Dominican scamsters getting into the online game

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
I just received this

[Warning: DON'T LOG ON]
Banco de Reservas - Portal Financiero

and of course yahoo mail, being the piece of garbage that it is, did not block it.

It seems that Dominican scamsters are starting to play hardball, they used to just stick chewing gum in ATMs.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There are fake versions of most DR bank's websites, a client of mine recently gave all his info to a fake Banco Popular website as well.

The website you link to is pretty obviously a fake to anyone who glances at the URL, and it is likely not even run by Dominicans, since it is hosted on a Comcast IP address in the US. (most likely Spokane, WA)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For folks not "in the know", on the lower right corner of the screen a small lock icon appears when its a safe original website.

Here is the real website: https://www.banreservas.com.do/fportal/default.aspx

A few differences:

1. The small lock icon is missing on the fake website, expected.

2. The login/password box is different in the fake website.

3. The web address looks "funny."

-NALs

Reactions: FernieBee

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
The best way to proceed when you get any email from your bank is not to click on a link. But rather, go to a new page and put the url of the bank in it and then see if there are any notices similar to the email. Otherwise, 9 out of 10 times you've been scammed.

I get emails from more banks I have no accounts with than those I do.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
For folks not "in the know", on the lower right corner of the screen a small lock icon appears when its a safe original website.

Here is the real website: https://www.banreservas.com.do/fportal/default.aspx

-NALs

Run the cursor over the link and it will normally show you the URL that it is going to.

In the above case posted by "Pierods" the link shows as:
//http:74.93.37.60/www.banreservas.com.do/fportal/

You are linking to 74.93.37.60, regardless of what the rest of the line shows......
One can make the link display anything you want, for instance, the above same link is stated below, but with a different caption.

Be a Fool - Give me your Account Number (Demo Only - Do Not Use)

Don

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
I just received this

[Warning: DON'T LOG ON]
Banco de Reservas - Portal Financiero

and of course yahoo mail, being the piece of garbage that it is, did not block it.

It seems that Dominican scamsters are starting to play hardball, they used to just stick chewing gum in ATMs.

I got this mail too a few days ago. I sent it right away to the customer service of the bank's real website. They reply back saying that a lot of customers received this message and unfortunately many of them fall in the scam.
nydr