Kingsley family history

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
A friend who is a decendant of the original Kingsley family that settled in Cabarete wants to know if there are any of the original family left around, and as well if any of their homes are still standing. As well does anyone know where the place Kingsley del Sol is....
Thank you for your responses
Hammerdown

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
this should be interesting. They were either from the States, around Washington, DC or from one of the English speaking islands (Cocolos). If they were from the states. you might check with the Philadelphia Historical Society, referencing Peter Vanderhorst, around 1823, 1824 and the American Colonization Society.

Hope you find something and report back here. You will be graded ..jejeje

HB

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
apparently they moved here around 1825 and settled in cabarete on 35,000 acres.....she has a couple of history books on the family, she wants to get in touch with some of the family and see a couple of their homes (if there are any left) as well as Kingsley del Sol...used to be a resort of some sort way back when, or just a house....thank you for your reply HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
'Copia de adjudicaci?n a William Kingsley de terrenos en Cabarete, Sabana de Y?sica y Guaynamoca' - highlighted in green to make it easier to find, also 'Copia de parte del proceso de partici?n de bienes Kingsley, respecto al heredero James Kingsley'

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=Luis+Emilio+Kingsley%2C+Puerto+Plata+o+Cabarete&y=Search&fr=slv8-adbe&u=genealogiadominicana.com/arthur/in_not/varios.htm&w=luis+emilio+kingsley+puerto+plata+o+cabarete&d=PT0T2UxISmJ2&icp=1&.intl=us

Worth looking through Luis Arthur's site:
Genealog?a Dominicana
for example there's a Flora Kingsley here
http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=Kingsley+del+Sol%2C+Cabarete&y=Search&fr=slv8-adbe&u=genealogiadominicana.com/arthur/in_not/in58_64.htm&w=kingsley+del+sol+cabarete&d=NsQQ1ExISjTc&icp=1&.intl=us
and a Henry Kingsley on another page.

There's also a Club Deportivo y Cultural Luis Emilio Kingsley - might be worthwhile checking there:
Club Luis E. Kingsley termina torneos : Periodico El Faro - La Luz que Guia la Verdad

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If that was so (the above) then they are definitely part of the Perter Vanderhorst group of former slaves that came here is 1824-25....from Philadelphia.

There was NOBODY along the North Shore back then, the land was under Haitian control, and there were no surveyors and very few claimants, since most landowners had fled and there were few administrators capable of granting title...land claimed was land owned.

If they held onto the land through independence and the Restauracion, then they could have become fairly wealthy landowners/cattlemen...since not much farming was ever part of that area...

Congratulations, this is a historically significant family...You can be sure that they are registered in the archives of the PHS and in the archives of the American Colonization Society...probably in the national archives in Washington.

Lots to work with there...
You might want to find Edwin Encarnacion???? He's one of the more enthusiastic genealogists here.
HB

WINSTRIC

Jan 7, 2003
Google Kingsley Plantation in Jacksonville,FL
Kingsley Plantation is a US National Park. It is located on Ft. George Island,
on A1A about one mile from the ferry going north. It is a peacefull place!
Nice to walk around.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a word.
The Haitian President Boyer had an idea that by populating the very remote areas of the newly conquered eastern part of the island with freed slaves, he could acculturate the population under Haitian rule.

The American Colonization Society bought up saves and shipped them out of the US (which is how Liberia was founded) as a way to end slavery.

In the case of the group that came from Philadelphia, they were in all likelihood purchased from farms and plantations near and around Washington D.C., due to the place names surrounding Saman?. Bethesda and Noroeste being two of them...

I think I would look into Maryland and Virginia archives regarding Kingsley.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Frank: That's why I put the ??? there... It is Edwin, but I can't remember the last name and I am too busy to go and find it.

HB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dominican genealogy

Anyone interested in researching their Dominican roots should try to find the OOP series of books called Familias Dominicanas by Carlos Larrazábal Blanco.
They were published in 1967 by Academia Dominicana de la Historia (Santo Domingo) but are VERY hard to find. Each volume covers specific letters of the alphabet - I only own one volume, which covers the surnames beginning with O & P. We found it at a used book store in Santo Domingo. I'm looking for the "G" volume, in case anyone comes across it!

The information in them is startling, in some cases going back to the 1500s. Lists persons by surname, parents, dates of birth, death, etc. Often details a family's country of origin [Spain, Italy, etc]