"The Minican Republic"

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Forget Quisqueya, the Dominican Republic, the DR or even the dreaded 'the Dominican'. My niece, 'M', not yet three, visited us a couple of months ago and has since renamed this fair country.

My sister sent me this e-mail about their family holiday this Easter to a hotel in Spain.

We had such a laugh at M's expense as she thought that we were going to the Minican Republic. In hindsight I suppose she assumed we would be going to DR when we told her we were going on a little holiday... When we passed the airport on the way... she enquired after the plane, when we got there she said a few times that we were in the Minican Republic and on the first morning she asked [her sister] where [Mr C, Chirimoya and Chirimoyito] were. When we finally convinced her that she was not in the DR she said she wanted to go to the other Minican Republic as this was a funny Minican Republic.

Reactions: Celt202

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Forget Quisqueya, the Dominican Republic, the DR or even the dreaded 'the Dominican'. My niece, 'M', not yet three, visited us a couple of months ago and has since renamed this fair country.

My sister sent me this e-mail about their family holiday this Easter to a hotel in Spain.

Years ago my brother was a pilot for Eastern Airlines. He lived in Dallas and was based in Miami so he and several pilots kept an apartment in Miami to use as needed.

His son "P" about the same age as "M" used to say "Daddy's in His Ami". When my brother was home he would ask him "Where was I last week?" and "P" would happily report "Your Ami!"

YouTube - Old Dogs Children & Watermellon Wine

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i told my mum i was moving to DR she said with worry: "but why do you always have to travel so far, you know there are so many thieves on trains these days'.
gotta love her.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Not a cute story like the previous two but i know someone who has lived here for 7 years and calls the DR "Dominica"!!!!!!!!!!

I did also get asked by my cousin if i had seen any tigers here LOL!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What about the Dominican lady I know who was going to Cuba for medical treatment and asked "will they understand us there?"

laurajane, what's so funny about your cousin's question? Plenty of tigueres in The Minican Republic. :D

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When I was working in a local hotel as a dive instructor this guy asked me if I could get him a boat to go around the island. I explained that that might take weeks. He pointed out to me that Dominica was a small island. I explained that he was in the Dominican Republic and not Dominica. He didn't believe me. He was on his honeymoon and had been given the trip as a present. I explained that here they spoke Spanish and it was really the Dominican Republic and not Dominica. Took him ages and several chats to hotel staff to convince him!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
when i told my mum i was moving to DR she said with worry: "but why do you always have to travel so far, you know there are so many thieves on trains these days'.
gotta love her.

Reminds me of the time years ago when I lived in Germany when my brother told me his new wife right out of the country asked him when they were going to drive to Europe to visit me.