Tiesto - Off the hook!!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A few of us went to the Tiesto event held at the "Estadio Olimpico" here in Santo Domingo on Saturday night and it was outstanding.

He is known as the best electronic DJ on the planet, and after Saturday, I know why.

Below is a review by Mr. Lu.

===================

A week after Tijs Michiel Verwest touched down in Santo Domingo, the buzz on his performance is still causing a stir. A concert for the ages or at the very least a one night music spectacle rarely seen and not expected in the DR. For one night the clinkity clink sounds of Bachata and raucous horns of Mambo were replaced by the trance inducing sounds of Verwest, better known to his fans as Tiesto (formerly Dj Tiesto). The electronic movement in the DR is small, limited mostly to Santo Domingo?s middle and upper classes or the various resort towns scattered throughout the DR. But the boncheros, a Dominican slang terms for ravers, has a cult like dedication to their music of choice. And if this cult had a god, Tiesto would be it.

On the night of 28 March 2009, the faithful electronic religiolites came to awe and worship at the turntables of their presumptive leader and he didn?t disappoint. Tiesto dropped the first note at 12:45am, at the Estadio Olimpico. The raucous crowd of 10,000 revelers inched as close as they could to the stage to get a glimpse of Tiesto, so they could, at the very least, brag ?I saw Tiesto.?

The energy drove the night and created an almost euphoric atmosphere where the main goal was to dance. During the five hour set the Dutch born Dj made it seem as if the world?s problems were a far away dream. Each note and each transition made each problem temporarily fade away. This is what a good DJ does. This is why they come.

The mix of youthful energy, anticipation and exuberance was amplified by Tiesto?s naturally ability to connect with his audience through his music. He speaks with his hands, with an uncanny ability to generate a roller coaster of varied emotions from the crowd.

A large fireworks show accompanied Tiesto, as beaming bright lights covered the night sky. If the music was not enough to put you in a trance like state, the constant flashing of fluorescent reds, blues and greens sure did. The spectacle was highlighted by a trapeze artists dangling from a large white balloon, which hovered over the crowd, garnering oohs and aah, and several circus performers dancing on the VIP section of the Olimpico. 

Apart from dazzling at his DJ exploits fans almost blew the Estadio Olimpico on various occasions, especially when he dropped some of his most famous productions, including ?Love Comes Again,? ?Rush? and ?Lethal Industry.? Tiesto continued spinning until 5am and as hard as it may be to believe the crowd wanted more. For those who don?t know Tiesto or have never experienced an electronic concert, put it on your calendar. You won?t be disappointed?...

Ti?sto

Few photos:

tiesto_1.jpg

tiesto_2.jpg

tiesto_3.jpg

tiesto_4.jpg

tiesto_5.jpg

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

not impressed poor choice of words.

What?

Anyways, windeguy expresses a legitimate query. Though much of this music is computer generated I must admit there is some level of artistry involved. I have tried my hand at DJing and mixing before, in high school and college, and for as easy as it looks, it is not easy at all. Not everyone can mix. Yes, some of the stuff is cookie cutter, and many don't play instruments, but one can step back and appreciate and apparent quality in the abilities these DJs present. At the very least they are overpaid MCs. Keeping the crowds hype.

The art of DJ is a complex one, at least what I consider DJ. From what I have seen and heard I can say Tiesto is good. I mean you can go back and forth on it and you will never get a decisive answer.

As for popularity, remember socio-economics has much to do with it with most tickets pricing out a majority of Dominicans. Also, much of those who listen to this have traveled to Europe or the US, which makes it more accessible to the DR's "elite."

Finally, I will say this about DJ's, some are accomplished musicians. These concerts are the way they make money. Touring is one of the only ways that DJs make cash. Record companies own the masters most of the time so touring is the cash cow, but look on the liner notes of many other "mainstream" albums and you will see that many DJs are the producers. Many times these guys help produce the scores of major films, like Mission Impossible or the Matrix. At the end of the day what "passes" for music is up to each one's taste, but there is always a silver lining that is objective.

Mr. Lu

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I heard about this and comments that he was off the hook. Now I'm an old fart (not really, but not 18 anymore), but I still would have liked to go. Looks like tons of fun...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I guess skills come in all shapes and sizes. If think Tiesto's core skill is the ability to read an audience and keep 10,000+ people eating out of his hand for over 4hrs non-stop. Whatever way you slice it, that's a considerable talent.

I'm no spring chicken, but thoroughly enjoyed the concert. My appreciation of electronic music goes back to the early days of "Jean Michel Jarre" who still to this day holds the record for the largest ever outdoor concert, 3.5 million+ people at Moscow's 850th anniversary.

Jean Michel Jarre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I'm no spring chicken, but thoroughly enjoyed the concert. My appreciation of electronic music goes back to the early days of "Jean Michel Jarre" who still to this day holds the record for the largest ever outdoor concert, 3.5 million+ people at Moscow's 850th anniversary.

Do you still have your Tangerine Dream LP's?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
A little background on my comments. I have studied music on various keyboards including piano, organs, synthesizers and using computer programs since I was 8 years old. I am an electronics engineer by education and a musician by desire. I have taken college level music courses to fulfill the humanities requirements needed while I studied for my degrees.

Never would I have guessed that music such as this would become popular. Most of this "music" can be created using computer programs that do most of the work for the "musician/artist". I can't tell by listening to this "music" if Tiesto actually can play a real instrument or is just simply the best there is at selecting the correct computer programs and adjusting the settings in those programs to get his desired result. At best this type of music is "arranged" by the performer to create the mood. I have little appreciation of this kind of music, but it really works for him and he is good at it.

