Moving to the Dominican Republic, Lots of questions... :-)

soccer_referee

Apr 13, 2009
Hello everyone,

this is my first post but I have been reading throughout the forums for a couple of days, finding interesting facts but also achieving the biggest migraine of my life... :)

I have lots of questions which I hope can be answered by anyone of you here and hopefully these answer will clear the little bit of confusion created by reading so many posts.

I am seriously considering moving to the Dominican Republic after reading so much about it (and after seeing no less than 5,000 pictures...).

My questions are :

1) Should I start the process of getting my Residencia Temporal (Temporary Residency) y la correspondiente C?dula de Identidad (the local ID ?) from where I am living at the moment ? (I live in Canada right now) or can I move to the country with my belongings and apply then for the Temporary Residency and the Cedula?

2) Should I use a lawyer to make sure that my application is approved and expedite the whole process or would it be the same if I did it myself?

3) Once the application is approved and the Temporary Residency and Cedula are granted, do I need them to enter the country or can I simply move in and get them personally when I get there ?

4) I would like to move in with my dog, my car and a few of my belongings. I have a 2008 Toyota Highlander (I will be owning it for a year this end of April), an older small dog (she's vaccinated and I can get a veterinary clean bill of health), a 42" LCD tv, over 400 Blu-rays, a PS3, kitchen stuff (dishes and so on) as well as two computers with accessories.

Is there any tax that I will have to pay to get my things in the country and if yes, what is normally taxed and what is not...?

5) I read that moving to Santo Domingo would not be such a good idea. What's a good city/area where I can find nice houses for rent where, of course, I can live with my dog?

6) I found some good information about cellular phones/plans but I am having a hard time finding information about Broadband Internet (above the 5Mbps in download) as all I could find was ADSL with prices that are literally ridiculous...(over the $200 mark)

7) I was able to find the name and address of a Honda motorcycles dealership BUT I was wondering if there is a SUZUKI Motorcycles dealership where I can buy a Suzuki Burgman and if there is a website.

8) Could you tell me anything about where I would go for all of my electronic/computer needs; which store would offer the best variety (something comparable to Best Buy, The Apple Store, etc. that we have in the USA/Canada)? Can I get my hands on Blue Ray Discs as I am a collector and where would I go to buy them?

9) Can you tell me what reputable bank(s) there are in El Salvador? I need a bank that can easily deal with wire transfers, credit cards, ATM cards, etc?

10) How would you describe the lifestyle in the Dominican Republic ? What are the business hours of operation, the night life, etc?

11) As you can tell from my nickname, I am a devoted soccer fan and love to be actively involved in the soccer community by playing, coaching and refereeing. How is soccer in the Dominican Republic ? Is there an amateur soccer championship (men, women, over 35 and so on) that I can play on (once I find a team, of course) . Any link where I can find information about amateur soccer?

12) I have an italian driver's license since 1992 and a canadian driver's license since 2001 and insurance record since 2002 with no accidents since when I got my italian license in 1992. Do I still have to take the written test and the driving test to get a dominican driver's license...?

13) I have a Canadian Firearms License since 2003 and I go to the shooting range every week. Is it possible to get a firearm license in the Dominican Republic and what's needed in order to get it.

I know these are lots of questions and some have been already answered but I am just trying to get a complete and clear picture without having to jump across so many posts.

Thank you very much for your time and help. It is absolutely appreciated.

Soccer Referee.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Too many questions for a first post! Welcome to the board though, and I'm sure you will eventually get answers to most or all of them. You said you have been reading, but have you used the search function? Pretty much all of your questions have been answered multiple times. Click search on the blue tool bar and type in key words for your questions.

soccer_referee

Apr 13, 2009
Yes, many questions. :confused:

I am just trying to get a definitive picture with all the answers in one place instead of having to jump back and forth between all the posts.

Hopefully I will get some answers. :)

Or should I put individual post for each question...?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Use the search function, it's your friend. Also look at the sticky threads in the Living forum and look at the knowledgebase. Then come back to the board and post your questions.

Moving here without thoroughly researching the country and spending time here is a recipe for disaster. My advice, come here and spend some time in the country before making the move. Living here, is VERY different to being a tourist here, regardless of how many photos you look at.

soccer_referee

Apr 13, 2009
I have been in the Dominican Republic as a tourist (although for only a week) a couple of years ago.

I already know I would love to live there but I don't want to make the wrong steps when it comes to papers or live there legally.

I don't want to come there, love it all over again but then have to leave for all the papers to be done properly and waste even more money.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Don't try to get residency before arriving. Most people come in on a tourist card, the only drawback being that you have to pay a relatively small overstay charge (some call it a tax, others a fine) if and when you leave the country. Once you are here you can start the residency process, with or without a lawyer, although the latter is preferable.

