Boca Chica going downhill !

I just returned from a trip of seven nights. To say that Boca Chica is going downhill is an understatement. There seems to be even fewer restaurants than existed a year ago. The restaurant which is adjacent to Isla Bonita is gone. The owner of boathouse as I understand it is aggressively seeking a buyer. One of the only decent restaurants in town which was Dominican owned is now owned by a very decent Italian gentleman. It's almost like the only places to eat are the fast food greasy cafeteria type establishments.

There seem to be a lot more sporadic holdups of small businesses in the area. Saturday night around 11:30pm some gunmen stormed into the Swiss bar with the two pool tables in the back on DUARTE Street and menaced patrons and stole the cashbox. It took 35 minutes for the local police to show up. The police corruption in the town is beyond measure and if it's not realed in, I cannot see how this area can continue as a viable tourist destination. Even locals are moving up the coast. This beach has always had a really bad reputation for all of the reasons delineated on this form. It's been covered to death. But as someone who has visited this area four times in the last six years I have to say it's really going downhill. A terrible shame and extremely unnecessary.

Reactions: Berzin

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There seem to be a lot more sporadic holdups of small businesses in the area. Saturday night around 11:30pm some gunmen stormed into the Swiss bar with the two pool tables in the back on DUARTE Street and menaced patrons and stole the cashbox. It took 35 minutes for the local police to show up. The police corruption in the town is beyond measure and if it's not realed in, I cannot see how this area can continue as a viable tourist destination.

That's strange, as there are always politur around there and the police station is literally up the street from Duarte. And on a Saturday night?

No way this happens without some type of collusion between the robbers and the police if it took them 35 minutes to show up.

I just returned from a trip of seven nights. To say that Boca Chica is going downhill is an understatement. There seems to be even fewer restaurants than existed a year ago. The restaurant which is adjacent to Isla Bonita is gone. The owner of boathouse as I understand it is aggressively seeking a buyer. One of the only decent restaurants in town which was Dominican owned is now owned by a very decent Italian gentleman. It's almost like the only places to eat are the fast food greasy cafeteria type establishments.

There seem to be a lot more sporadic holdups of small businesses in the area. Saturday night around 11:30pm some gunmen stormed into the Swiss bar with the two pool tables in the back on DUARTE Street and menaced patrons and stole the cashbox. It took 35 minutes for the local police to show up. The police corruption in the town is beyond measure and if it's not realed in, I cannot see how this area can continue as a viable tourist destination. Even locals are moving up the coast. This beach has always had a really bad reputation for all of the reasons delineated on this form. It's been covered to death. But as someone who has visited this area four times in the last six years I have to say it's really going downhill. A terrible shame and extremely unnecessary.

Boca Chica has gone downhill more than 10 years ago, I will not stop there unless I absolutely have to. Its a shame because it was a really happening place back in the early 90s.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Interesting...I was just there a few weeks ago and thought the place had cleaned up its act quite a bit.

Even tho the restaurant at isla bonita is closed (it seems to open and close quite frequently) there are a couple of great new italian restaurants (my favorite being the one that has a little buffet durring the day but has a VERY good menu at night).

I also noticed that there werent so many beach vendors and begger kids like in the past.

Didnt hang out at Duarte at night very much, as there is nothing there that really interests me. It is either Euro families on one block and the hooker bar on the next block.

I will say i have noticed an increase in drug use, especially among the men. But again...since i am not there for the sex trade this doesnt effect me.

My friends and i DID also notice that the hookers all have gotten rather chubby.

I am surprised at the story of the hold-up at the pool hall. I like that place. What suprises me is the time response as there are politur all up and down duarte, especially at that time of night.

I must also say that I have taken to using a moto on the way back home late at night rather than stumbling up that hill to Candil. I've never had a problem walking up there even late at night. And if someone did try to rob me they would be disapointed as I take very few pesos with me at night.

Boca Chica is a mixed bag. It definitely isnt for everyone. But I see more and more families going there than in years past.

I just wish it was a bit closer to santo domingo so i could enjoy the beach (and other surrounding beaches) during the day...and have the quality nightlife of S.D. at night. Duarte certainly isnt the 3 ring circus is was in the past.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
well i guess it is all who you are with. Someone that you have cared and been with for nine years and other good friends on an ok beach (there are nicer beaches near by)...or with a cheap hooker with a view.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
How about Wollaston Beach from The Clam Shack.

As the breeze brings in the floral scent of Moon Island and the psychotic beat of the President of Rock 'n Roll pounds away down the boulevard.

Still can't beat the ambience of Boca Chica: San Pedro skanks, failed businesses, coloform contamination, playeros desesperados....

Una maravilla! :cry:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I've always called B.C. the Coney Island of the Carib. Definitely honkey tonk...but still kinda fun. If one wants pristine beaches go to punta cana and be bored.

I go to BC because i started going there ages ago...know my way all around the south coast (i can head into the capital for a change or go to many other places nearby).

I love going there not only to see one special friend...but to see many of the friends i have made over the years. I just feel bad that I can meet more DR1'rs when there or fit all my previous friends in. When I get to El Candil...i get greeted by sandy at the airport, and maritza (a cook/maid) is always happy to see me. I know the guards and the pool guy...and just feel like i am "home". I know where to sit on the beach (and not get charged for a chair), I know many of the shop owners. And of course know many of the local characters. (speaking of which...Delores was asking for you tambo lolol :)

Oh...and appologies to drloca. My comment about the view with a hooker was not directed at her at all!!! It was just a general comment.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
I agree with you as usual Jrzy. Over the years my husband and I have met many friends - fellow vacationers as well as friends in BC and surrounding area.

Every time vacation time rolls around we talk about other areas but we always go back to see friends.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Oh...and appologies to drloca. My comment about the view with a hooker was not directed at her at all!!! It was just a general comment.[/QUOTE]

Apology accepted...I wouldnt be caught dead in BC...so unlikely scenario;).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I dunno.

Every time I've been to Boca Chica, I get this weird negative karmic feeling. It creeps me out...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Oh...and appologies to drloca. My comment about the view with a hooker was not directed at her at all!!! It was just a general comment.

Apology accepted...I wouldnt be caught dead in BC...so unlikely scenario;).[/QUOTE]

LOL...yeah..i know. Some of my friends from Santo Domingo wont go near SD. But a few of them have come around. the DEFINITELY wont to Calle Duarte at night (actually most of my friends near BC wont do duarte at night...and it bores me as well. looking at a bunch of chubby almost tranny looking hookers is not that entertaining...tho with a group of friends its kinda fun)

Had I dont more research I probably would have picked sosua or caberete...but this is where i ended up and love it now. Again..i just like the proximity to the capital and to some authentic nightlife (including alternative).

Back to my hooker reference. What i meant was: what is more important?...sitting with really really good friends (both dominican and tourists) on a so so beach...or alone with a hooker with a pretty view. I'll take friends any day.

My friends have gone to P.C. and POP..and while they said it was "nice" they were really bored after a couple of days.

Anyhoo...BC is what it is. It is not falling apart (there is actually a LOT of construction going on and lots of things to do near by).

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Spent a night in Boca Chica last week and noticed on the street corners along Duarte there were bunches of kids hanging around with black T shirts that said "Police" on the back. Is it a new fashion? I can't believe an un armed young woman in a black T shirt would stand much of a chance against some of the thugs you see there.