Prices of everyday items in the Dominican Republic?

gringodom

Feb 26, 2009
I just got back from a short trip to the DR, loved it but the prices were noticably higher than in other Latin American destinations.

I am thinking about moving there, anyone have any info on how much the everyday items cost there?

for example, I learned that a decent apart-studio in Santo Domingo starts around 8000 DOP, and lunches in the street cost 100-150 DOP.

I found some other good current price information on the DR on this webpage

Please add if you know the price of other everyday costs in the DR?

Last edited by a moderator:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I just got back from a short trip to the DR, loved it but the prices were noticably higher than in other Latin American destinations.

I am thinking about moving there, anyone have any info on how much the everyday items cost there?

for example, I learned that a decent apart-studio in Santo Domingo starts around 8000 DOP, and lunches in the street cost 100-150 DOP.

I found some other good current price information on the DR on this webpage

Please add if you know the price of other everyday costs in the DR?

First, welcome to DR1!

A few things. Most people on this site (and virtually all Dominicans) prefer for the country to be referred to as the Dominican Republic, DR or RD. Also, the more well-established reference to the peso is RD.

The prices you're getting actually sound pretty darn good. 8000RD is about $230USD, and lunch is about $4-5USD, not a bad deal in any country. Be careful, as cheaper is not necessarily better, especially as a green gringo looking for a place to live. If you know a local you trust, consider having them negotiate on your behalf. That way, you're more likely to get a fair price in a good and safe location.

If you want to pay less, you might do better in a smaller town or the campo (countryside). But as you might imagine, the smaller the community the fewer live/work/cultural/worship/lifestyle/etc. options you will likely have.

Sounds like you're just getting into the swing of things. Here's a few guidelines:

1) Don't make any permanent decisions or major purchases for at least the first 6 months to a year.

2) Learn as much Spanish as possible before moving there.

3) If at all possible, live there in small initial doses. Go for two weeks, then two months, then longer.

4) Try to have either independent sources of income or a job by a foreign-based company) in place before you arrive. DO NOT expect to make anywhere near your home country income in DR.

5) DO NOT try to go into business your first month. Or year. There's a good recent thread on this site, search for "Entrepreneur." In a nutshell, you need capital, connections, and considerable experience as a (preferably successful) previous business owner. No, being a landlord does not count (esp. in DR).

6) Take your time in all things. Understand DR is not like your old country, and things run very differently here, usually for reasons it will take you a long time (if ever) to fathom.

7) Many people here are poor and uneducated. They are, however, by no means stupid or inferior to you. If you come with that attitude, you'll be cleaned out and screwed over in virtually no time.

If, however, you come with an open mind, make friends outside the expat community who have similar values to yours, and are prepared to work very hard to integrate yourself into a great culture, you may just be all right.

Either way, good luck,

DRob:glasses:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I think the prices you quoted are very very "optimistic". Last i looked anything decent and safe in SD was 12000RD and up, 150 launch is possible i guess, if you like rice, beans, fried bananas and some chicken, or "ricky-tacky", LOL, otherwise it is more than that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I think the prices you quoted are very very "optimistic". Last i looked anything decent and safe in SD was 12000RD and up, 150 launch is possible i guess, if you like rice, beans, fried bananas and some chicken, or "ricky-tacky", LOL, otherwise it is more than that.

Last haircut I got cost me 80 pesos and my mother-in-law said I was charged too much.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1, gringodom. I changed the country name in the thread title to avoid a pile-on. Some of us can be a bit touchy about these things. :)

The more common way of expressing DOP - Dominican pesos - is RD$ or just $ (as opposed to US$).

The cost of living in the DR is covered in several of the Sticky threads at the top of the Living Forum. Have a look through them, bearing in mind that the most recent posts will have the more up-to-date info.

The Wiki site you linked to is a bit hit'n'miss. Yes, you probably still can get an apartment, meal, haircut in Santo Domingo for those prices, but not where most would want to.