Rooster Help/Advice

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have gotten woken every morning for the last 10 days at about 4:30 am by a rooster with strep throaat and a terrible crowing just below my window. He or she or it doesn't stop until it is light out and then moves to a new location.

I have tried ear plugs, closing my windows, covering my ears with pillows - nothing works.

I'm a bear without my good night's sleep.

Any suggestions, advice, help would be much appreciated.

Oh and I saw the culprit and he's a biggie!

Thanks.

Reactions: jrhartley and Rocky

TheHun

May 4, 2008
How about making a soup out of him?? That would keep him quiet for loooong.
I feel your pain, I went through the same thing but with a mocking bird back in NC. It lasted 2.5 months, and I become a zombie because of the lack of sleep. The strange thing is, you can fire cannons under my window, I can still sleep....He was started his songs 1:30-2:00 AM until 5-6 AM. I was seriously thinking to kill the bastard with my shotgun-even if I have to spend few days in jail for discharging weapon within city limits ( a stupid law in Charlotte, NC).
Least I could SLEEP a bit. Instead of a shotgun I ended his life with a high end air-rifle that I purchased for the sole reason to kill the SOB.
Even though I'm a hunter, I don't like to kill things that I won't eat.
So again, it's time to think about your Sunday lunch. Believe me, no matter how old is that bastard, it will be one of the best meal that you had.

The Hun

Reactions: Rocky

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
agreed

pressure cooker will take care of the old age tough problem.Then add a few egg noodles, and yum. Oh over mashed potatos.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
How about making a soup out of him?? That would keep him quiet for loooong.
I feel your pain, I went through the same thing but with a mocking bird back in NC. It lasted 2.5 months, and I become a zombie because of the lack of sleep. The strange thing is, you can fire cannons under my window, I can still sleep....He was started his songs 1:30-2:00 AM until 5-6 AM. I was seriously thinking to kill the bastard with my shotgun-even if I have to spend few days in jail for discharging weapon within city limits ( a stupid law in Charlotte, NC).
Least I could SLEEP a bit. Instead of a shotgun I ended his life with a high end air-rifle that I purchased for the sole reason to kill the SOB.
Even though I'm a hunter, I don't like to kill things that I won't eat.
So again, it's time to think about your Sunday lunch. Believe me, no matter how old is that bastard, it will be one of the best meal that you had.

The Hun

Ha ha, I needed a laugh this morning and that cracked me up!

Sorry animal lovers but tooooooooooo funny!

Mar 2, 2008
All very good suggestions, but you know the very best way to get your beauty sleep, don't you?!?

Chicken soup with rice is nice, but tequila is quicker and more effective.

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
Yea I say trap the sucker and cook him. Just make sure if it belongs to a neighbor, that neighbor doesn't see or hear that it was you.

I have Parrots...I know how you feel...lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wonder what attracts the rooster to your window every morning....? Reminds me of a problem we had at our house one year in Najayo Beach [San Cristobal] - this woodpecker took up home in the coconut palm tree right outside our bedroom window. knock, knock, knock, knock. I was ready to shoot the bird. [It ended up damaging the tree and we cut it down the following year - never saw the woodpecker again.] All of this was after the roosters had crowed several times, the cows were mooing, the damned dogs that sleep all day barked all night - and one morning I told my husband I could swear I heard pigs oinking. He listened for a moment and said I was right. Add the motorbikes that were zooming up and down the road beginning at dawn. I bet the people who live there don't hear any of it.

Every time I see "My Cousin Vinny" I laugh when he can't sleep, because it reminds me of DR that year.

Anyway, have you talked to your neighbors? Is the rooster bothering the whole neighborhood, or is your house his 'special place'? I'd be helpless with this problem because I'm a city girl, but my husband would be cooking pollo guisado in no time.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
While I'd love to cook the rooster's goose so to speak, it belongs to my neighbor across the street; and I'm not the onlyone who hears it but it's loudest by my window! And it's old and big and would probably be tough...so I need alternate ideas, like what kind of poison to use that won't hurt the dogs or ducks or cats; or what kind of bebe (?) gun I could use and where I could purchase it. More like that!

Thanks for all the responses so far - and empathy and sympathy!