(It reminds me of the time that someone recommended I buy some John Tesh CDs. I put them on and couldn't even listen to them once all the way through. )

There are three types of music Tiesto plays, you have music produced by other artists, music produced by himself or together with another DJ, or music he 'remixed' using parts of the original song and changing various components to give the song a diffferent feel. Some remixes are better than the originals, Tiesto's most famous (or my favorite I should say) being 'Silence' by Delerium featuring Sarah McLachlan (In search of sunrise remix).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Do you still have your Tangerine Dream LP's?

I do have a couple, but can't remember the names and I'm sure they are scratched to death. I was more into Vangelis.

When I was a real young kid, I got to meet and hear him in a London recording studio long before he became famous with "Chariots of Fire" or "Blade Runner". Pulstar, now that was a cool track and what got me started with my love of electronic music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZaLkfvQ714

Live version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg7OQyUBP1k

:)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Brian Eno, "Music for Films" was one of my earlier electronic LP's.
I have the complete Cafe del Mar collection as well as Bargrooves. Lemongrass and Buddha Bar are as crazy as I get lately.

My rave days are over.

t'

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
I really couldn’t work out how the figures stacked to get a Tiesto booking in the DR.
In the UK his booking fee is around ?20k, how on earth do you get that money in the DR – then I saw that 10,000 people were there! Just out of interest how much were tickets?

Along that genra of music – I personally think that Paul Van Dyk is better, a nice guy to spend time with and one of the best bookings I have ever made.

Mr Lu, do you think there is a regular market for this style of music? I have booked some of the most famous DJ’s in the world into clubs in the UK and this is the second big name ive heard of now in the DR that has been a success.
As its so cold and depressing in the UK right now, it does make me think……..

May 12, 2005
I guess skills come in all shapes and sizes. If think Tiesto's core skill is the ability to read an audience and keep 10,000+ people eating out of his hand for over 4hrs non-stop. Whatever way you slice it, that's a considerable talent.

Jean Michel Jarre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert, does that mean there are pictures of you floating around somewhere with a Flock of Seagulls hairdo? :cheeky:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I really couldn?t work out how the figures stacked to get a Tiesto booking in the DR.
In the UK his booking fee is around ?20k, how on earth do you get that money in the DR ? then I saw that 10,000 people were there! Just out of interest how much were tickets?

Along that genra of music ? I personally think that Paul Van Dyk is better, a nice guy to spend time with and one of the best bookings I have ever made.

Mr Lu, do you think there is a regular market for this style of music? I have booked some of the most famous DJ?s in the world into clubs in the UK and this is the second big name ive heard of now in the DR that has been a success.
As its so cold and depressing in the UK right now, it does make me think??..

The DR has seen just about everyone that is big in the DJ scene.
Paul Van Dyk has been here a bunch of times.

Take a look at sites like 809k.com & bonche.com to see who's coming and who's been here.

The Tiesto event was sponsored by Presidente and tickets ranged from RD$600-1,500 (US$17-40) Most of the larger DJ events are sponsored by either Orange, Presidente or Claro. Orange has been particularly aggressive in catering to the younger crowd and putting on events in the past 3-4 years.

Mar 2, 2008
"not impressed poor choice of words."
Mujermaravilla

If Mujermaravilla could have provided just a few specific, or some suggestions of any kind, her criticism might hold some validity. As it is, it is nothing more than a cheap shot, with nothing at all to substanciate it.

Windeguy clearly and specifically explained his opinions regarding the creative aspects of DJing. All very valid and thoughtful.

Shows such as th one described by Mr Lu are nothing I would be care to attend. However, I can completely understand Mr Lu's enthusiasm, and can appreciate the talent it takes to be a DJ, doing a tough job of entertaining thousands of kids, who are expecting nothing less than perfection. Not an easy task.

Good review, Mr Lu, even for a "non-believer" like myself.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Thanks for the links Robert. As its backed by commercial sponsors it would make it a bit easier financially than an individual nightclub taking on such costs.

Well you have burst another bubble for me! – perhaps ill send me CV to Orange.

Still trying to work out a way I can use my skills in the DR,
until then im wishingiwasthere……

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Well you have burst another bubble for me! ? perhaps ill send me CV to Orange.

Still trying to work out a way I can use my skills in the DR,
until then im wishingiwasthere??

Orange and Presidente tend to use a couple of different groups to do these events. Pav Entertainment handle lots of the electronic events.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Robert - Jean Michel Jarre was and still is my favorite Electronica artist. He didnt use samples or recordings from other artists...he creates it all himself. I've had Equinoxe and Oxygene on vinyl, cd's and now mp3...started listening to him when I was about 15...

I missed the Tiesto show, but there will be many others and for those that wish they could see him, and/or like electronica, techno, house etc, the other 99% of his time he, and all the other popular DJs play all over the world...Go see Paul Van Dyke, Paul Oakenfold, BT, Chemical Brothers, Basement Jaxx, Prodigy, Crystal Method, Moby, etc. or wait 362 days and go to Miami for the Winter Music Conference and the Ultra Music Festival (usually the 3rd week of March), They always have pretty much all the top artists there in one place, including all or most of the above.

Electronica is extremely popular right now and there are concerts and festivals everywhere...but if you're old enough not to need a fake idea to get in, be prepared to feel too old to be there! :bunny: