27 Falls in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
Has anyone gone on this trip? Do we need a guide, or can we just drive there and follow a trail? If a tour is needed, has anyone used any of the tour operators, is there anything more local oriented rather than the tourists trips? If we can drive there and do it ourselves, anyone have directions?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
You dont need to reach Los Charcos with a guide. Once you arrive, you will be assigned a guide once you pay...and you will need them They will accompany you/your group and assist you along the way.

If I recall, we paid approximately RD$400/person...very well worth it, fantastic trip.

Enjoy...and I suggest bringling along a waterproof camera.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Two types of trip ...

Firstly, the falls are on the other side of Imbert and there is some off-roading through the cane fields involved so you need an SUV. Secondly, depending on water levels the tour starts either with a paddle across a river or a life-or-death struggle across a raging torrent of water, and then a 20 minute to half an hour up hill struggle through the bush.

Do you see where I'm coming from? This is not for those who can't swim or don't have a good level of fitness. I am told you are now issued with helmet and life preserver and that's good because people have died there. Also - don't take kids up the waterfalls, I would think it's too dangerous for anyone under the age of ten or so.....

Lastly, if none of this applies and you want to make a REAL trip out of it, then pay the guide considerably more to go all the way to the top. Usually the guide stops at no.7. While at no.7 you used to have to climb a rope up and over the falls - this is a good yardstick for those who think they can make it to the top and those that cant. If you do decide to go for it then you will be rewarded with scenes of such wonder and beauty that you will treasure the memories for ever.

Don't forget your waterproof disposable camera.

BE SAFE - DONT DRINK - TAKE SUN BLOCK - TAKE WATER - DO EXACTLY AS THE GUIDE TELLS YOU.

If you're unsure about going or not wait until we've had a few days without rain it makes a heck of a difference.

Have a great time.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
this is one of the most AWESOME places in DR! a MUST see! have a great time, take pics and post them here, it's great to see any and all pictures of people enjoying themselves at the 27 falls! ENJOY! :)

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
It's a great adventure, and well worth every peso you pay. The guides are really excellent and they will never leave you out of their sights. That means all the way to #27 if you are able to complete. Also listen to them very carefully on where to jump as you are coming down. Also they will not mind resting at spots on the way up which I would suggest.
When are you planning to go as I will be there the last week of this month?

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
We?re planning on going on the 19. I found directions online so we?ll get there on our own, I was looking at tours around town and they all involve too many other (not as interesting) things besides the falls. We?ll definately try for all 27-do you have to be in really good shape? Or just in decent shape?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
You can also check out their website at Sending you to the 27 Charcos!!!. This trip is awesome.

There were a few things mentioned above that aren't exactly accurate. You can climb all 27 waterfalls if you like, the guides don't discourage you not to continue (maybe unless you have an obvious health condition). They charge at 3 different levels for the tour. I don't remember exactly the sequence but for example the first level may include the first 7 waterfalls, the second 14 waterfalls etc. Also, the road that leads to the 'welcome center', if you want to call it that, is not that long, you can see it when standing on the side of the interstate. It is not paved so a 4x4 is preferable but you could drive a car if necessary. You do need to have good health and be relatively fit as you do exert yourself. My other recommendations would be to wear tennis shoes with socks that won't fall off in the rushing water (if you don't have shoes they rent them for around 30-40 pesos) and don't take anything you can't keep on you while climbing the water falls as they did not have lockers when we went. The guides work really hard and are excellent so a propina is always appreciated. Lastly, HAVE FUN!

