Power requirements

sburns

Aug 5, 2006
Looking at building a villa in the next couple of years. I am at the stage now where I am thinking about power requirements. From what I have read Trace (Xantrex) are the "DR" grade inverters everyone here swears by.

My requirements will include a couple of elaborate computer configurations as well I would like a "home theater" setup for the rainy season. For these I would need clean sine wave power. So what does one do inverter wise in this case?

Here is what I have been thinking about:

Option 1: Put in one Xantrek DRxx24 setup and one Xantrek Prosine x.0 setup for the more sensitive equipment? Allow the DRxx24 to control the generator? Will the Prosine survive in the DR?

Option 2: Put in the Xantrek DRxx24 setup and run a UPS for this gear that allows for additional external long runtime batteries? I assume I would need to have an AC circuit that is only on utility/generator power, and not on the inverter, dedicated to the UPS?

I have noticed that the 3624 model of the Trace seems to no longer be offered, the biggest is the 2424 model. With all of the typical items required this seems a little undersized to me, is the 3624 model still available but under another part #?

sburns

Aug 5, 2006
Option 2 details

I am not exactly sure of the question you are asking in option 2, but I don't see a sine wave option there for your sensitive equipment without having to add another battery/inverter/charger system.

For Option 2 I was thinking the standard inverter for normal appliances and then say a APC UPS (a model which is on-line (ie. battery fed) all the time) with extended run-time batteries plugged into a non-inverter outlet. It charges on utility/generator power and runs off the UPS batteries during an outage. During this time the inverter is running the main appliances (fridge, microwave, AC etc).