Printer Ink? (unbelievable)

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
OK, a few months ago I bought a Lexmark printer (for my wife's university projects) at La Sirena (Santiago) and the cost was 1100 RD. Included with the printer were 2 ink cartridges, one with black ink and one with color. Now the ink is almost gone and we need new ink. Went to La Sirena yesterday and each ink cartage was 933 RD, so 1866 RD to get the 2 cartridges we need, and they still sell the printer for 1100 RD with the 2 same ink cartridges INCLUDED with the printer! So by buying the printer again, taking only the ink cartridges and trowing the printer away you save 766 RD. I asked to compare the cartridges and they are same size, the ones that come with the printer and the ones that are sold separately. How is this possible? How is this possible? How is this possible? :confused: :confused: :confused:

PS. I was so dumbfounded I didn't buy nothing.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The ink cartridges that come with a printer are not full when you buy a printer, at least that is an old HP trick, I don't know about Lexmark.

You need to find grey market refills, or get them "injected" if you don't want to pay the piper.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are plenty of services that do this most satisfactorily!! Believe me!!
Send me a PM and I'll help you out...

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
there are ink refill stores all over santiago. they charge reasonable prices and fill the cartridge to the max. I am sure you have the same stores where you live.
AZB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, the lesson hard learned (don't be ashamed, so did I), is that one, when shopping for a printer ought to check availability and pricing as well as "mileage" of the corresponding cartridges FIRST (before buying the printer). One may even want to consult with local computer stores as to their ability to refill particular cartridge types.

Btw: Lexmark's consumer line is notorious for offering printers next to free but then screwing you with their cartridges.

Try to find an HP printer which may include scanning abilities which uses HP #21 and #22 cartridges. These are cartridges used in many different printers (so they will stay available locally for times to come) and which are being refilled successfully at almost every street corner store.

... J-D.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
All good advise in this thread and yes the cartridges that come with the printer typically are called "starter" cartridges. Most ink cartridges give a fair estimate of how many pages you should get from it. Add that and the cost of the paper you use and you should have a good idea of the cost per page for the printer you intend on buying.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
That's pretty typical. It's not a DR problem, but a printer manufacturer problem. Here in The US is actually worse, because refilling the cartridges is not as cheap as in The DR. My solution is I hardly ever print anything to hard copy if I can avoid it and if really need to then try to do it at work.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Low cost generic cartridges are now available for most brands, but the leader in this area has always been Epson. Their inks have always been non-propriatory.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just refill them, case closed. I see refill stores everywhere in santiago. They practically refill anything and make it work.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have guided two posters to my favorite place** across from the old airport, and suggested that they avail themselves of a good additional service. Printer cleaning. After a few months of hard work there is a ton of "stuff" inside the printer. a good cleaning is cheap and makes things work all the better.

** (In back of the small car dealer there on the corner, AZB :) )

HB

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
dont waste ink

Print only what you need.

Always highlight what you need printed, then print only the selection. Many people print a whole web page (several printed pages) just to get a short recipe.

Print in draft mode when possible.

Sometimes it cheaper to have photos

Nov 25, 2008
hey hillbilly, I used them once [for my laser printer] and they are a peice of #$^*((#$, to put it lightly, yes they charge less but had problems with the cartrige after 2 weeks, took it back and got a little run around; decided to go behind Ferreteria Bellon and they were about $450 more expensive; but as the saying goes

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry to hear that. I have only had good service. However, I can relate to that...sorry it happened. What kind of cartridge was that??

And that place behind Bellon is also quite good, just not that close to me....

HB

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Update:

Hillbilly thank for the PM, but it was too complicated for me to find.

Went to the SOLIMSA behind the Ferretaria Bellon and they refilled them for 300RD for the black ink and 350RD for the color. Before them i went to the internet cafe at the plaza down the road from PUCMM (going toward UTESA on the left side) and they told me this specific cartridges could not be refilled. Thank you all for your replies and help. :)

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Need you help again. :(

OK, i got the cartridges refilled and i can feel by the weight that they are full, also when i slide my finger i see the ink coming out, but the PC does not detect the ink inside and i can not print! The cartridges are full but the PC can not detect it. It there anything i can do about this? Thanks.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Try

Need you help again. :(

OK, i got the cartridges refilled and i can feel by the weight that they are full, also when i slide my finger i see the ink coming out, but the PC does not detect the ink inside and i can not print! The cartridges are full but the PC can not detect it. It there anything i can do about this? Thanks.

I assume that these cartridges have a copper contact on the bottom or side, try cleaning with Alcohol. both the cartridge and printer contacts

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
If you have an Epson, you must get a chip resetter. EPSON CHIP RESETTER - REFILL EPSON CARTRIDGES I tried for a long time to refill cartridges, but there is a chip on the cartridge that tells the computer what level the ink is. It is an estimate and sometimes registers incorrect information when the cartiidge still has ink. There was a company out of California who sold chip resetters for Epson Ink cartridges. Some refill companies have the device and will reset your cartridge when they refill it. Others have no idea. Good luck with your Epson.