Buying land and constructing a medium sized sports bar in puerto plata

MoneyMike508

Apr 14, 2009
Me and my friend had come up with a plan to start a small-medium sized sports bar. We have $27,000-$30,000 a piece to start off, we have a site in mind, but we still have a lot of questions being that this isn't america.

1)About how much would a small chunk of land about 100x50 with a piece of it being on the beach be?
2)I know you have to be a citizen to buy building in DR but im pretty sure you can buy land and construct your own building and start a business from scratch right?
3)What around is the cash revunue for that sports bar on the malicong? (lol hard question i know)
4)Does anybody have any numbers of any construction companies in the area? Or maybe the location of a large hardware store?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Just a couple of points from the onset...

As you said "this isn't america".

With that in mind I would

a) Not have chosen the board name you did.

b) NEVER have told potential sellers and/or fleecers how deep/shallow my pockets were.

Just some initial comments, we'll see how things develop from here on in.

Just one man's opinion.

Good luck.

Gregg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I doubt 30k will get you anything on the beach.

Ferreteria 8A has everything you will need. 30k might be large enough to build a small bar. When your ready to do it a let me know and I'll have a friend give you quote to do it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Me and my friend had come up with a plan to start a small-medium sized sports bar. We have $27,000-$30,000 a piece to start off, we have a site in mind, but we still have a lot of questions being that this isn't america.

1)About how much would a small chunk of land about 100x50 with a piece of it being on the beach be?
2)I know you have to be a citizen to buy building in DR but im pretty sure you can buy land and construct your own building and start a business from scratch right?

3)What around is the cash revunue for that sports bar on the malicong? (lol hard question i know)

4)Does anybody have any numbers of any construction companies in the area? Or maybe the location of a large hardware store?

Like Gregg said, posting how much you have isn't a good idea.

1. Be careful buying land on the beach. Not even sure if you can buy beach land. Find a good lawyer before signing anything

2.. You DO NOT have to be a citizen to buy a structure in the DR. That statement alone tells me that you don't know much about the country.

3. I suggest checking out businesses that are for sale first, that will give a small idea of income.

4. Unless you have great knowledge of the country and are living there 24/7 to watch the project this is not a good idea

Again find yourself a good lawyer.

This is not to discourage but to arm you.

MoneyMike508

Apr 14, 2009
Fireguy:
a)yes i know its a pretty immature name, my nickname as a kid.
b)thanks for the input ill keep that in mind for the future.

Chip:
a)what is this Ferrateria 8a you speak of? do you have a link?
b)yes $30,000 is enough for a small bar but with about $60,000 in cash plus a large loan it will go a lot farther.
c)ill be starting this in sep, just the site surveying, ill be there indefinitely in dec, so ill make sure to contact you when i start.

Anna C:
a)i understand that buying a beach will be the most inspensive land investment, but besides that why should i be careful?
b)you're right i dont have a clue about any legal terms in d r, im an american born dominican, my parents are the immigrants, but i am bi lingual i was hoping that sets a little advantage?
c)good idea
d)i will be moving there to watch, start, and maintain the project.

^thanks for all the advice, *side note* im trying to "build" any major profit sports bar, just a small fun semi-holding revenue, while simultaneously accomplishing a child hood goal (constructing a building solo).

More advice will be greatly appreciated!!! ;)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Chip:

A ferreter?a is a hardware store - you asked about it in your first posting.

The "Be careful" mantra is for a number of reasons:

a) It is the "wild west" in the DR when it comes to real estate.

b) No matter what you are told, the land 60 meters (approx 200 feet) from the high water mark is owned by the government - you cannot buy it and will never have title to it, no matter how you improve it; and you need lots of permissions (read as muy caro) to build on it.

c) Things happen in the DR for primarily one of two reasons (not necessarily in this order) - #1 is money and you may have barely enough (I'm not sure the loan thing is a great way to start a business in the DR, just my opinion) and the #2 reason is connections and by the very nature of your asking here you are demonstrating that you probably have none.

So I suggest you search the archives well for every tidbit you can squeeze out of them about living and life in the DR and then ask what may still be unclear.

Good luck.

Gregg

P.S. - And the "get a good lawyer" call is based on the fact that depending on who you choose they can be either your best friend or your worst nightmare in the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Fireguy:
a)yes i know its a pretty immature name, my nickname as a kid.
b)thanks for the input ill keep that in mind for the future.

