Old Immigration Center, Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

cielita

Apr 3, 2009
Can anyone tell me whether the Old Immigration Centre in Puerto Plata is still boarded up? Or whether it has been converted into a museum, as planned? I'm updating a travel guide and can't find any information on this, neither can I get a response from the tourist board.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There was a Migracion office in the Governor's office, Calle Luis Ginebra. Now there is a new Migracion office on Calle Beller. Neither have been boarded up. You don't by any chance mean the old Court House on Separacion do you? That is now an art centre but not a museum. Or are you talking about the Chocolatera building where there are plans for many things including a museum? Powerpoint presentation downloadable here:
Puerto Plata-Centro Historico

http://www.sea-horse-ranch.com/foundation/Chocolatera.pdf

Which travel guide are you updating?

cielita

Apr 3, 2009
I was talking to Luis and he suggested I ask you a couple things, so great to hear from you. The Immigration Centre they are talking about is at Avenida Col?n and Duarte. It is one of the Victorian-era buildings in the area near Parque Central. The book I'm updating is 'Travellers Dominican Republic' for Thomas Cook Publishing.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The answer to that question, then, is YES to both. The building is boarded up, it is also sometimes used :). I wouldn't have said the intersection of Avenida Colon & Duarte was near Parque Central, it's nearer the Civil Defence HQ at the port if you want a landmark. There are lots of boarded up buildings nearer Parque Central, which was why the confusion. Get in touch when you visit to do your research and I'll show you. Oh and Parque Central isn't Parque Central any more.......but I expect you know that already ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.