Art Supplies - availability and quality

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Hi guys - another questions:

What's the situation with art supplies in Santo Domingo (particularly paint and drawing supplies)? I'm trying to decide whether to buy a traveling easel before I leave and I'm also wondering about solvents like paint thinner.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and will be of huge help as I prepare for the big move.

Thanks all! :bunny:

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
Can't think of the name right now, but there is an office supply store in Plaza Central in Sto Domingo They carry paint, brushes, canvases, and possibly easels.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Papeleria CCC, right next to Mail Boxes Etc. on Ave Tiradentes in Santo Domingo has a huge selection of oil and water based paints, brushes, charcoal, canvases, etc. -one or two aisles of it....

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Great!

That makes me happy, the lady in an art store in my current city said that she didn't think canvasses were readily available around the DR. :paranoid:

good to know - thanks for the info!

~~anna~~

Oct 27, 2003
The store in Plaza Central has the canvases with or without wood frames built in. They also have colored drawing pencils. I'm not an artist, so I haven't looked at them carefully. But I think they were possibly from Germany ~But don't quote me on that;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Plaza Central place is probably another branch of CCC.

There used to be a large, well-stocked artists' materials shop on Isabel la Catolica, more or less opposite Banco de Reservas in the Colonial Zone but I can't say for sure if it is still there.

TheHoagster

Jun 15, 2008
Of course there are art supplies in the DR

You can go to Bellas Artes to ask about where to buy art supplies.

In addition, whoever told you that you cannot find art supplies in the DR is mistaken.

The DR has an incredible art scene FYI.

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
In addition, whoever told you that you cannot find art supplies in the DR is mistaken.

The DR has an incredible art scene FYI.

Well, I certainly wasn't going to take her for her word - and I'm VERY happy to hear that the art scene is vibrant there! I'm looking to do some landscape paintings, which I'm very excited about. :)