Av. Independencia Santo Domingo ?

M

Mike

Dear Sirs, Senors, and Madams,

I think I have found a resonable hotel on this Av., I have read that it is a good location, but how is one to know? The hotel is #304, "Pasteur, Gascue" (Hotel Duque De Wellington). I am wondering, is this a good location for walking in the day for sites and in the night for night-life? I do not like fooling around with taxi crap and this is my first trip the the city.

Thank you to the many who have emailed me about budget hotels. I simply have decieded to "upgrade" from a $25. room to $45. as it seems to make alot of diffrence in Santo Domingo.(pool,location ect.)(besides, you only live once!)

Thank you for any input on the location with special desire to be able to walk(anywhere within a mile)..What's there to see/do? Night Life?

K

Keith

Mike:

I can't vouch for the hotel as I haven't been inside it, but as a resident of Santo Domingo, I can tell you that the location is pretty good for the price you're paying. At Independencia and Pasteur you're about 1-2 blocks off the beach drive known as El Malecon, where much of the city's fun is. You're litterly within 1-2 blocks of three of the highest price hotels in SD, the Intercontinental, Melia and Jaragua. Independencia is also an excellent spot to walk to (about 8-10 blocks) or catch a quick public cab ("publico", abut 2 pesos) to the heart of the Colonial Zone, Plaza Independencia and the old (and now being revitalized) shopping strip, El Conde). So if the hotel checks out, go for it.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Keith