Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default airport fines for longer stay

I searched but could not find a current list of fines for staying longer here than the period allowed for visitors. I see a list from 2007. For example is the fine for 3-9 months still 500 pesos? Thanks for any info.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    I searched but could not find a current list of fines for staying longer here than the period allowed for visitors. I see a list from 2007. For example is the fine for 3-9 months still 500 pesos? Thanks for any info.
    :: Tarifas

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiree View Post
    Currently the fine for 3 - 9 months is $1000RD Pesos.

See:

:: Tarifas

Gregg

Oops - posted at the same time - LOL.

G.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw. as I understand, it is NOT a FINE. It is a tax. The initial Tax you pay at entry covers the first few weeks only. Stay longer, pay more tax.

Technically I believe that, based on international treaties, on a tourist visa-free-entry you would only be "illegal", "irregular" or overstaying after staying over 90 days (?-I believe) without an extension or having properly submitted for extension, change of status like residency or other special extended visas (like a student or business visa).

... J-D.

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    Btw. as I understand, it is NOT a FINE. It is a tax. The initial Tax you pay at entry covers the first few weeks only. Stay longer, pay more tax.

Technically I believe that, based on international treaties, on a tourist visa-free-entry you would only be "illegal", "irregular" or overstaying after staying over 90 days (?-I believe) without an extension or having properly submitted for extension, change of status like residency or other special extended visas (like a student or business visa).

... J-D.
    Fine...
    Tax...

Semantics, IMHO... (you may be correct, I really don't know).

BUT if we are going to be technical the Tourist Card (which is what the vast majority of tourists to the DR enter with) is NOT a Tourist Visa. They are separate items for use by Nationals of different countries.

Tourist Card Country List
    Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom - Tourist Card

Tourist Visa Countries by Exception
    Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom - Tourist Visa

And some require neither as per the second link above.

Gregg

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    Fine...
    Tax...

Semantics, IMHO... (you may be correct, I really don't know).

BUT if we are going to be technical the Tourist Card (which is what the vast majority of tourists to the DR enter with) is NOT a Tourist Visa. They are separate items for use by Nationals of different countries.

Tourist Card Country List
    Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom - Tourist Card

Tourist Visa Countries by Exception
    Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom - Tourist Visa

And some require neither as per the second link above.

Gregg
    Absolutely correct!

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    ... a tourist visa-free-entry ...
    ... J-D.
    Tax or fine, is not just a detail. Fine means you did something you have to be punished for... like being illegal. Tax, doesn't.

Btw, to the contrary to the DR, most countries do NOT allow status changes to people having entered their country on such a visa-free entry.

... J-D.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We leave in 2 more weeks and friends that were here the same as us just left one week ago, and when they left they paid $1000 pesos each from Feb 10 - March 31 So hopefully the tarriffs posted (didn't peek yet) are up to date. All I know is we are going with $2000 for both of us and hope that is enough. Prior to hearing from our friends we thought it would be $800 DOP each but? guess not.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. I am going to print it and bring it with me to the airport in case there is any misunderstanding. Always leave without a problem and pay the tax - ok, not fine - but you never know when you will run into something.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the rates were posted in the airport, but I could be wrong.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Virginian View Post
    I thought the rates were posted in the airport, but I could be wrong.
    Yes, they are... or have to be. However, there is at times some tigueraje going on. For once, they may try to convince you that these are not the up to date rates. Then, they may try to forget to give you the receipt. I once had to "remind" them of it. Sure enough, I got stopped right after paying by some idiot asking me if I had paid, to which I replied "yes" and then said I didn't because I would have to have a "so and so slip" I smacked the receipt right into his face and told him in no uncertain terms where up to he could stick his tigueraje de barrio... all that, in "Dominican". He immediately became utterly apologetic.

Short, it's not a bad idea to bring along a print out of the rates. I did, and my guests always get one along on their trip back home.

... J-D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast