easter. again. :-(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you may not know but i live fairly close to the POP prison. just moments ago i was making dinner when i heard people shouting outsize.
went to check it out - small moto accident. both parties were ok so they started a fight.
as you can imagine within seconds they were surrounded by cheering crowds. i took my eyes off them for a moment and next thing i know everyone is running and screaming, mothers holding children in their arms. some young bloke was running down the street shooting a gun. she fired couple of times then jumped into the back of the pasola and drove off.
darn. semana santa in POP: too much time off work, too much presidente and brugal and too many guns.
now i am reluctant to walk the dog :ermm:

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
Here in America we have sports boxes in the bars enabling one to bet on various outcomes of the game of the day.If any ex pats own a bar why not sell boxes based on the Samana Santa death count?Make a buck off these ****heads who are hell-bent on killing themselves every year!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i doubt that your idea would be appreciated by most dr1ers but i appeals to my sick sense of humour :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im sure things would be a lot calmer if people could get their hands on some cadburys cream eggs

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
How about the concept of really doing what you are supposed to do In Semana Santa? Go to church or just stay home with your family and friends, and making habichuelas con dulce and a vegetarian meal, how about that concept?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
thats what seems to be going on here - streets are deserted apart from the flag wavers - what are they for by the way , is it an attempt to slow traffic

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
How about the concept of really doing what you are supposed to do In Semana Santa? Go to church or just stay home with your family and friends, and making habichuelas con dulce and a vegetarian meal, how about that concept?

i am not sure that was directed to me since i had meat for dinner followed by home made frappuccino as i would prefer to bite off my leg than take a spoon of habichuelas con dulce. on the other hand i am at home and so is my family. sadly those two places are thousands of miles apart.
after yesterday's events it is pretty quiet here today, blissfully no music apart from the loud ear-drum shattering howling of my vecino, i suppose it it her take on dominican idol.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Why is that foreigners hate Habichuelas con Dulce, it seems like only we Dominicans enjoy it.

dv8 do you live in a good area of POP? because that scenario that you described is more likely to happen in a barrio.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Isnt that called "wishful thinking"??;)

"Flag Wavers" or Defensa Civil does work, I remember a past easter I was going to Nagua from Bavaro, so I had to go through Santo Domingo (7 hours in the road easy) and all the way the Defensa Civil guys were slowing me down ( I was going quite fast due to the looong trip). I find that helpful in the event of a collision, is better to crash at 40 MPH than at 100 MPH.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Why is that foreigners hate Habichuelas con Dulce, it seems like only we Dominicans enjoy it.

For me, habichuelas are "savoury" and my preference is to eat them with rice...I too will pass on the "dulce".:paranoid:.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006

For me, habichuelas are "savoury" and my preference is to eat them with rice...I too will pass on the "dulce".:paranoid:.

In my country we also cook sweet beans sometimes (boiled with sugar and butter) - as a filling for pirogi (baked dough dumplings stuffed with various kinds of stuffing). This is the only way I ever tried sweetened beans.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dv8 do you live in a good area of POP? because that scenario that you described is more likely to happen in a barrio.

i rush to say that i love habichuelas in general and much to the surprise of my dominican family i eat it poured over potatoes, mangu and yuka (i do not eat rice).
as a temporary measure i do indeed live on the edge of a barrio. we will move out in a matter of weeks. what a bliss. i can deal with the shooting - our neighbour shoots every night in a general direction of his own car stopping all attempts of a theft. my main issue is drugs and noise. i do not take the first or produce the latter but my next door idol hopeful does both.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have no problem with sweet beans, it's the leche Carnation I object to. Yuk.
My friend made them with normal milk and they were sublime.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
i think its the texture - kind of pasty - and you can't even politely pretend to like it or you will get twice as much next time!!! :)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
It is kind of hard for me to imagine sweet beans cooked with Carnation milk. :ninja: I can't even think of why milk is needed for cooking beans.:confused: Has anyone ever researched origins of this dish? Where and how did Dominicans get this idea?

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
It is kind of hard for me to imagine sweet beans cooked with Carnation milk. :ninja: I can't even think of why milk is needed for cooking beans.:confused: Has anyone ever researched origins of this dish? Where and how did Dominicans get this idea?

It tastes delicious for us Dominicans, and that's what count. ;)

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
What does habichuelas con dulce have to do with the original post?

What does living next to the PP prison have to do with the rest of the OP's story?

The title of the thread is "Easter again". Easter in the DR without "Habichuelas con dulce" is not Easter.

Easter=Habichuelas con dulce in the DR.

May 31, 2005
The title of the thread is "Easter again". Easter in the DR without "Habichuelas con dulce" is not Easter.

Easter=Habichuelas con dulce in the DR.

Thank you. I love habichuelas con dulce. That is why I love Easter. And I am Dominican (no surprise there since I like habichuelas con dulce). ha haha ha