How to keep dogs safe in the DR

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
After a dog we know recently died from Lepto, I?ve been researching all the things that can be harmful to pets here-from diseases, to poisonous plants and insects. So other then making sure that all vaccines are current, I wanted to see if anyone has any advice or warnings on things that can harm and kill house dogs and cats, and ways of prevention (or at least to minimalize risk).

For example, someone told me that the large centipedes are poisonous. Is this true, and if so, what do you do if a dog eats one or gets bit by one? What should you do if a dog eats a bug that died from pesticide? I thought maybe we can compile a list here, from experience, so we can keep our animals safe.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Probably the biggest threat to your dog in this country is humans (ex-pats included) who try to poison or run over your animals. I too have been told that a larger centipede can kill a small dog (and there are some huge centipedes here). Also there is a toad (only seen one) that can also kill your pet if they start messing around with it.

Some reccomnedations. You can buy (I strongly suggest it) a poison kit which if given shortly after occurence of poisoning will save your pets life. Check with your vet ( I know Dr. Bob has them). As well ensure your pet is safely confined to your property in order to reduce the chance of accidental poisoning and being hit on the road. Try to train your dog not to accept food (common way of poisoning) from strangers - hard to do I know. Keeping up to date on all shots is also mandatory as many dogs in this country do not have any shots thus making the spread of diseases that much easier. Ensure your pets are tick and flea free as this can lead to many health issues - ivermectin works the best for this. I am sure I will think of some more later...tom

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"Some reccomnedations. You can buy (I strongly suggest it) a poison kit which if given shortly after occurence of poisoning will save your pets life."

I would be very interested in getting one of those kits here in Santo Domingo.??!! My vet doesn't carry them.

On another note, my dog was in the yard once barking at something in the grass, it was a BIG centipede; I was glad to see that she didn’t try to touch it at all, just barking, good girl!