Regards
Ro

MOC1

Oct 22, 2002
There was a rampage of Cocks in Cofresi in 1997/98 they put a peso on the end of them and now I understand you'll hard'ley hear a cok adoo do.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
While I'd love to cook the rooster's goose so to speak, it belongs to my neighbor across the street; and I'm not the onlyone who hears it but it's loudest by my window! And it's old and big and would probably be tough...so I need alternate ideas, like what kind of poison to use that won't hurt the dogs or ducks or cats; or what kind of bebe (?) gun I could use and where I could purchase it. More like that!

Thanks for all the responses so far - and empathy and sympathy!

Regards
Ro

Drro,
Where are you? In Santiago?? Do you want to put a hit on that bird? ;)
Can you see the rooster clearly when he starts to be noisy? I mean 4:30 in the morning?? I have left my bb gun in the US, but I have my paint ball gun here. I have a cool holographic sight on it and can be adjusted to different level of visibility. It would blow his head off - not much noise neither. I don't know if a torso shot would kill him- probably, but if you can get him on the head... I just have to get my CO2 tanks recharged. It's an M16 / AR15 style rifle, and this is not a regular paint ball marker that you can rent on the PB fields, the pressure is turned up and also have a select fire (full auto mode) 16 shot/second.
When we "tuned" it up, I got shot with it on my face mask and I was spitting blood. :dead: It really felt like a baseball bat hit me on the face. The shot to my upper arm was torn the skin open and left a CD size mark for a month (it changed colors once in a while) and I thought it will be permanent but after a year I can barely see it anymore.
So it would make some damage in your mark, believe me.
Even if he is too old I'd still cook him to my dogs, cats, or to his owner ;) ..
You know, REVENGE!!
Like a friend of mine, who's taking care of my dog in LA. A possum ****ed on my poor dog few times when she try to catch him while he was trespassing. And you know it's not easy to get rid of that smell.. So he did catch him with a trap, than he bought 5 six-pacs of beer and took the possum to the desert.
His words: "- I took the MOFO to the desert, put his cage right next to my pick-up and started to drink the beer, listening some good music and whenever I had to go I stand up on the bed, and ****ed on him. Here, this is for Zita, (my dog's name) you MOFO SOB. And that is how I have spent most of my day, ****in' on a possum"
He said it was one of the best day of his life and I believe him.
Well, one of mine too when he told me the story.
So let us know how do you proceed.

The Hun

BTW. If some one knows where to refill co2 tanks - here in Santiago- for paint ball marker, please let me know!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
drro, there is no other way, you have to hire a hitman. we will all keep quiet for a small propina. in fact, should you decide rather to bride moderators to delete this thread i have already taken print screen. i expect no less than a rooster leg!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
apparently the more hens he has in his flock the quieter he becomes.(perhaps he got fed up with his old broiler and is looking for fresh chicken breast)..rival roosters in the area cause more crowing - giving him something difficult to eat distracts him from crowing ie throwing corn on the cob at him or spaghetti

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
throwing corn on the cob at him or spaghetti
Spaghetti??? You kill me! :cheeky:

Ro, I think your only option would be to sit down with the little fellar and have a heart to heart chat over a bottle of Tequila! If you get the right kind of Tequila, you can fight over the worm at the bottom of the bottle! Heck, if you drink enough....you might just find yourself crowing along with him! :cheeky::bunny:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Get yourself your own rooster (or a fighting cock)...giggity, giggity...

Anyhow your cock will definitely fight him and once he's defeated he will stop the crowing. Right now he thinks he's the king of this area and that's why he does it to let every other rooster in the area know who's boss.

Another strategy maybe get yourself one of those fake owls and put it on your window sill, maybe you'll scare him enough that he'll lose his "voice".

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I love all the creativity and humor here - but I just saw him or one of them anyhow - right under my window in broad daylight...

Like the idea of the owl, or maybe a mechanical dog or cat - course you can't count on power all the time so he'll come when the power is off.

I may have to discuss this with Jose - last rsort only!

At the moment I am thinking of throwing a rubber chicken at him!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Naw

I love all the creativity and humor here - but I just saw him or one of them anyhow - right under my window in broad daylight...

Like the idea of the owl, or maybe a mechanical dog or cat - course you can't count on power all the time so he'll come when the power is off.

I may have to discuss this with Jose - last rsort only!

At the moment I am thinking of throwing a rubber chicken at him!

I still opt for the pressure cooker, noodles, and mashed potatos.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks for the laughs guys, now I'm picturing theHun in fatigues rolling around in the patio with his bb gun trying to shoot the cock. jajajaja Drro with rubber chicken in hand trying to beat the cock. :)