About area code 809

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Ok, who knows if this is true or should go to the clown bin?

"We actually received a call last week from the 809 area code. The woman said 'Hey, this is Karen. Sorry I missed you--get back to us quickly. I Have something important to tell you.' Then she repeated a phone number beginning with 809. 'We didn't respond'

Then this week, we received the following e-mail:

Subject: DON'T DIAL AREA CODE 809 , 284 AND 876

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T. DON'T DIAL AREA CODE 809

This one is being distributed all over the US . This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.

Be sure you read this and pass it on.
They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has-been arrested, died, or to let you know you u have won a wonderful prize, etc. In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right a way. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $2425 per-minute.

Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $24,100.00

WHY IT WORKS:

The 809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic. They are not regulated by the US laws.

The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

Additional information on these area codes can be found from ATT at:
AT&T | 809 Area Code and Other Long Distance Phone Scams"

Ok, I see there is a thread on this scam: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/87410-deleted-phone-scam-post.html

So, I guess it is not true.

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have AT&T and it costs $1.99/minute to call the DR [(809) are code] :ermm:

See, the email I posted supposedly came from AT&T Field Service Manager with his phone number provided: (920)687-904

Is this some kind of AT&T related scam????

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well if you call a number you know it's not a scam but never call a number someone tells you to call through an email or even by phone.

You also don't go in and re-set your bank info if the bank emails you, if you get an email from paypel etc. You are not an instant winner when you get big envelope in the snail mail either and your bank isn't investigating an dishonest employee.

$1.99 a minute are you kidding me? Now that's legal robbery :)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
See, the thing is, I actually get phone calls from 809 area code on my cell, although I have not been to the DR for a long time, and no one knows my current number in the DR, actually. I don't speak enough Spanish to understand their message. But I never called back that number, and, I guess, I did the right thing.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
See, the email I posted supposedly came from AT&T Field Service Manager with his phone number provided: (920)687-904

Is this some kind of AT&T related scam????

Sorry I hit the wrong button.

You got a call or an email? There are emails from scammer pretending to be real companies

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
See, the thing is, I actually get phone calls from 809 area code on my cell, although I have not been to the DR for a long time, and no one knows my current number in the DR, actually. I don't speak enough Spanish to understand their message. But I never called back that number, and, I guess, I did the right thing.

Animation staff generally have a good memory!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Sorry I hit the wrong button.

You got a call or an email? There are emails from scammer pretending to be real companies

I got this email at work. Someone forwarded this letter to others. Maybe they got confused themselves?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I stayed in a hotel in Long Beach California, about 10 years ago, and you could not dial the area code 809, the phone system at the hotel just did not allow it.

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
This got me curious: AT&T | 809 Area Code and Other Long Distance Phone Scams

It looks like scam does happen sometimes. Otherwise AT&T would not post information about it. Or, the link is fake too?

Well, it might happen, but it's not thousands of dollars a minute. That's just silly. :bunny: My guess is that they mean it's $1.99/min or more, since that is the actual international rate through AT&T. Also, it's easy to not know you're calling internationally since you don't have to dial a country code.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel, Sosua - Dominican Republic
:bunny: ($25 US./night) For a room not for the phone call
Telephone: (809) 571-2951 :bunny::cheeky:
donaldduck.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.