dogs on a beach

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this may have been discussed here before but the law changes ever so often that any info may be outdated now...
in any case. i have a dog now, small rottweiler, which is quite an important info as i understand people are scared of them.
i want to take the girl for walks, including those on a beach. now, the question arises - can i? leash at all times? can she jump into the water for a swim? any particular hours when such activities are allowed? should i get her, gosh, what is it called, muzzle?

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the reason for laws against dogs on beaches is for health reasons. dog feces on a beach create tiny worms that like to enter human skin, soles of the feet, even after the tide, rain, wind have carried the "crap" away, the parasites remain. if you can find a stretch of beach that people don't use, take the dog to that beach. i've seen dominican street dogs looking for scraps at beaches in boca chica, pelenque, nizao, etc. health hazard, time bomb. now when some kid has a nasty burning rash, crying tears like rain in the middle of the night, can you say "it wasn't me, i clean up after my dog"? or did you set a precedent by taking your dog to the beach and now other owners will take their dogs there and not be as tidy? and don't forget how tidy most dominicans are at the beach.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can you say "it wasn't me, i clean up after my dog"? or did you set a precedent by taking your dog to the beach and now other owners will take their dogs there and not be as tidy? and don't forget how tidy most dominicans are at the beach.

the dog has been taught to do her thing shortly after she leaves home so that should be done before we hit the beach. in any case i can pick up whatever she makes, no problem there.
i have not taken her anywhere near the beach yet.
dominicans on a beach are anything but tidy.
but i will not be stubborn. if i cannot take a dog to the beach - so be it.
thanks for helpful answers, folks.

Last edited:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I walk my dogs twice daily in my neighborhood. Many people walk their dogs on leashes but there are only two of us that I know of who collect the masterpieces in plastic bags and toss them in the trash.

:tired:

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Every time we go to Play Enquentro, there are dogs all over the place running around and playing. Just seems like part of the over all atmosphere after a while.