Banks in El Salvador? I assume that is a lapse... in the DR there are several to choose from including Reservas, Popular, Le?n, BHD and ScotiaBank. All have their pros and cons.

Soccer - see Soccer (football) in the Dominican Republic and recent forum discussions on the subject by using the search function.

Using the search function will also bring up several recent threads in the Living Forum about moving here with pets, cars - it can be done but the consensus is that it is not worth the legwork and expense, and personal items.

The lifestyle here is varied depending on where you live, your age group and interests, who you mix with, etc. You can live a rarified cultured lifestyle - mainly in the capital and to some extent in Santiago, a quiet pastoral idyll, a gritty urban barrio lifestyle, trendy urban artsy scene. It all depends. :) You can live in an expat bubble or go almost completely native, or somewhere in between, so it's difficult to know which part of the country to recommend.

General advice would be - learn the language, spend some time travelling around and talking to locals and to people who have lived here for a while.

Feel free to contact me via PM for specific info about the capital and/or the Punta Cana area.

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
hi there
we were just in sosua in march and loved it there we bought a condo a block from the beach..just new when we were there would love it as we would like to retire there..loved being emersed right in the city of sosua and the locals were great. i got a lot of advice and help from a friend that purchased in cabarete a while back..if you need some help would be glad to help..are you retiring or working there..you can get a 3 month tourist card and spend a small fee to extend it,,
the atlantic coast is nice clear water..not too touristy and can walk around safely day and night where we are,..,
punta cana is very touristy
lots of places to rent even people that have condo to do a term with..
where are you from?

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
you have to really check out the banks as to open an account you need a reference down there such as a lawyer..i can recommend a good lawyer down there we are using

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
A warm welcome to DR1, soccer_referee :).

I am just trying to get a definitive picture with all the answers in one place instead of having to jump back and forth between all the posts.

I know this would be easier for you personally, having all the responses in one place, but in reality it isn't going to happen. Human nature being what it is posters are not going to repeat themselves, when they have already typed out this info in the past. I'm afraid there are no short cuts, neither with researching nor with actually moving here. You have to do the work yourself, and it is work.

Moving here without thoroughly researching the country and spending time here is a recipe for disaster. My advice, come here and spend some time in the country before making the move. Living here, is VERY different to being a tourist here, regardless of how many photos you look at.

Robert's advice is very sound.

I have been in the Dominican Republic as a tourist (although for only a week) a couple of years ago.

I already know I would love to live there but I don't want to make the wrong steps when it comes to papers or live there legally.

I don't want to come there, love it all over again but then have to leave for all the papers to be done properly and waste even more money.

Yes I'm sure you would love to live here, based on an idyllic week a couple of years ago. But day-to-day life is VERY different from an idyllic week - the frustrations of bureaucracy, the length of time it takes to get things done etc etc.

Based on what you said about wanting the info in one place, one could deduce that you are seeking the easy road to moving here. There isn't one. You won't discover this until you try living here. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it is probably the kindest advice you will get. If you decide it's right for you and you want to stay, there will be no legal need to leave again. You can do all the residency stuff here.

Your decision to move here should be based on your ability to cope with the reality of the DR, not a wonderful image gleaned from a holiday. The only way you will discover that reality is to come and stay for a while before making the decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

soccer_referee

Apr 13, 2009
Robert's advice is very sound.

Your decision to move here should be based on your ability to cope with the reality of the DR, not a wonderful image gleaned from a holiday. The only way you will discover that reality is to come and stay for a while before making the decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

So true, so true, Lambada.

So, I will only ask this: if I take my car with me, Toyota highlander 2008, is there any tax that I have to pay at the entrance?

And after this question, all is left for me is to pack and go ;)

Thank you all for all the input. :):D

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
..you can get a 3 month tourist card and spend a small fee to extend it,,

three month tourist card? what's this?
i thought that there was the fee you paid when you left for overstaying, but is there such thing as a 3 month tourist card?

Feb 7, 2007
9) Can you tell me what reputable bank(s) there are in El Salvador? I need a bank that can easily deal with wire transfers, credit cards, ATM cards, etc?

Looks like you are posting this on two boards, one for Salvador and one for DR ... and looks like you forgot to change the "word" after doing copy & paste (I know, i know, been there myself, when using the same template for two purposes) .... anyhow, you should first decide, where do you want to live - in El Salvador or in the DR?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
"I have been in the Dominican Republic as a tourist (although for only a week) a couple of years ago. I already know I would love to live there."

I am surprised some of our more eminent posters are wasting their time answering. This has to be a wind-up.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Possibly. In any case he has lost interest. Could have been a cut-and-paste job of an existing post from another board and he forgot to change the country name in one instance, rather than a case of posting on two boards at the same time, as I first thought.