Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 7000 dead in five years...

Wow that's almost incredible... 7000 dead

here is the article:
    Over 7000 people lost their lives in traffic accidents in the past five years (2004-2008) in the Dominican Republic, which has a mortality rate of traffic accident 30.4 per 100,000 inhabitants where the average for the region Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) is set in 16.9.

Data supplied by the Directorate General of Land Transport (DGTT) and the National Statistics Office (ONE) indicate that from 2004 until July 2008 in the streets, avenues and Dominican roads 7042 people died.

In 2004 1370 people died ; 1367 in 2005, 1602 in 2006 and 1747 in 2007 and 956 until July 2008. With these figures as the country is placed second in the region with the highest rate of deaths from traffic accidents, in a list of 48 countries. Only El Salvador with a rate of 31.1 is above.

The National District and Santo Domingo province are areas where more accidents with injuries and deaths are recorded. In the reference years, these boundaries were 91,275 traffic accidents with 1860 fatalities.

Then the provinces of San Cristobal with 548 deaths, 397 in La Altagracia and Santiago with 366. La Vega and San Pedro with 253 deaths each.

San Juan continue the list with 240 deaths, with 234 Monsignor Nouel, Duarte 232, 204 Puerto Plata, La Romana 166; Azua 161; Peravia 150, 133 Valverde, Monte Plata 125, 118 Barahona, with Espaillat 112.

Little Caution

It is estimated that about 90% of accidents occur due to lack of caution. In addition, approximately 30% involved drivers between 14 and 30 years, this is the biggest cause of deaths in this population segment. Nearly 60% of driver's license holders are persons aged between 18 and 35 years as director of the detailed land transit, Tobías Rafael Crespo, who suggests starting driver education begins in their early years of schooling.

source:
    Hoy Digital
    Accidentes tránsito provocan más de 7,000 muertes en sólo cinco años - Hoy Digital

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be doubted!! This weekend we managed to open about 56 new graves. Of these 60% were from accidents and 80% of those were motorcycle related..., so figure an average weekend will see, oh, I don't know,,,say 20 deaths x 48 weeks = 960 + the holiday tolls of Christmas and New Years and Easter Week, and you easily reach a thousand a year, then you add the big ones, like the bus accident out East last year, and 1500 a year seem reasonable.....

Remember, you do not have to know how to read and write to get a license, nor do you need a license to ride a motorcycle...."I didn't know..." is the universal excuse for any violation of driving courtesy or common sense...

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How many of the motorcycle related deaths were wearing helmets?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i find this number suspiciously low, 7000 is 5 years gives less than 4 a day, i would have thought that only in POP few kick the bucket daily...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy wow

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
    How many of the motorcycle related deaths were wearing helmets?
    in my 6 years of visiting DR I have honestly only seen 6 instances of anyone wearing a helmet. half of which were police so not sure if I would count that....but still....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a few more helmets than usual in the last few weeks, maybe even 1 out of 100 motorcycle riders with helmets. No, more like 1 out of 1,000.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the accident figures prior to moving down here & was amazed to find that the per capita rate was only 3 times that in the "developed" world - i.e. Europe & america.

Given the lack of driver training & vehicle inspections that is fantastic!

Think about it - up there all vehicles go through some sort of annual inspection/maintenance, you can't even fart while driving without the authorities coming down on you like a ton of bricks & cars have more & bigger airbags than Pamela Anderson. Yet still the mortality rate is only 1/3 that in the DR.

Dominicans are truely fantastic drivers ....

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not surprised

I don't doubt those figures at all - I have never in my life seen driving like Santo Domingo. Bear in mind that I was born in Manhattan and can drive there with one eye closed. Every time I go to the DR, probably 50-60 trips, it seems to get worse, and I always leave there absolutely amazed that I don't see more accidents. I leave the driving to my husband when we're there - when my kids were young I used to drive all over the capital. He gets into his Dominican mode when he drives there, and when we get home I invariably, usually on the way home from the airport, have to remind him that we're back in the USA now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    I looked at the accident figures prior to moving down here & was amazed to find that the per capita rate was only 3 times that in the "developed" world - i.e. Europe & america.

Given the lack of driver training & vehicle inspections that is fantastic!

Think about it - up there all vehicles go through some sort of annual inspection/maintenance, you can't even fart while driving without the authorities coming down on you like a ton of bricks & cars have more & bigger airbags than Pamela Anderson. Yet still the mortality rate is only 1/3 that in the DR.

Dominicans are truely fantastic drivers ....
    Good points. Mr C often says that considering how badly people drive there are actually remarkably few accidents. My Dad observed that traffic in Santo Domingo was like some sort of demented choreography where everyone managed to avoid each other - at least most of the time - despite making the most suicidal manoeuvres.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking wow

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    ...Dominican mode when he drives there, and when we get home I invariably, usually on the way home from the airport, have to remind him that we're back in the USA now.
    i feel the same way....it took me three trips to DR before i even attempted to drive there and even so each time have to adjust to more craziness on the roads! and yes, my wife sometimes catches me too when back in the states that i dont have to drive like a maniac anymore....i guess it's grown on me! LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast