Legal Resident Alien Status - Legal to Work in the DR?

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Hi there,

I'm wondering whether obtaining "legal resident alien status" in the DR makes it legal to work there? Or, do you have to obtain a separate work visa? I've been googling up a storm, but I can't seem to find it.

Oh, and I'm a US citizen. Thanks!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi there,

I'm wondering whether obtaining "legal resident alien status" in the DR makes it legal to work there? Or, do you have to obtain a separate work visa? I've been googling up a storm, but I can't seem to find it.

Oh, and I'm a US citizen. Thanks!

I suggest you use the search function as this will awnser many of your questions.

Being a legal resident entitles you to earn local wages so you can expect to earn $300 U.S per month. There is the teacher program and you can try that ..TESOL

Being a U.S. citizen is perfect for arriving in this country as your dollars are most welcome.

All fun aside, you may want to drop the " Oh, and I'm a US citizen" routine....no one cares!

Except for those that will take your laptop and passport!

Last edited:

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Hm...

Thanks (I think) for your response.

I suggest you use the search function as this will awnser many of your questions.

I did.

Being a legal resident entitles you to earn local wages so you can expect to earn $300 U.S per month. There is the teacher program and you can try that ..TESOL

Does anyone know how this works with being taxed on USD? So, if a place wants to pay wages in USD, is that not legal?

All fun aside, you may want to drop the " Oh, and I'm a US citizen" routine....no one cares!

I certainly wasn't touting US citizenship; this is a "legal" forum and I thought that my nationality might matter in answering my question. No need to be cranky about it.:tired:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here is a link to the benefits of obtaining residency DR1 - Legal

and here's what was posted about being taxed

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to $82,400 of your foreign earnings. In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts
IRS.GOV - Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

You may want to check out this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/66314-us-taxes-dr-confused.html