The Quality of Medical in the DR?

Manuel832

Dec 12, 2008
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask a question about medical care in the DR. I only asked because something happened to me in a hospital in some 3rd world country somewhere that really ****ed me off. This is a private hospital by the way that did this too me.

Where are the best hospitals in Santiago and Santo Domingo situated? how do they compare with 1st world countries like the UK which by my standards is amongst the best I have ever had and efficient?

Thanks

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
well

Hi all,

I just wanted to ask a question about medical care in the DR. I only asked because something happened to me in a hospital in some 3rd world country somewhere that really ****ed me off. This is a private hospital by the way that did this too me.

Where are the best hospitals in Santiago and Santo Domingo situated? how do they compare with 1st world countries like the UK which by my standards is amongst the best I have ever had and efficient?

Thanks

CEDIMAT in Santo Domingo. Plaza de Salud, good as you will find anywhere!
CEDIMAT - Centros de Diagn?stico y Medicina Avanzada y de Conferencias M?dicas y Telemedicina
CEDIMAT - Centros de Diagn?stico y Medicina Avanzada y de COnferencias M?dicas y Telemedicina

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
HOMS in Santiago is really good. Modern, very up to date. There are now the following places where I would go if in bad shape:
HOMS
Centro Medico Cibao
Clinica Corominas
Union Medica

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hospital Metropolitano de Santiago (HOMS) does.

Right now, HOMS is the most modern hospital in the entire Caribbean. That place has become the focus of medical tourism, particularly from Puerto Ricans wanting quality health care for less money.

-NALs
Insurances accepted at HOMS:

2. ?Con cu?les seguros trabaja el HOMS?

NACIONALES

Asemap
Banreservas
BMI
Colegio M?dico Dominicano
Colonial
Dr. Yun?n
Futuro
Gastronorte
Humano
Meta Salud
Monumental
Palic
Regenocyte
Renacer
Riesgo Laboral
Salud segura
SDS
SEMMA
Senasa
Simag
Universal

INTERNACIONALES

Aetna
Ambasador Care
Axxa Assistance Int.
Best Doctors
Bupa Internacional
Gold Med
Tarifas Seguros Internacionales
Word Wide Medical assistance

-NALs

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
question,.

if a person is in DR and has NO medical insurance and something happens to them around how much would it cost... i know it depends on what happened to you but lets say you require stitches..or u have a broken bone...

(I have heard that it will be thousands and thousands of dollars and that your home country will loan it to you or something....something along those lines ...is this true?)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
if a person is in DR and has NO medical insurance and something happens to them around how much would it cost... i know it depends on what happened to you but lets say you require stitches..or u have a broken bone...

(I have heard that it will be thousands and thousands of dollars and that your home country will loan it to you or something....something along those lines ...is this true?)

Can you please let us know which "home country" provides loans of this nature...most curious;). Highly unlikely I would have to say.

Travellers are expected to be repsonsible for themselves when abroad (although not always the case!!!).

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009

Can you please let us know which "home country" provides loans of this nature...most curious;). Highly unlikely I would have to say.

Travellers are expected to be repsonsible for themselves when abroad (although not always the case!!!).

i was talking about Canada...im in the travel and tourism program and we have to learn about insuracne and such....so i dont know what the organization is called but it is located in Ottawa...and has a 24/7 phone line (not toll-free, i dont think) so that if anything happen and a person doesnt have insurance ...they can call ..but im wondering if there is another cheaper way to do it ..instead of paying close to 50,000 (thats wat they said would be the cost)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
i was talking about Canada...im in the travel and tourism program and we have to learn about insuracne and such....so i dont know what the organization is called but it is located in Ottawa...and has a 24/7 phone line (not toll-free, i dont think) so that if anything happen and a person doesnt have insurance ...they can call ..but im wondering if there is another cheaper way to do it ..instead of paying close to 50,000 (thats wat they said would be the cost)

Yes...take travel insurance prior to leaving on your trip! It is widely available and very easy to purchase!!

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
Yes...take travel insurance prior to leaving on your trip! It is widely available and very easy to purchase!!

wat about if im going one-way? thats kinda my main reason for the question. ( i dont think insurance is available for one-way)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
wat about if im going one-way? thats kinda my main reason for the question. ( i dont think insurance is available for one-way)

Well if you call around to one of the many companies that provide medical coverage for out-of-country, you will find out!

Good luck.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Insurances accepted at HOMS:

Quote:
2. ?Con cu?les seguros trabaja el HOMS?

NACIONALES

Asemap
Banreservas
BMI
Colegio M?dico Dominicano
Colonial
Dr. Yun?n
Futuro
Gastronorte
Humano
Meta Salud
Monumental
Palic
Regenocyte
Renacer
Riesgo Laboral
Salud segura
SDS
SEMMA
Senasa
Simag
Universal

INTERNACIONALES

Aetna
Ambasador Care
Axxa Assistance Int.
Best Doctors
Bupa Internacional
Gold Med
Tarifas Seguros Internacionales
Word Wide Medical assistance

-NALs

-NALs

May I ask where this information came from? Who would have more info on what coverage Aetna provides at HOMS? thanks

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
May I ask where this information came from? Who would have more info on what coverage Aetna provides at HOMS? thanks
The HOMS website. The link is my first post here.

-NALs

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
which insurance company is the most well known and reliable if you are living in the dominican for 6 months out of a year?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

If you need stitches or brake a bone it won't cost thousands and thousands of Dollars in the DR like you say, please don't exaggerate, it will cost thousands of Dominican "PESOS" but not of Dollars.

My little brother broke his hip in a "Pasola" accident and it didn't cost thousands of thousands of Dollars.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
If you need stitches or brake a bone it won't cost thousands and thousands of Dollars in the DR like you say, please don't exaggerate, it will cost thousands of Dominican "PESOS" but not of Dollars.

My little brother broke his hip in a "Pasola" accident and it didn't cost thousands of thousands of Dollars.

The determining factor would be whether the injured party was treated in a public or private hospital.
Not sure when last you went to a private hospital in the DR but a relatively minor injury will set you back a few thousand $USD.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
The determining factor would be whether the injured party was treated in a public or private hospital.
Not sure when last you went to a private hospital in the DR but a relatively minor injury will set you back a few thousand $USD.

We took him to "El Centro Medico Cibao" Clinic (private hospital). and it doesn't cost thousands of thousands of Dollars just for stitches or a broken bone.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
We took him to "El Centro Medico Cibao" Clinic (private hospital). and it doesn't cost thousands of thousands of Dollars just for stitches or a broken bone.

Well lets hope that broken bone doesnt need to be reduced surgically with pins and plates...look out then!

Also, since one cant control the extent of a potential future injury, better to be safe than sorry.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

I broke my wrist several years ago and was taken to Centro Medico Bournigal - a private hospital - in Puerto Plata. My insurance company was billed (and they paid in full) over $11,000 US for two overnight stays because the doctor set the wrist twice - and THEN I ended up going to the US for surgery on it.