DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Cookbook-Maria R. DeCarias

While I was at my brother-in-law's home in Ocoa last week, I saw a copy of an English language cookbook called "Dominican Cookbook" by Maria R. DeCarias. Does anyone know of a bookstore in the DR that sells it in English? [I'm told it was also published in Spanish]. I would really appreciate any leads!!

I just bought 3 copies of Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook for me and our kids, that's not the one I'm looking for [it's very good, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes to cook Dominican food!]

Post Thanks / Like

It's out of print. I know that Aunt Clara who is a Dominican cookbook collector as well as author has got a copy, maybe try contacting her through her site for advice. The Spanish version and just about every other DR cookbook is available from the DR1 shop.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that's where I bought the 3 Aunt Clara's cookbooks a few months ago - and how I found DR1 from a link there. Sounds like I'll have a hard time finding the book in English - my Spanish is decent but sometimes the recipes use uncommon words and I'm unsure. I have the Mujer 2000 book, but rarely use it for that reason. I bought a different one on Ebay, and have a great little Goya cookbook that I've had for about 20 years. But I love to cook and there's always room for one more good Dominican cookbook!

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it took me almost a year to find an English copy that wasn't $500 or more, but yesterday the mailman brought me Maria Ramirez de Carias' Dominican Cookbook.

It's a great cookbook that I'll cherish, and I have no regrets about the price I paid - but I honestly think that Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook is in the same class and just as good [and I'll probably use it more].

Now I see there's a hardcover Aunt Clara's available from the DR1 Store, time to fill another piggy bank

And today a copy of Carias' book showed up on Amazon for $105 - a LOT less than I paid

AE