Isla Saona trip anyone?

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
Helllooooo!

We are also gong to Isla Saona. We are using the Catameran (?).
Any advice, tips, stories?

Thanks!

Sadams

Feb 23, 2007
I liked it!

I went a few years back. I really enjoyed it! Well worth the trip. Hope you enjoy.

Apr 3, 2009
Have Fun!

Helllooooo!

We are also gong to Isla Saona. We are using the Catameran (?).
Any advice, tips, stories?

Thanks!
I went last year. Don't drink too much rum and watch where you step (lots of stones and shells in the water.)

-BB

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Never been to isla Saona only isla Catalina which is gorgeous, from what I hear Saona is even more beautiful, if that's possible, can't wait to make the trip, all comments I've heard are superlative in a positive way: the best, outstanding, beautiful, worth the trip, worth the money, etc.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Ignore the advice on the run.... drink lots of it and have fun! The island is very beautiful and well worth the trip. If your trip includes a snorkelling trip like ours did you will probably find it very bland. Nothing around but the occasional starfish.

Beergirl

May 3, 2008
Check on trip advisor; we also want to go, but I have read a lot of reviews on trip advisor that both trips are a total waste of time, which is a shame, because the description and the pictures on the tour website look awesome! Does anyone know if there any other way to go other than the whole party boat/catamaran thing?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Waste of time??!!! I have gone like 5 times over my years here and I always had a blast! It's like sailing to paradise.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The alternative to the group catamaran trip is to negotiate with one of the small boat owners on the beach - make sure it's not one of the really small ones though, and that they have padded seats and lifejackets - and you can get a custom-made trip.

We paid RD$5000 for 3 adults and a child recently. Note that unlike the catamaran/group trips this does not include refreshments or lunch. We left early in the morning and were back for a lat-ish lunch in Bayahibe. It's a good idea to take an ice-cooler with water etc for the trip. Hats and sunscreen essential as there is no canopy. We bought beer, soft drinks and snacks at the colmado in Mano Juan (the main 'town' on Saona).

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
I went and had a great time, until we got to the island that is :) We took speedboats out, then a catamaran back. Lots of rum was consumed.

When they brought us to the island, it was essentially into the clutches of a bunch of vendors who hounded us non-stop to buy bracelets, coconut oil, etc.

your mileage may vary, of course.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Went about 6 years ago, great fun on the catamaran and when you stop at the lagoon in the middle of the sea it's amazing. We had fantastic BBQ fish on the island and enjoyed evry minute!!!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
how much is the Catamaran for one adult which includes the food?

Punta Cana excursion programme

I went many years ago with this company. I see now they only do these hotel pick -ups from the Bavaro/Punta Cana area.
Try and contact them if that doesnt work for you. Maybe you could meet up with the tour in La Romana where they leave from.

A very worthwhile trip indeed...and no vendors at that time.

DMAO

Oct 30, 2004
The trip I am taking is going to cost about (US)$60 for adults and $43 for kids. My kids are 9 and 10. This includes: roundtrip on a coach bus, food, drinks, a stop at a natural pool in the middle of the ocean, and a tour of the island.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
I went last year while I was in Punta Cana, was there with my 2 sons 7-9 and we had a blast, Catamaran was nice and the Island is beautiful, we also stop in Higuey, enjoy yourself