The best way to change dollars into pesos. A how to.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I recommend using your ATM card from your local bank in the USA (check what their fees are first) to take money out of a bank machine when you come out of customs into the area where everyone will be waiting (this is the case in most airports, SDQ, STI, POP, PJU). You get the best exchange rate and my bank only charges me $1.50 for using machines here. The banks here charge you nothing. The exchange rate today is 35.6 pesos per dollar. That is at the western union in Samana. At the airport by customs they exchange dollars at about 32 pesos per dollar. The bank machine will generally give you about .1 peso better than everyone else. So right now it would be 35.7 pesos at a bank machine. This is on 4-2-2009. All machines in the country have an English option at start up.

The best thing about this is that you don't have to run around with a couple thousand dollars on you (if you are visiting for an extended period of time). I would just recommend taking out 18,000 pesos (roughly $500 US) each time to optimize your ATM fee. BanReservas bank machines allow you to take out this amount in one transaction. I think Scotiabank machines also allow you the full amount. Banco Popular machines often times only allow you to take out 10,000 pesos on any transaction.

If your ATM card is also a debit card your local bank will often make purchasing things cheaper than a regular credit card because they don't charge a percentage for the exchange.

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
Banco Popular and Scotia Bank allow 10.000 Pesos maximum.
Most of the other ATMs I know have the same limit, in hotels sometimes less.
If you are charged only $1.50 for using machines here for getting appr. 285 $ (= 10.000 Pesos) it might be a good deal.
European banks often charge up to 4 € for one transaction.
The exchange rates of the banks are usually ok.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
BHD allows at least 15,000 pesos

Banco Popular and Scotia Bank allow 10.000 Pesos maximum.
Most of the other ATMs I know have the same limit, in hotels sometimes less.

I always take 15,000 pesos at a time, usually from BHD, but from others as well. Never have had a problem [except once when no $$ came out of the machine - but it came out of my checking account. I did get it back after filing a claim with my bank]

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I took out 18,000 pesos from a Banreservas ATM and my statement back in the US says $503.38 US plus $1.50 ATM charge. That calculates to 35.65 pesos to the dollar. It's almost a wash considering that most places were exchanging at 35.6 that day but you don't have to carry around a bunch of dollars while you are on an extended vacation. I had been in some little towns recently that were changing dollars at just 33 pesos per dollar.

I used my same ATM/debit card to pay 4,680 pesos at the cash register and it came to $130.88 US. That turns out to be 35.75 pesos to the dollar with no extra charge whatsoever. Leave the cash and credit cards at home and use your debit card when you can. Otherwise you can use the ATM machines just as long as they are not on the grounds of a AI hotel. But if you are at an AI hotel your going to get screwed on the exchange anyway even with cash.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
Always calculate the pesos equivalent of $500 US when you go to take out the maximum from an ATM machine. Right now you can take out 18,000 pesos as I mentioned earlier based on the normal $500 daily limit for States based ATM cards.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Always calculate the pesos equivalent of $500 US when you go to take out the maximum from an ATM machine. Right now you can take out 18,000 pesos as I mentioned earlier based on the normal $500 daily limit for States based ATM cards.

Actually this is not correct information, since several banks are currently limiting ATH withdrawals to RD10,000. Please do a bit more research!

I concur with Berliner's post above....both Scotia Bank as well as Banco Popular ATH's would not dispense more than RD10,000 recently using a Bank of America card.

Bank of America does not charge any fees using Scotia Bank machines incidently... and offers a very competitive tasa out of the machine, on par with Caribe Express FYI.

tambo'

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I agree with you windeguy that you should never unless you are in a huge bind change money inside the bank. You will always, I know always is a strong word that's why I used it, get at least .5 peso to 1 peso less per dollar.

To reiterate:
Bank machines: the best.
Inside the bank: the worst.
Inside an airport: absolute highway robbery.
Credit card: forget about it unless your credit card does not charge you to convert.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I was basing that on the banks that do allow the limit in one transaction, such as Banreservas and apparently BHD.

Actually this is not correct information, since several banks are currently limiting ATH withdrawals to RD10,000.

I concur with Berliner's post above....both Scotia Bank as well as Banco Popular ATH's would not dispense more than RD10,000 recently using a Bank Of America card.

tambo'

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just a Head's up!

If your ATM card is also a debit card your local bank will often make purchasing things cheaper than a regular credit card because they don't charge a percentage for the exchange.

ANY U.S. Debit Card with a Visa/MC logo is charged 3% of the transaction for DEBIT card purchases, in some cases it is built into the exchange rate, in other cases it is billed seperately as an "International FEE!"

