Cable Atlantico - no CNN?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Disappeared about 5pm. Went through all the channels and as of 7 still missing.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I know delancer has been working recently to upgrade some of his systems... I'll try to get more info this week and post exactly what he's doing.

Feb 7, 2007
I am working in media sales on cable system level. Yes, many cable companies in the DR get the signal of SOME (very few) channels from the USA using standard Ku-band systems (DN, Directv) -- as opposed to heavy-duty C-band systems --, and most of the companies (including many many hotels in SD, POP and PUJ) get those channels via DN. But many of those DN channels are being received legally, meaning with a regular DN receiver and paid subscription.

Most of those channels these companies get via DN are in reality true FTA, but C-band, and to get those usually off AMC or Galaxy satellites they would need DVB-S2 / MPEG-4 receivers and those receivers cost quite a money (those are receivers like Pansat 9000HD or 9200HD). Cheaper to get them off DN with regular receiver and a cost of about a dollar-a-day.

Btw there is a prepaid DN system called Dish Now (Dish Ya), you need to buy a receiver DT-301 (sold new on ebay for under US$50 with the new G3 card) and then buy recharge cards in the value of US$40 (offline or online).

EandE

Mar 12, 2009
Rubio, my hats off to your knowledge of Satellite TV in the DR. We're planning on moving to the DR in June and have read all of your posts. With that in mind, I have a stupid question! You mentioned "Dish Ya" aka Dish Now. With their equipment and programing card, are we safe to watch Dish Network programing in Santo Domingo? Also, does anybody have any thoughts on Wind Telecom TV? I know they don't have internet to offer in SD, but how about their TV package? It also looks interesting. Thank you in advance for your help.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I am sure there are lots of people who are very interested in what de lancer / cable atlantico is doing. All I heard is that he is going "digital", whatever that means.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I wish Delancer would bring back BBC America on channel 53....I miss the Brit sitcoms..I asked them numerous times but they just look at you...ya know the look you get from the great customer service reps here, the 'like I give a sxxt' look.