Dominican Women I need your help!- HAIR

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
To all Dominican Women..

My step-daughter who is Dominican is arriving in Canada in one week. I need your help. I have absolutely no idea when or how to wash this little girls hair.
We are in a small town in Canada. Dominican hair salons do not exist. I want this little girls hair to continue to be beautiful..Please help me!

What type of shampoo am I using?
Do I use a rinse?
How do I dry it?
How often do I shampoo it.
What type of hairbrush am I buying..

You might think this is silly, but my stomach is in knots just thinking about this! LOL

Thanks for your help.
Sandy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sandy, some questions for you. How old is she? How long is her hair? What kind/type of hair does she have -straight, curly, kinky? Is it relaxed? How does she usually wear it? Dominican hair runs the gamut from straight to kinky. All have different care.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
To all Dominican Women..

My step-daughter who is Dominican is arriving in Canada in one week. I need your help. I have absolutely no idea when or how to wash this little girls hair.
We are in a small town in Canada. Dominican hair salons do not exist. I want this little girls hair to continue to be beautiful..Please help me!

What type of shampoo am I using?
Do I use a rinse?
How do I dry it?
How often do I shampoo it.
What type of hairbrush am I buying..

You might think this is silly, but my stomach is in knots just thinking about this! LOL

Thanks for your help.
Sandy

Not silly at all, I hear this concern often. I am assuming her hair type is totally different than yours and not what you are use to! Well tell us more about her hair type?
Tight kinky curls or loose curls? How old is she? How does her family style her hair now? Braids and boobles and clips?
Do you have a black hair salon close to your community? As you might want to take her there a few times just to get the hang of washing and styling it by watching them. If you are not too far from Toronto or other areas with a more mixed population it might be worth a trip.

But in general......Try to use as natural produst as possible. Use a moisture rich shampoo and conditioner and a spray leave in conditioner. You can find some products in the 'ethnic' section of Walmart and Shppers Drug Mart in some locations. Mositure is the key with black and mixed hair.
A wide tooth comb and plastic bristle brush, something that can easily go through curly hair. Best to style when damp and let air dry.
Once or twice a week shampoo would probably be enough.
You can find a lot of great videos on youtube as well that you might find helpful.
Like this one....
YouTube - My Children's Hair Care

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Sandy, some questions for you. How old is she? How long is her hair? What kind/type of hair does she have -straight, curly, kinky? Is it relaxed? How does she usually wear it? Dominican hair runs the gamut from straight to kinky. All have different care.

AlterEgo..

She is 4.5 yrs old. She has hair down to her shoulders. She generally wears it back in ponytails. It it not relaxed. When she has it out of ponys her hair is really curly and thick. Please don't have me ruin her hair!!!:paranoid:

Any help at all would be appreciated....::nervous:Thanks again,
Sandy

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009

yes a lot of moisture is good ...maybe you could use "castor oil" or any other hair oil. just a bit though or else the hair will get too greasy..another thing .. i noticed a lot of women and teens in DR blow - dry their hair and style it in a doobie (wraping it around the head with bobby pins) after they take it out.. the hair is smoooth and straight :bunny:... i really wouldnt recommend a lot of blow-drying because of heat damage..thats about all i know..hope it helps

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Not silly at all, I hear this concern often. I am assuming her hair type is totally different than yours and not what you are use to!

Thank you for your compassion. I really want to get this right. I will hit the local beauty supply store and see if they have products for her hair. I never thought to try YOU TUBE. I went there and I am very pleased with how many choices I have for watching how to do hair extremly different from mine.

I will take her into the salon and with lots of luck and prayers I will get this right.

Say lots and lots of prayers...LOL

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Since she is only 4 years old I would not blow dry it, do those wraps with hair pins to keep the hair staight, or put any chemicals in her hair, which all dry out her hair. She is too young and does not need it anyways.
Based on her hairtype just becareful not to overwash it, which will dry her hair and use moisture rich and natural products as possibe. A bit of olive oil or grape seed oil is a good easy to find natural moisturizer. Once or twice a week is enough generally. Joico products are good for black hair that can be found in most white salons.
A spray leave in conditioner or cream or light oil based moisturizer is good to put in her hair after washing and before combing and styling ot help soften and detangle.
Black/Mixed hair is generally not wash and go. Try to make sure her hair is braided or in ponytails before she goes to bed and dont let her go to bed with wet hair or it will get very tangled.
Simple, natural and home care is best at her age.
If you PM what town your from maybe I can recommend some places close to you where you can get some products. I am familar with a bunch of places in Toronto area.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
No worries. LOL And its amazing what you can find on youtube! lol
My white friends who have either adopted black girls, step daughters or have mixed black kids all have had the same 'hair' concerns and worries.
Angelina and Brad Pitt said they had the same concerns with taking care of their black adopted daughters hair. They were treating little Zaharas hair like their own and it showed LOL. They had to talk to Will Smiths wife for some help, thank goodness lol.
Natural Hair Care for Kids and Children - Carol's Daughter

I like Carols products but they are a bit pricey and you can use other products.

Afrobella | Beauty, fashion, music and more is a good site with a lot of product recommendations and alot of people who are willing to answer questions! I have seen your question asked on the site many times.

A natural bristle brush and the paddle brush like there are good. Just brush gently and make sure you mositurize to decrease tangles and snags so it wont hurt.
Like these but you can find cheaper versions..

Hair Brushes & Hair Combs at Sephora

You will be ok, maybe more time consuming than what you are use to but it can be a great bonding time with your new daughter.
Good Luck!

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Thank you to all!

My anxiety level has just hit the normal range again. I was afraid to ask the question, but I am so glad I did! Joeilin will be thankful as well!

Thank you!
Sandy

Crystal

Nov 7, 2005
She is 4, so keep it simple. I am a black woman and our hair is very similar to Dominican women. Unless she is outside playing alot you can wash it once a week. Make sure you get a good brush as suggested (not a wig brush) as well as a wide tooth comb. My mothers trick was to dip the brush in a cup of warm water before brushing my hair. My hair was thick, I was tenderheaded (did not like it combed), and down my back. The brush in warm water worked wonders in getting any tangles out after it was washed and it was easier to comb. Also, remember to comb in sections from the roots down. Then you can put it in ponytails with either twists (taking two strands of hair and twisting it to the end) or braid (taking three stands of hair and twisting to the end).
May sound crazy, but you may even want to go to a wig shop and buy some hair to practice on.
But everything will be OK.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
She is 4, so keep it simple. I am a black woman and our hair is very similar to Dominican women. Unless she is outside playing alot you can wash it once a week. Make sure you get a good brush as suggested (not a wig brush) as well as a wide tooth comb. My mothers trick was to dip the brush in a cup of warm water before brushing my hair. My hair was thick, I was tenderheaded (did not like it combed), and down my back. The brush in warm water worked wonders in getting any tangles out after it was washed and it was easier to comb. Also, remember to comb in sections from the roots down. Then you can put it in ponytails with either twists (taking two strands of hair and twisting it to the end) or braid (taking three stands of hair and twisting to the end).
May sound crazy, but you may even want to go to a wig shop and buy some hair to practice on.
But everything will be OK.

SJSantos this sounds like it would be the perfect bonding time....

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
I feel so blessed being given the opportunity to raise a little girl. I was really feeling all of the anxiety of becoming a new mom. I was really scared about her hair. Now, with everyones replies I am really looking forward to making it a day at the salon in the Santos residence. What an honour it is to be amongst women who share their experiences and allow me to grow as a mother.

Thank you!