This is Visa/MC International policy, not the bank's.

I experienced this with B of A as well as JPM/Chase.

Thanks for the help!~

tambo'

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
My banks ATM card has the Mastercard logo on it and you can see the exchange that they gave me on my purchase in one of the above posts that I made. They do not charge "me" an exchange fee at my bank or anywhere else on my bank statement. That is out the door. NO international fee for my bank.

I don't disagree with you tambo but you do have a bank that is also a credit card company. Why would they "not" charge you an exchange rate of 3% when they do it all the time with their credit card customers.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My banks ATM card has the Mastercard logo on it and you can see the exchange that they gave me on my purchase in one of the above posts that I made. They do not charge "me" an exchange fee at my bank or anywhere else on my bank statement. That is out the door. NO international fee for my bank.

I don't disagree with you tambo but you do have a bank that is also a credit card company. Why would they "not" charge you an exchange rate of 3% when they do it all the time with their credit card customers.

I was referring to buying ''stuff'', with a debit card, not getting cash!
They don't asess me this charge when using an ATH.

If I use the debit card inside the bank at the teller there is also no fee, for those that are ATH phobic.

tambo'

PS: All banks suck!

Last edited:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I agree that the ATM is the best way to go, especially for non-Americans.
The exchange spread on US$ in the DR can be so small that there is no real benefit other than convenience and security.

Some bank cards can access some ATM with no service fee however most banks do charge a currency conversion fee or international transaction fee of around 2.5%.

Scotiabank
For foreign currency withdrawals performed at ABMs outside Canada, VISA International on our behalf determines the foreign currency exchange rate on the date of conversion. Included in the exchange rate is a conversion fee of 2.5% of the converted amount.

Who sets the exchange rates for withdrawals I make overseas using my Bank of America ATM card?
The actual rate for an ATM withdrawal transaction is set by the VISA? or MasterCard? international network. The currency conversion rate on the processing date has an International Transaction Fee added. Contact Customer Service for information on international ATM transaction fees. The conversion rate on the processing date may differ from the rate on the date of the transaction.

Last edited:

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
My banks ATM/Debit card does not charge me an exchange fee on purchases and it has a Mastercard logo on it.

Dispute it all you want but I get the great best exchange of the day and no fee with my debit card.

I do agree that all banks suck. The ones here suck even worse than up in the States.

I was referring to buying ''stuff'', with a debit card, not getting cash!
They don't asess me this charge when using an ATH.

If I use the debit card inside the bank at the teller there is also no fee, for those that are ATH phobic.

tambo'

PS: All banks suck!

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
My banks ATM/Debit card does not charge me an exchange fee on purchases and it has a Mastercard logo on it.

Dispute it all you want but I get the great best exchange of the day and no fee with my debit card.
Which bank is that?

A bank card with a Mastercard or Visa logo is more than likely being charge a 2.5% currency conversion fee or international transaction fee by Visa or MC.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
Hard to believe but true.

Which bank is that?

A bank card with a Mastercard or Visa logo is more than likely being charge a 2.5% currency conversion fee or international transaction fee by Visa or MC.

My bank is a small one up in Northern Michigan. Definitely not one of the big guys. I calculate each debit card transaction here after it posts and the last one I did gave me the following results:

"Quote from earlier post"
"I used my same ATM/debit card to pay 4,680 pesos at the cash register and it came to $130.88 US. That turns out to be 35.75 pesos to the dollar with no extra charge whatsoever."

I know it's hard to believe, in fact I should stop boasting for fear that they will catch on and start sticking it to me with ridiculous exchange rate charges.

blkronin

Sep 30, 2008
Last time I was in Puerto Plata, I used an ATM machine at Sun Village. My Debit Card was compromised. There were a few withdrawals from France. I was told that using the ATM at the banks is much safer. Is that true?

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
Last time I was in Puerto Plata, I used an ATM machine at Sun Village. My Debit Card was compromised. There were a few withdrawals from France. I was told that using the ATM at the banks is much safer. Is that true?

I always use a machine at a bank. Mostly because I don't have machines posted in other locations near to me. But I have had credit cards and debit cards compromised about 10 times. I had a card stolen here and it was used right away at a local store. I called and canceled it 1 hour later. All the other fraudulent charges originated in the States.

I have used ATM machines here in the DR probably around 200 times and never had a problem ever stemming from that. Not saying its not possible but as the reason for starting this thread, it's safer to have your ATM card stolen. Your card can be canceled and a new one sent to you but if you carry around a bunch of cash for a long trip in the country and it gets stolen you are screwed.