Regular mail to the DR works?

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
The first week of November I sent two cellphones by the US Postal Service from Maryland to Higuey. After three weeks with no confirmation of thier arrival I posted a thread asking if I was SOL. Many people said that the chances of them getting there were slim to none and would probably be a early Christmas gift to the Customs employees. It turns out they arrived last week almost five months from the time I initiated the process. I will never send anything of value the same way again but it does show that the DR postal system works( to some degree).

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I know people who use UPS and Fedex and are very happy. Never any problems.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The first week of November I sent two cellphones by the US Postal Service from Maryland to Higuey. After three weeks with no confirmation of thier arrival I posted a thread asking if I was SOL. Many people said that the chances of them getting there were slim to none and would probably be a early Christmas gift to the Customs employees. It turns out they arrived last week almost five months from the time I initiated the process. I will never send anything of value the same way again but it does show that the DR postal system works( to some degree).

They must not have been nice cell phones then. :cheeky:

Really, sending stuff using mail down here is a no-no unless both the sender and the addressee are compulsive gamblers.
It's like the stories about the one person who was a heavy smoker and died of anything else but a smoke related illness at a surprising old age... you will always find somebody who did indeed get something delivered from the local mail... but you will still find more smokers dying from cancer and people who NEVER EVER had anything addressed to them delivered by the local postal service.

Real World solution:
Simple! If you send stuff to people who live here, foreigner or locals alike, ask them to open an account with one of the many mail forwarders working with a shipping address in or around Miami, Florida.
Opening such accounts is usually free and most have quite good and much, much faster results at a competitive rate.
Sending documents FedEx down here is already more expensive... I can only imagine what it would cost to send "stuff" internationally with them.

Just like with sending money, if the recipients are not willing to go that extra mile to open such an account to make shipments easier, cheaper and safer to you the sender, don't send them stuff.

... J-D.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the US post office has something called international priority mail. the delivery agent in the DR is not the dominican postal service, it is DHL. i've used it 7 times and things always got there, although one package took about a month. most got to SD in a week or less....................