Dominican Cookbook-Maria R. DeCarias

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
While I was at my brother-in-law's home in Ocoa last week, I saw a copy of an English language cookbook called "Dominican Cookbook" by Maria R. DeCarias. Does anyone know of a bookstore in the DR that sells it in English? [I'm told it was also published in Spanish]. I would really appreciate any leads!!

I just bought 3 copies of Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook for me and our kids, that's not the one I'm looking for [it's very good, I'd recommend it to anyone who likes to cook Dominican food!]

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's out of print. I know that Aunt Clara who is a Dominican cookbook collector as well as author has got a copy, maybe try contacting her through her site for advice. The Spanish version and just about every other DR cookbook is available from the DR1 shop.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks, that's where I bought the 3 Aunt Clara's cookbooks a few months ago - and how I found DR1 from a link there. Sounds like I'll have a hard time finding the book in English - my Spanish is decent but sometimes the recipes use uncommon words and I'm unsure. I have the Mujer 2000 book, but rarely use it for that reason. I bought a different one on Ebay, and have a great little Goya cookbook that I've had for about 20 years. But I love to cook and there's always room for one more good Dominican cookbook!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well it took me almost a year to find an English copy that wasn't $500 or more, but yesterday the mailman brought me Maria Ramirez de Carias' Dominican Cookbook.

It's a great cookbook that I'll cherish, and I have no regrets about the price I paid - but I honestly think that Aunt Clara's Dominican Cookbook is in the same class and just as good [and I'll probably use it more].

Now I see there's a hardcover Aunt Clara's available from the DR1 Store, time to fill another piggy bank :surprised

And today a copy of Carias' book showed up on Amazon for $105 - a LOT less than I paid :ermm:

AE