fuku

gringa1

Apr 14, 2009
can you tell me more about fuku?

i'm reading diaz's _oscar wao_, and i understand it's a curse, but i'd really appreciate if somebody can provide more details (a list of lit wouldn't hurt either :glasses: )

thanks!

gringa1

Apr 14, 2009
first, thanks for the responses!

well, i know it's a curse (or, jinx, like jorgesarduysousa said), but i'm more interested in the "nature" of fuku. where does it come from? is this a spanish world? are there any books about fuku? is there a connection with african practicies? (well, it's obviously not a catholic thing!) is it explained as a folklor element, etc...

i tried to find smth on line, but couldn't anything--even when i ran searches through library databases.

i should write about -oscar wao_ and it seems to me that more than a basic understanding about fuku is needed.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Do a google on these titles and good luck.

Andrade, M. (1969) Folklore from the Dominican Republic. (Memoirs of the American Folklore Society). New York: Kraus Reprints.

Alegr?a P., J. F. (1993). Gag? y Vud? en la Rep?blica Dominicana. Santo Domingo: Ediciones El Chango Prieto.

Askevis-Leherpeaux, F. (1990) La Superstici?n. Barcelona: Paidos.

Austerlitz, P. (1997) Merengue: Dominican Music and Dominican Identity. Philadelphia: Temple University.

Arteaga, J. (1994) M?sica del Caribe. Colombia: Editorial Voluntad.

And?jar P., C. (1997) Presencia Negra en Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo: B?ho.

Alba, O. (1982) El Espa?ol del Caribe. Santo Domingo: PUCMM.

Brunvand, J. (1968) The Study of Folklore. New York: Norton Library.

Castillo, J. (del) y Garc?a, M. (1989) Artesan?a Dominicana. Santo Domingo: Editora Corripio.

Davis, M. (1996). Vod? of the Dominican Republic. Bloominton: Ethnica Publications.

Davis, M. (1986) La Otra Ciencia. Santo Domingo: UASD.

Deive, C. E (1975) Vod? y Magia en Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo: Museo del Hombre Dominicano.

Hern?ndez S., C. (1996) Morir en Villa Mella. Santo Domingo: Ciasca.

Henr?quez U., P. (1940) El Espa?ol en Santo Domingo. Buenos Aires: Biblioteca Dialectolog?a Hispanoamericana.

Kreppe, A. (1964) The Science of Folklore. Norton Library.

Krohn, Kaarle. (1971) Folklore Methodology. Austin: Universidad de Texas.

Mart?nez, L. (1991) Palmasola. Santo Domingo: CEDER.

Mateo, A. (1996) Al filo de la Dominicanidad. Santo Domingo: Editorial de Colores.

Megenney, W. (1990) ?frica en Santo Domingo. Riverside: University of California.

Olivier Vda. Germ?n, C. (1971) De Nuestro Lenguaje y Costumbres. Santo Domingo: Arte y Cine.

Pacini, D. (1990) Music of Margiality: Social Identity an Class in Dominican Bachata. New York: Cornell University.

Rodr?guez V., W. (1982) El Turbante Blanco. Santo Domingo: Edici?n Museo del Hombre Dominicano.

Rodr?guez D., E. (1975) Lengua y Folklore de Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo: PUCMM.

Tejada, D.; S?nchez, F. y Mella, C. (1993) Religiosidad Popular y Siquiatr?a. Santo Domingo: Corripio.

Varios Autores. (1997) Presencia Africana en la Cultura Dominicana. Santo Domingo: Centro Cultural Espa?ol.

Veloz M., M. (1996) Barril sin Fondo. Santo Domingo: Editorial De Colores.

Angel.estrella

May 18, 2009
The Fuku is the dominican way of the figure of Caliban. From shakespeare,Oscar Wilde, James Joyce,Ernest Renan,Jos? Enrique Rod? among many other have used to represent the same idea now adapted by Junot Diaz.

After the influence of USA and England in the Caribbean the word fuku comes from the English "**** up", and I assume everyone know the implications of the word when is applied to a minority by a group of white supremacists. America haven been ****ed by Europeans and Christopher Columbus was the first to bring the Fuku to America according to Junot Diaz in the Brief story of Oscar Wao.

Fuku is both a course and a tendency to describe a type of person who happens to carry the course to be a poor person of color.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
sounds like what in the Bahamas and other Caribbean nations is called 'Obeah'

Conchman - Obeah is not really fuku. Obeah is a bad spirit. At least this is what one of my ex's grand mother used to describe it as...they are Jamaican.

In my family fuku is sort of like really bad luck. Tu tiene un fuku y nada te sale bien. You have bad luck/been cursed and nothing comes out ok.

?

? bient?t

sounds like what in the Bahamas and other Caribbean nations is called 'Obeah'

...and supposedly in the back bayou of southern Louisiana, and in the Ville des Zirondelles section of Inwood Hill Park, the last pristine forest in Manhattan. But, as usual, FBI Special Agent Aloysius X. L. Pendergast proves that Obeah is a bunch of B.S.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I stopped worrying about stepping on cracks in the sidewalk and walking under ladders long ago. But beliefs die hard, so we tend to err on the cautious side, seems to me.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I stopped worrying about stepping on cracks in the sidewalk and walking under ladders long ago. But beliefs die hard, so we tend to err on the cautious side, seems to me.

Don't want to divert from the OP's question but this is soooo true. Couldn't agree more. I don't believe in any of this non-sense! I have an uncle that walks around with his undies inside out. Supposedly this keeps "brujeria" (voodoo) from falling to him. It is hillarious to me!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Works maybe

Don't want to divert from the OP's question but this is soooo true. Couldn't agree more. I don't believe in any of this non-sense! I have an uncle that walks around with his undies inside out. Supposedly this keeps "brujeria" (voodoo) from falling to him. It is hillarious to me!

Well if he has never had problems with Brujeria problems maybe it's working for him. Never laugh at the old times, sometime they know something we don't. :bunny::glasses:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Before I didn't believe in "brujeria" because I thought it were things that only old school people and their imaginations could think of. But after I witnessed a couple of "interesting" things, I must say I am less skeptical than before. Like others said, it is better to "err" on the safe side.

malikp

Aug 30, 2008
Before I didn't believe in "brujeria" because I thought it were things that only old school people and their imaginations could think of. But after I witnessed a couple of "interesting" things, I must say I am less skeptical than before. Like others said, it is better to "err" on the safe side.
do tell.....