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
I'm afraid I disagree with Simon and Nicky about the difficulty of doing the waterfalls. We went there last summer and brought along our 9yr old daughter. No raging torents to cross and the walk into the falls was most pleasant. Our daughter was the first one up behind the guides the entire trip and had a blast. A bunch of folks over 50 and sixty on our trip that time and no problem for any of them.
On the other hand, if it has been raining a lot lately the falls are to be avoided as the river flow increases a lot and it becomes MUCH more dangerous. The guides are great and earn every penny.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I'm afraid I disagree with Simon and Nicky about the difficulty of doing the waterfalls. We went there last summer and brought along our 9yr old daughter. No raging torents to cross and the walk into the falls was most pleasant. Our daughter was the first one up behind the guides the entire trip and had a blast. A bunch of folks over 50 and sixty on our trip that time and no problem for any of them.
On the other hand, if it has been raining a lot lately the falls are to be avoided as the river flow increases a lot and it becomes MUCH more dangerous. The guides are great and earn every penny.

I went after heavy rainfall and it was difficult. So the amount of rain in the previous days really affect the level of difficulty.
But a fun trip!

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
We haved done it both ways, no rain and after heavy rain. Would do it again in a heartbeat on the good days (the wife says it is the most fun she has had in her life) but would not do it after the heavy rains again. It become more of a physical challenge than fun and as mentioned before, dangerous as well.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

I am pleased you encountered no problems with bringing your 9 yr old there but the water levels can be treacherous for even a child/adult who is a competent swimmer.

I have been there and loved it (albeit not with kids) but check this out.

Remembering Adam Vitaterna (viewer discretion advised).

I know when we went that the helmet/life jacket policy was in effect.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
I had seen the post before but thanks anyway. We would have stopped the trip at any point we thought there was danger to the kids but it was really nothing more than a great day at the waterslides.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Thanks Drloca

Your post is the one that I wanted to make. You see, sometimes we get shouted down for remarks and advice. Reading some of the stories that at one time were available on this website that went some way to explain the full horror of the events that occured have left me to this day deeply, deeply moved.

It is irresponsible to risk the life of any small child but knowing this country like I do I will always question the motivation of any guide who probably needs the money more badly than common sense would normally dictate, and so he is prepared to take that risk with other peoples lives.

If you want to take your kids for a super-safer fun day out then go to the Sosua Ocean Village water park. Don't go trapsing half way into the jungle where the nearest medical aid is at least an hour away. It's just not worth the risk. Is it?

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I found a picture ...

Simple enough - All I had to do was swim towards the top of the picture. Behind me was another waterfall ready for me to fall down should I lose my grip. As a youngster I was a county standard swimmer, I was stopping for a little rest when the picture was taken having swum full tilt for ten minutes and got nowhere.

This is before they implemented the safety standards, hence no head gear. It had not been raining for quite a few days.

The "guide" took the picture - Thinking about it he wouldn't have been much use to me if I got into trouble eh?

http://www.tech-know.info/gallery/june1/glub%20glub%20glub.jpg

tinyt

Oct 20, 2009
Thank you all for your warning. I will definitely not go if it rained near the time we will be there.

miozio

May 23, 2009
We went on 27 waterfalls with iguana mama tour company, i'd say it was very expensive, we paid $81 per person with a discount. There are tourguides there where you pay 400 pesos instead. We loved the waterfalls though, just watch your steps not to trip over stones, some places with moss are quite slippery! The water is a bit cold 18-20 degrees cel. but it makes you feel good when its so hot here. You get so hungry after all of the swimming jumping and climing. There is a restaurant there on the start-up point but the food has bad taste.

DomRepper

Jun 22, 2009
I went there in the middle of September. It was a nice experiance. You won't need a guide to get there and you neither need an SUV. I made the 12 casacadas tour. It took me in total 2 hours.

Make sure you leave everything which can't get wet at your Hotel!
Don't take your best camera with you! Better try to get a waterproof one. Give the camera to the guide! They know very well how to handleit. Bring 2 plastic bags (without holes) with you. Recomend older and light clothing to you...

Enjoy our trip!
Domr.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Take "sacrificial" sneakers with good soles with you! No flip-flops or deck shoes! Your feet will thank me later...

Status
Not open for further replies.