cleaning a worktop

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
does anyone know how to clean the horrible stuff thats supposed to resemble marble on kitchen worktops- is there a secret formula apart from a lot of elbow grease ?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
does anyone know how to clean the horrible stuff thats supposed to resemble marble on kitchen worktops- is there a secret formula apart from a lot of elbow grease ?

If you clean it daily it's much easier to maintain. Real marble tains easy so if you have a spill clean immediately. Ivory Liquid dish soap is the best cleaner to use as it leaves no residue, is gentle but still cuts the grease.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
thank you for your reply - its the reconstituted stuff with a roughish surface so its quite difficult to clean maybe its better to throw away- i tried muriatic acid - even that made no impression

lemon juice seems to work but i dont have enough lemons this year

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
its the reconstituted stuff with a roughish surface

Are you talking about the laminated stuff that resembles formica? Muriatic acid will most certainly remove the shine from that :cheeky:. Or are you talking about the chipped stone stuff that resembles unpolished granite? I inherited a worktop of the latter in the first house we bought here and changed it immediately because I couldn't distinguish between the black flecks and ants. The laminated tops respond to washing up liquid & water, though, and you can use a gentle scourer, NOT heavy duty wire wool. You could also try using a paste of bicarb of soda with a couple of drops of chloro or alternatively a metal polish which isn't too abrasive.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
you need to grind it down with a polidor and then buff it with a different disk to shine. it is similar to terrazo. you can also seal it with a concrete sealer from 8a.