Scrabble and bridge

Caz

May 15, 2004
Someone mentioned that they would be starting to play scrabble, bridge and other games at La Roca in Sosua next week. Does anyone know the day and time please, as we are always trying to make up a four for bridge.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
not to hijack the thread but i enjoy playing these games online BBO (bridge base online) is an excellent site and you can see when your friends are on it and play together. you can find a game 24/7 and on yahoo games there is literati which is a scrabble game which is fun. not to take away from the social aspects but if in a remote area where not many players can be found it is the next best thing... game on... ben jammin'

mambodog

Feb 29, 2008
Someone mentioned that they would be starting to play scrabble, bridge and other games at La Roca in Sosua next week. Does anyone know the day and time please, as we are always trying to make up a four for bridge.

Yes, a weekly games session at La Roca is being organised by Sosua Kids from 2.00pm to 5.00pm every Thursday starting on 16 April. According to the sosuakids.com website the games available will include Bridge, Mexican Train Dominoes, Monopoly, Rummikub and Scrabble and the cost will be 100 pesos per person for the afternoon, all funds raised going to support the work of Sosua Kids. There's more info. on their website

Caz

May 15, 2004
ben - I agree that there are some excellent online games sites which have the benefit of being able to be played at any time, especially when insomnia strikes. I will have a look at BBO.

Thanks for the information mambodog - sounds fun.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are weekly bridge games in Santiago. They go from house to house. Just got a new young player (emphasis on YOUNG)..all the other players are over 62 and most are over 70!! (Except a guy from Haiti that arrives every now and then..

PLEASE let me know if you can make it some day...

HB

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks for the invitation HB - hopefully I will make it one day but I'm not very confident driving over the mountains. Do you play during the day?

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
As well as raising money for a good cause, the afternoons will provide enjoyment for Sosua residents and give them a chance to meet each other at La Roca which has Happy Hour prices during the day.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
If you are in Sosua this afternoon please visit the first games afternoon to be held at La Roca. Games available include Scrabble, Mexican Train Dominoes, Monopoly, Rummikub and Cribbage. Starting at 2.00pm until 5.00pm the cost is RD$100 per person and all money goes to buying uniforms so children from poor families can attend school. Drinks are at Happy Hour prices. Make new friends and support a good cause.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
awwwww...i wish someone in Boca Chica liked to play Scrabble or Rumikube. I bring both games with me on every trip and nobody wants to play them.

As a suggestion for you guys tho. Rumikube would be a good game play. #it is popular in europe etc...and it just involves tiles with numbers...so it is not language specific. Great game!

Caz

May 15, 2004
Wish you were closer jrzyguy as at the games afternoon today they had several sets of most games and it looks like they can always fit new members in. Rummikub is a great game I agree, and we play it with our German neighbours and it really does bridge the language gap. We had a good laugh this afternoon at La Roca and I look forward to next week - thanks to the organisers.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
lol. Yeah...you wont believe the names that me and my mother call eachother while playing Rummikub!

I am up for an on-line game of scrabble some time. I've not played in a bit so am looking just for a friendly game. I used to be quite good as me and my ex played nearly every night. I havent played on line for some time either as many people really rush you.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Haha! I am a numbers person rather than a word person - so rummikub suits me better than scrabble. I can only ever find 3 letter words!!! My other half used to play scrabble as a child so he is better than I am - I guess you have to grow up with it! Is there an interactive online rummikub site - at present I play spider solitaire online but I am starting to get bored with that.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
If you are in Sosua Thursday afternoon (2pm -5pm) why don`t you join the games session at La Roca in aid of Sosua Kids? Last week there were six of us and we decided to play Mexican Train Dominoes so pleased it wasn`t scrabble since I can`t spell.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks - I had so much fun last week and met new people. I will be there tomorrow.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Had a great time last week. Mexican Dominoes was fun to learn. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. It's a great way to take a break from the day and sun and meet new people.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
I wish this thread had been called MEXICAN TRAIN DOMINOES as that is what we are playing, so many people have returned to their homelands it would be nice if we could have a few more players. RD$100 to play, all in support of Sosua Kids - please come and join us 2.00pm at La Roca Thursday afternoons.