Cellular/blackberry question

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
hi guys, ok my fellow tech experts.
Can anyone tell me if the following 2 phones will work in DR if I take them to get activated and which carriers?

Blackberry 8700c, i believe it is a locked phone with a SIM card [my bet is Orange knows how to deal with this type phone]

Palm Treo 650, for cingular, not sure what carrier in DR would work with this phone?

any information would help, i want to take them down for personal use if possible! :)
GRACIAS

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i might as well also add in here, has anyone actually used these smartphones for data on a PREPAID card? i dont know how much the carriers cost/charge for this, or if it is even available as an option using prepaid cards, but i intend to use these phones strictly for calling, texting, and if need be emailing. NOT surfing the web.....

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If the Blackberrry has a sim card, it can be activated with either Orange or Claro (they have recently - in the last year or so - begun GSM service).

The Palm Treo, if it is Cingular, is most likely TDMA which is not usable in the DR. If it has a sim card, see above.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
thanks Profe, the treo is cingular and does NOT have a SIM card....damn it, am i out of luck then with that phone? sigh.....i'll look up the phone specs and see what the deal is....i'll take it with me to test otherwise i guess i can use the Blackie.
i didnt know Claro started now with GSM, thats good to know.
now i wonder what the data plans cost if it's PREPAID....sigh

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Phone & Wireless Specs
The GSM Treo has a quad band wireless radio that uses the 850/900/1800/1900 MHz frequencies. The CDMA model uses a digital dual-band CDMA/1xRTT radio operating on the 800/1900 MHz bands. The GSM model also support high speed EDGE networks with data speeds averaging up to 135 kilobits per second (kbps).

now i have to figure out what i have....sigh

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The specs for the Treo 650 for Cingular say it is GSM. Are you certain it doesn't have a sim card?

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Wow

The specs for the Treo 650 for Cingular say it is GSM. Are you certain it doesn't have a sim card?

just FOUND it! LOL it was hidden in a little slide out compartment in the back. not like the blackies where they hide behind the battery...LOL
its a small slide out compartment right next to the antenna! how weird....i didnt even see it!
ok good so this is GSM i can go Claro and or Orange....whew
i am going to their websites to see if they offer prepaid data plans....afraid to see how much that costs! yikes
otherwise im sticking to calls and texts! sheesh :cheeky:

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
just FOUND it! LOL it was hidden in a little slide out compartment in the back. not like the blackies where they hide behind the battery...LOL
its a small slide out compartment right next to the antenna! how weird....i didnt even see it!
ok good so this is GSM i can go Claro and or Orange....whew
i am going to their websites to see if they offer prepaid data plans....afraid to see how much that costs! yikes
otherwise im sticking to calls and texts! sheesh :cheeky:
Their data plans cost more than the plans here in America my wife has a blackberry and i tell her to use the wifi part of it the data plans are too expensive. And by the way Orange has the best service but Claro has the best prices

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
ok another question

Their data plans cost more than the plans here in America my wife has a blackberry and i tell her to use the wifi part of it the data plans are too expensive. And by the way Orange has the best service but Claro has the best prices

as i am discovering all the goodies of the treo 650, does this phone have wi-fi capabilities? that way i dont have to use expensive data plans? honestlyt if it costs too much for me to use data on a prepaid plan then screw it, i will use the phone for voice and texting. the hell with the rest.....sigh :surprised

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
thanks

I have a blackberry hooked up with claro, they gave me a hard time hooking it up for some unknown reason. You can not get data plans on prepaid only on phones with monthly contracts.

i figured that data plans are not available via prepaid options. that pretty much answers my questions about data.
no biggie, i can still use them for voice and texting. thanks bp! :cheeky:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
ok i am back....maybe i should start a new thread for this but i figure i might as well continue using my original thread....
i did a search here and didnt find much on what people prefer here on the island: GSM or CDMA?
and second question, who has better GSM coverage? Claro or Orange?

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
ok i am back....maybe i should start a new thread for this but i figure i might as well continue using my original thread....
i did a search here and didnt find much on what people prefer here on the island: GSM or CDMA?
and second question, who has better GSM coverage? Claro or Orange?
Orange has the best coverage between the teo but Claro has the best prices