airport fines for longer stay

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I searched but could not find a current list of fines for staying longer here than the period allowed for visitors. I see a list from 2007. For example is the fine for 3-9 months still 500 pesos? Thanks for any info.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I searched but could not find a current list of fines for staying longer here than the period allowed for visitors. I see a list from 2007. For example is the fine for 3-9 months still 500 pesos? Thanks for any info.

Currently the fine for 3 - 9 months is $1000RD Pesos.

See:

:: Tarifas

Gregg

Oops - posted at the same time - LOL.

G.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Btw. as I understand, it is NOT a FINE. It is a tax. The initial Tax you pay at entry covers the first few weeks only. Stay longer, pay more tax.

Technically I believe that, based on international treaties, on a tourist visa-free-entry you would only be "illegal", "irregular" or overstaying after staying over 90 days (?-I believe) without an extension or having properly submitted for extension, change of status like residency or other special extended visas (like a student or business visa).

... J-D.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Btw. as I understand, it is NOT a FINE. It is a tax. The initial Tax you pay at entry covers the first few weeks only. Stay longer, pay more tax.

Technically I believe that, based on international treaties, on a tourist visa-free-entry you would only be "illegal", "irregular" or overstaying after staying over 90 days (?-I believe) without an extension or having properly submitted for extension, change of status like residency or other special extended visas (like a student or business visa).

... J-D.

Fine...
Tax...

Semantics, IMHO... (you may be correct, I really don't know).

BUT if we are going to be technical the Tourist Card (which is what the vast majority of tourists to the DR enter with) is NOT a Tourist Visa. They are separate items for use by Nationals of different countries.

Tourist Card Country List
Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom - Tourist Card

Tourist Visa Countries by Exception
Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom - Tourist Visa

And some require neither as per the second link above.

Gregg

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Fine...
Tax...

Semantics, IMHO... (you may be correct, I really don't know).

BUT if we are going to be technical the Tourist Card (which is what the vast majority of tourists to the DR enter with) is NOT a Tourist Visa. They are separate items for use by Nationals of different countries.

Tourist Card Country List
Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom - Tourist Card

Tourist Visa Countries by Exception
Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom - Tourist Visa

And some require neither as per the second link above.

Gregg

Absolutely correct!

... a tourist visa-free-entry ...
... J-D.

Tax or fine, is not just a detail. Fine means you did something you have to be punished for... like being illegal. Tax, doesn't.

Btw, to the contrary to the DR, most countries do NOT allow status changes to people having entered their country on such a visa-free entry.

... J-D.

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
We leave in 2 more weeks and friends that were here the same as us just left one week ago, and when they left they paid $1000 pesos each from Feb 10 - March 31 So hopefully the tarriffs posted (didn't peek yet) are up to date. All I know is we are going with $2000 for both of us and hope that is enough. Prior to hearing from our friends we thought it would be $800 DOP each but? guess not.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Thanks for the link. I am going to print it and bring it with me to the airport in case there is any misunderstanding. Always leave without a problem and pay the tax - ok, not fine - but you never know when you will run into something.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I thought the rates were posted in the airport, but I could be wrong.

Yes, they are... or have to be. However, there is at times some tigueraje going on. For once, they may try to convince you that these are not the up to date rates. Then, they may try to forget to give you the receipt. I once had to "remind" them of it. Sure enough, I got stopped right after paying by some idiot asking me if I had paid, to which I replied "yes" and then said I didn't because I would have to have a "so and so slip" I smacked the receipt right into his face and told him in no uncertain terms where up to he could stick his tigueraje de barrio... all that, in "Dominican". He immediately became utterly apologetic.

Short, it's not a bad idea to bring along a print out of the rates. I did, and my guests always get one along on their trip back home.

... J-D.

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
WEll I clicked on the Tarriff link and it came up 404 Error.. so no luck.? Anyhow I should have bookmarked it when I did have it. Could anyone please send me a note with the link in it. Thanks. for some reason the 2 colon marks with Tarrif after it just won't work? Hopefully there is a way I can connect.......

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Direccion General de Migracion

B - IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA
<LABEL style="FONT-SIZE: 14px; COLOR: #003366; FONT-FAMILY: geneva">VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA</LABEL>
<TABLE class=tarifas cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=570 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>CODIGO</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>DESCRIPCION</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>TARIFA VIGENTE</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#cccccc>VIP</TD></TR><TR><TD>032</TD><TD>De 30 dias a 3 meses</TD><TD align=right>800.00 </TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR><TR><TD>033</TD><TD>De 3 meses a 9 meses</TD><TD align=right>1,000.00 </TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR><TR><TD>034</TD><TD>De 9 meses a 1 a?o</TD><TD align=right>2,500.00</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR><TR><TD>035</TD><TD>De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses</TD><TD align=right>4,000.00</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR><TR><TD>036</TD><TD>De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os</TD><TD align=right>5,000.00</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR><TR><TD>037</TD><TD>De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses</TD><TD align=right>6,500.00</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR><TR><TD>038</TD><TD>De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os</TD><TD align=right>9,000.00</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR><TR><TD>039</TD><TD>De 2 a?os a 5 a?os</TD><TD align=right>14,000.00</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR><TR><TD>040</TD><TD>De 5 a?os en adelante</TD><TD align=right>17,000.00</TD><TD align=middle>-</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

michelleh

Jan 25, 2009
Hi,

I was just wondering what the situation is if someone leaves the DR for a short trip, and pays the tax. Would re-entering the country a few days later with a new tourist card be hassle-free? Or would there be problems because technically a stay of longer than 30 days is illegal? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

redheadkatie

May 2, 2009
Hmm...that's interesting. I was there working for 6 months and they didn't ask me for any money when I left. I returned for a month vacation after that and they didn't ask for money that time either.

Jan 17, 2009
We leave in 2 more weeks and friends that were here the same as us just left one week ago, and when they left they paid $1000 pesos each from Feb 10 - March 31 So hopefully the tarriffs posted (didn't peek yet) are up to date. All I know is we are going with $2000 for both of us and hope that is enough. Prior to hearing from our friends we thought it would be $800 DOP each but? guess not.

from 30 days to 3 months is RD$800, not RD$1,000. That's what is posted on their site and what they were charging in May. Someone who had overstayed for just 1 day paid RD$800, whereas I overstayed by almost five months and paid RD$1000. They took us to an office to pay. Several people in line there. BTW, this was in POP. The price in US dollars was much more expensive than paying in pesos. They're still converting at RD$30/US$1.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I plan on flying this week and i have not left the country for almost 5 years, I as yet do not have my residency (yes yes tut tut i know!!), but i lost my passport a few years ago and had it repleaced here in santo domingo so my new passport does not have the date i entered the country, and i presume people loose their original tourist card/visa all the time.

So how can they tell how long i have been here?

Obviously if i can get away with paying a 14,00 peso fine/tax i will, naturally i will be fluttering my eyelashes more than normal!! ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It might not turn out to be an issue but......... :cheeky: what if they say you can't possibly be here because you never entered? So you can't be wanting to leave because..........you're not here. Didn't you ought to get some sort of letter from the British Embassy to cover when you lost your passport & why a new one was issued?

reminis

Jun 22, 2009
I stayed exactly one month, came back 5 days ago. I was charged 1000rd.
I didn't pay it because I wasn't carrying cash. I had only a creditcard/debit and the woman let me go.
:)

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
They are getting much hotter on this at POP. The last time I went back to the UK a guy stepped out of nowhere as soon as I went through the entrance "how long have you been on the island sir?" he asked. I do have my residency otherwise 'mega dosh'!