Samana to Cabarete???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

Apr 15, 2009
Hey,
we are flying into Samana in July and going to stay in Cabarete. I keep on finding info on coaches and other public transport.
Can anyone give me recent info what is the best way to get to Cabarete from Samana airport???
Thanks

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Taxi

The public transportation from Samana to Cabarete is very basic. From what I know, there are medium sized buses that make specific stops and guagua vans
that make lots of stops and are often crowded and uncomfortable. From the airport in Samana, your best bet is a taxi. I don't know the price, but I'm guessing at least $100 US dollars. As you probably know the Puerto Plata airport is much more convenient to Cabarete. Another option is to rent a car, but the roads are in terrible condition with many deep potholes. You don't want to drive at night; trying to navigate in the dark unknown is suicidal. The drivers in the DR are another breed, many motoconchos with no lights, other obstacles abound...
Maybe someone can recommend a driver with whom you can make arrangements for your pick-up at the airport? Or think about renting a car if you're arriving at least 2 hours before dark.

Facility

Sep 3, 2008
Second the previous message - have you booked your flight already?
If you have not - might be time to reconsider for POP? Even a SDQ incoming flight is more convenient if you spend the night in Santo Domingo and next day proceed to Sosua by Metro/Caribe Tour bus and from there on by taxi to Cabarete.

If you already have booked the flight, plan for a transfer by a private car company, taxi ride from the aiport direct to Cabarete will be way too expensive, even more expensive than a night in a middle-class SD hotel plus other costs summed up.

It also depends on how long your visit to DR is.

Jan 17, 2009
If you go to samana.net you'll find a "transportation tab". Click on buses, you'll find the name of the two bus companies that run buses from Samana to Puerto Plata (at least one company stops in Cabarete--sorry can't remember which one).

I agree with the above suggestions though. If you haven't bought your air ticket yet, you'd be better off checking your options to fly to POP, STI or SDQ.

Jan 17, 2009
A cab from Samana to Cabarete will cost you around US$200 if not more. From STI (Santiago), it'll cost US$100. From POP, just US$35.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
if you have booked your flight already can the travel agent change it to pop
who did you book with we always end up flying in to pop
and driving to nagua which is about 20 mins away from samana :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.