Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Dominos, really that interesting?

I have played domino twice and never lasted for more than 10 minutes. I find it very boring and mind-numbing to play a game where no skill nor intelligence is needed. Here in Santiago in the APT complex where i live there is one Dominican family living on the 1st floor and they play dominos at least 3 hours a day, every day. Friday and saturday from late afternoon till 2-3AM. Those are no kids but grown men in their 40s and 50s. They are playing as i am writing this, slamming the dominos on the table like someone's life depended on it. Is it purely Dominican thing or do some of you "gringos" play dominos as well? If it was chess or poker i could understand, but grown adults playing dominos for hours on end, and never get bored, COŅO!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liam1 View Post
    I find it very boring and mind-numbing to play a game where no skill nor intelligence is needed.
    my friend, you couldn't be more wrong. once you deal and put few pieces on the table a good player will be able to tell you what other players have. requires good memory and knowledge of strategy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    my friend, you couldn't be more wrong. once you deal and put few pieces on the table a good player will be able to tell you what other players have. requires good memory and knowledge of strategy.

U r probably right, I have even seen Domino championship on ESPN... BUT, without dispecting the domino-dominican brain, I do believe that priority #1 here is slamming and drinking beer

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Mpe View Post
    without dispecting the domino-dominican brain, I do believe that priority #1 here is slamming and drinking beer
    100% right

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

dv8 i hope you are right and there is more than meets the eye. I have played it as i said twice, and the way it looked to me was very simple, of the 7 dominos you draw you are putting them on the table and making sure you are leaving the end open for yourself, so to explain. Still very boring. Not to be disrespectful to anyone, but i think on the box it should say "Ages: up to 13". Excuse my ignorance if i am missing the point.
    Last edited by liam1; 04-10-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Excuse me. Dominos is a game of skill, stragegy. intelligence, cheating and drinking rum or beer. The slamming on the table means things to your partner!!! We paly it every night in my house, and it is well serious. People have been killed over dominos!!

If you think it is easy come to my house one night and I will thrash you!! BTW people play for eggs here!!

Matilda

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

personally i do not play dominos. i totally lack ambition and i have no drive to win. i have, however, a huge admiration for dominicans who can hardly read or write yet they are able to predict with mathematical precision what other players have. hats off.

On Vacation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    ...People have been killed over dominos!!

If you think it is easy come to my house one night and I will thrash you!!

Matilda
    No thanks!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In Russia it's considered a quasiofficial pastime of blue-collar men, rather opposing the white-collar-associated chess. Lots of jokes connect domino with firefighters, who are supposedly playing away all the free time between calls and are considered superb at domino.
    But jokes aside, finding a good understanding partner is even more important here than in a bridge game.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liam1 View Post
    No thanks!
    Wuss

matilda

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast