to pay a fine to get it out of customs.

http://foro.univision.com/univision/board/message?board.id=republicadominicana&message.id=103714

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
I am sure you realize import tax on that vehicle is over RD300,000 PLUS shipping.

Direcci?n General de Aduanas - DGA

I don't think it is that much. A friend of mine send a Ford Explorer last year and he paid about USD$4500 including shipping. In case that I have to paid "RD300,000 PLUS shipping", I stay in this country working. Paying more than US$8500 tax for a vehicle 5 years old would be theft. I only payed US$9000 for it.

Jan 9, 2004
As a returning....

Dominican, you will receive a reduced duty on the vehicle if you can show it was/has been registered in your name for the preceding year.

Better to contact Aduana a month or two prior to sending and request a quote on taxes and to be sure of the apllicability of the law at that time.

Contrary to info provided above, my experience is that Aduana merely calculates the 5 year age rule based on the year of the vehicle as listed on the title.

Currently, 2003 vehicles can still be imported without penalty or fear of being denied entry until April 30, 2009.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks in advance.

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
If you really want a Murano and have the dough to pay the import duties then that's all cool. A better option right now would be a Ford Explorer SUV, they are dirt cheap in The US and they are selling like hot cakes in The DR, plus because of CAFTA way less import duties than the Murano.

Ford Explorer??? Are you kidding me. That sh!t drinks, eat, and swallow gas. 13 mpg in city in comparison to 22 mpg of Murano. Even if you put Propane to it, the gas would be a headache.

I was also thinking about a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005, I could sell my Murano, and buy one of them. They are much cheaper and according to what you said the DR-Cafta will help me with the import duties.. Thank you.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hey

Of course it is. In what part of DR have you been? I Go every year to DR and I see a lot of them in the streets.

i'm just saying i havent seen one on my trips to DR, not saying they dont exist. all the time i drive in la capital i swear i've never seen one.
so next time i'm there i'll keep my eyes open, maybe i see you driving around! LOL, what color Murano did you end up buying? :cheeky:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ford Explorer??? Are you kidding me. That sh!t drinks, eat, and swallow gas. 13 mpg in city in comparison to 22 mpg of Murano. Even if you put Propane to it, the gas would be a headache.

I was also thinking about a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2005, I could sell my Murano, and buy one of them. They are much cheaper and according to what you said the DR-Cafta will help me with the import duties.. Thank you.

Trust me I'm not a huge fan of the explorer, but I'm just telling you what's selling in The DR (My brother has a car dealership). Two/three years ago people couldn't get enough Mitsubishi Montero Sports and now it's Ford Explorer which surprised me, but I think the rational is that they are so cheap and have a lot more room than Montero Sport, Murano, RCV, etc...

...and BTW it is correct that a Murano costs more than 300k pesos in import duties. I would advise against the Cherokee (crappy quality, very expensive to fix in The DR, gas guzzler and not selling very good if you decide to).

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
anyone know the MPG for a Honda CRV? although the Murano is MUCH better looking i dont know which is easier to fix/work on or more reliable in the long run.
where will you be driving your Murano?
i just am not sure what kind of money you will be charged for importing this car in...i would say save yourself the headache and get a CRV in DR but people tend to mess with the cars or try to rip you off....plus you already worked/saved up for your Murano...i hope la aduana doesnt hit your pockets....

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
i'm just saying i havent seen one on my trips to DR, not saying they dont exist. all the time i drive in la capital i swear i've never seen one.
so next time i'm there i'll keep my eyes open, maybe i see you driving around! LOL, what color Murano did you end up buying? :cheeky:

The color is Gold.

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009
anyone know the MPG for a Honda CRV? although the Murano is MUCH better looking i dont know which is easier to fix/work on or more reliable in the long run.
i just am not sure what kind of money you will be charged for importing this car in...i would say save yourself the headache and get a CRV in DR but people tend to mess with the cars or try to rip you off....plus you already worked/saved up for your Murano...i hope la aduana doesnt hit your pockets....

For the 2005 CRV 20mpg in city and 26 mpg in high way

locorecto

Mar 24, 2009

I would be using it in the Capital, sometimes I would go to the countryside in the southwestern part. I am about rethinking to send my car overseas. I don't want to pay us$9000 to export a car.
for more info about MPG
Search by Model