Lobster Ban

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
No Lobster from April till August... Does this include the Langostinos or just the Langostas ?. And are the Langostinos really a different breed that never grow large ??. I have my doubts on the latter so if someone out there could clarify this, it would put my mind at rest.

Thanks

lt

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
ecological as it is the breeding citizen. Unfortunately most of the lobster fisherman here can't read the papers so are still catching them.

bendundat

Sep 16, 2008
When I was in Punta Cana I saw some type of shellfish that resembled a lobster but had no claws. It remended me of a trilobite or a horseshoe crab because all of its appendages were underneath. I asked somebody what it was but I forgot. Anybody know?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What do they call Maine lobster if it swims over to Nova Scotia?

Tourists or illegal aliens

Not eating shellfish in the month of R only applies to oysters

Lobster season shuts down a few months each year so the population can continue.

The other lobster type might be slipper lobsters which are kind of okay

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
fishermen are catching lobsters and selling them. I asked one dominican fisherman, why he is still catching them when its forbidden? he said, when people are hungry and starving in this country, they don't give a damn about the laws.
Well, he had a point.
AZB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
well true

fishermen are catching lobsters and selling them. I asked one dominican fisherman, why he is still catching them when its forbidden? he said, when people are hungry and starving in this country, they don't give a damn about the laws.
Well, he had a point.
AZB

True to a point, although Im not sure that hungry and starving would extend to eating lobster? maybe the fisherman himself, but he could always catch and sell fish. He is not the one starving, if he is catching anything.

Point is they just don't give a damn about the laws! maybe when they are all gone, they will wonder what happened?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
True to a point, although Im not sure that hungry and starving would extend to eating lobster? maybe the fisherman himself, but he could always catch and sell fish. He is not the one starving, if he is catching anything.

Point is they just don't give a damn about the laws! maybe when they are all gone, they will wonder what happened?
i think he was referring to local fishermen as well. the local boys go fishing every day or at night looking for fish and lobsters. whatever they catch, they eat. I have seen this with my own eyes. Some people are too poor to eat meat from super markets so they send their sons to fish at various times of the day and night to catch whatever. They eat some and sell some.
AZB

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Hi All, I appreciate all the responses but...... does anyone out there know if the Langostino is in fact a baby Langosta ?, and if it is a variety of it's own, is it included in the non fishing ban through August ?. I am thinking that in logic a lobsters a lobster so it would be banned as well but have been told differently. Thanks for any input...

and no doubt in my mind, The Main Lobster wins hands down

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hi All, I appreciate all the responses but...... does anyone out there know if the Langostino is in fact a baby Langosta ?, and if it is a variety of it's own, is it included in the non fishing ban through August ?. I am thinking that in logic a lobsters a lobster so it would be banned as well but have been told differently. Thanks for any input...

and no doubt in my mind, The Main Lobster wins hands down

Langostino is a Spanish word with different meanings in different areas. In America, it is commonly used in the restaurant trade to refer to the meat of the squat lobster, which is neither a true lobster nor a prawn. It is more closely related to porcelain crabs and hermit crabs. Crustaceans labeled as langostino are no more than 3 inches (7.6 centimetres) long, and weigh no more than 7 ounces (198 grams).[1] Langostinos are not langoustes (spiny lobsters) despite a similar name (in Spanish, Lobster is called Langosta.) Also, Langostinos are sometimes confused with langoustines (Norway lobster), which is a true lobster common in European cuisine.[2]

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 5, 2007
Lobstah anatomy

Having lived in and around Maine/New Hampshire for past 18 months, I am a "self annoited" lobster expert!

Tomalley is the liver/pancreas organ of lobster and can be toxic as it filters all poisons for the lobster. it is found in body of lobster and eggs are found on the underside of the female tail, external to the body

Some people like Tomale/tomalley, I just don't like the guts of most animals and Maine Fisheries warned of high levels of PCB's and paralytic shellfish toxins in Tomallley, so I eat more white meat

What a 2 hour trip on a lobstah boat teaches yah

In her body and this is one of the best parts of the lobster. It is called the tomalley even though a few think its TOXIC!!!!

Reactions: Bronxboy