Chip:
b)yes $30,000 is enough for a small bar but with about $60,000 in cash plus a large loan it will go a lot farther.
c)ill be starting this in sep, just the site surveying, ill be there indefinitely in dec, so ill make sure to contact you when i start.

Anna C:
a)i understand that buying a beach will be the most inspensive land investment, but besides that why should i be careful?
b)you're right i dont have a clue about any legal terms in d r, im an american born dominican, my parents are the immigrants, but i am bi lingual i was hoping that sets a little advantage?
c)good idea
d)i will be moving there to watch, start, and maintain the project.

^thanks for all the advice, *side note* im trying to "build" any major profit sports bar, just a small fun semi-holding revenue, while simultaneously accomplishing a child hood goal (constructing a building solo).

More advice will be greatly appreciated!!! ;)

Ferreter?a Ochoa

Be aware that loans here will have interest rates probably more than 20% and are NEVER, repeat NEVER fixed, no matter what anybody tells you. In the DR a fixed loan means the rate is fixed until the bank decides to change it.

best of luck

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
If your hobby is building, do it yourself........labor is extremely reasonable..............

10 for the price of 1..............compaired to the rates here.........

But even better, if you can find something already built and reasonable and if that works out, make your first building project, a small house.........

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
how about the medium sized sports bar with your living quarters on the top floor? you can knock two things out at once. augustus is right, labor is extremely reasonable but if you know what you are doing you can do it yourself with some help. best of luck in your quest!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A six man crew of skilled laborers works for around US100 a day. The materials, on the other hand can be quite expensive. I just helped another DR1'er with a quote on a house and just the material came out to more than twice what they thought they could build it for based on their estimates and even including labor.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
whoa

A six man crew of skilled laborers works for around US100 a day. The materials, on the other hand can be quite expensive. I just helped another DR1'er with a quote on a house and just the material came out to more than twice what they thought they could build it for based on their estimates and even including labor.

hey Chip, i am also thinking of eventually building something for myself and the family too and agree with you that material as of late has been VERY pricey, in some places overpriced ridiculously. the labor is very reasonably priced. what region are you referring to though? as i am thinking of building in a campo south of la capital where labor might run even cheaper....material i agree is the hardest thing to find and or bargain for! :ermm:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Without any experience in this country, you will be running into all kinds of obstacles, once you start. From corrupt police and politicians, payoffs to get any kind of licenses or permits, to outrageous labour laws that only foreigners and foreign companies need to adhere to, and most of all, watch out for your own lawyer making deals behind your back, at your expense and problems, for his own enrichment. This is just the start. Then take into consideration power cuts, strikes, crime, people not paying debts, etc etc.

I would highly suggest to live here for 2 or 3 months first.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
agreed

Without any experience in this country, you will be running into all kinds of obstacles, once you start. From corrupt police and politicians, payoffs to get any kind of licenses or permits, to outrageous labour laws that only foreigners and foreign companies need to adhere to, and most of all, watch out for your own lawyer making deals behind your back, at your expense and problems, for his own enrichment. This is just the start. Then take into consideration power cuts, strikes, crime, people not paying debts, etc etc.

I would highly suggest to live here for 2 or 3 months first.

wise words from Conchman, i second this notion. live in DR for some time and get to know your surroundings before investing any time and or money. it's best to see what reality is like on the island and if your vision fits into the plans.
who knows, you might not be interested in a sports bar down the road, there are other profitable businesses you can operate.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what exactly do we mean by a sports bar....some just seem to have football shirt or two hung up

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Sports Bar means satellite equipment, TV's, electronic and sound system etc. Think of the salty breezes from the ocean. Most of the people I know who live near the ocean are spending a lot on electronics repairs and replacement. Just my 2 centavos.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I think finding out if there are any bars already for sale or rent is a good start. If you've never worked or run a bar you might try getting a job whereever you live to see what's involved. Even once here you might try working at one to see if you like the hours, can make money etc.

MoneyMike508

Apr 14, 2009
Jalencastro: thats what im intending to do, put my living quarters in the basement, and thank you for your support

btw, how much does a liquor license down there cost? and how long does it take to get it?