do i have to pay at airport to bring my lcd 32 inch tv?

elzorro

Apr 17, 2009
im moving to santo domingo may 14, i have my 32 inch tv that im bringing with me, i will pack it and take it with me, do i have to pay any fees to introduce my tv home theater and pc?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Has anyone ever researched the claim that tv's under 32" were exempt from special aduanas? several people posted in the recent past that this was the case although no one ever provided the "proof"...

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
My personal experience last summer was that tv's "ARE" exempt "IF" they were manufactured in the US. This was from the CAFTA agreement as interpreted by DR Customs. Cost of 32" Samsung LCD in Florida, $700.00. Cost from DR Customs to import it, $800.00. Pricing was similar for the 26" tv I also brought.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This is a little different but I carried on a 22" LCD Computer Monitor onto Jet Blue, they didn't say anything. I had it wrapped in a blanket and in a BIG beach bag.
SHALENA

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There are virtually no consumer electronics made in the USA anymore. And I beliee the CAFTA DR agreement is worded to exempt only goods made ENTIRELY in the US with all US materials....good luck finding anything like that!

THere had been talk about tv's below a ceratin size being exempt, not related to CAFTA DR, but it was probably bogus...

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
On january 5, 2009 my husband flew into SD airport with a 22 inch flat screen that he took out of the original box and re-wrapped it in cardboard and carried it on the plane with him. at the airport in the US they asked him if he wanted to check it and he did, they marked it fragile and sent it under. He got it in the DR and it was fine. He said they said nothign about it when he passed thru customs. This is the second time he's brought a flat screen from US to the DR without a problem. He is Dominican.

Jan 9, 2004
Audboogie....

On january 5, 2009 my husband flew into SD airport with a 22 inch flat screen that he took out of the original box and re-wrapped it in cardboard and carried it on the plane with him. at the airport in the US they asked him if he wanted to check it and he did, they marked it fragile and sent it under. He got it in the DR and it was fine. He said they said nothign about it when he passed thru customs. This is the second time he's brought a flat screen from US to the DR without a problem. He is Dominican.

There is a never a problem till Customs decides to inspect your luggage! Then you need to know the rules and explain to them "politely but firmly" that you know them.

Returning Dominicans who have been out of the country for at least the past 6 months may, in the month of December and up to January 7th, bring in $1,500.00 USD of duty free goods. As a precautionary measure, bring with you the receipts showing the purchase price!

As to non Dominicans, the rule is, you may bring in gifts totaling $500 or less once every three months. However, in order to avail yourself of the exemption, the gifts must be declared on the customs form. Again, as a precautionary measure, bring your receipts.

When, and if, you are challenged, show Aduana the back of their own Customs forms which outlines in both Spanish and English the rules stated above.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: windeguy

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...........As to non Dominicans, the rule is, you may bring in gifts totaling $500 or less once every three months. However, in order to avail yourself of the exemption, the gifts must be declared on the customs form. Again, as a precautionary measure, bring your receipts.

When, and if, you are challenged, show Aduana the back of their own Customs forms which outlines in both Spanish and English the rules stated above.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Great info Playacaribe2, I guess it pays to read the customs form. I would guess you can do this every trip as I doubt they keep a records.