Foam mattresses? I need a decent bed!

susanindr

Apr 18, 2009
I am living in company provided housing in Santo Domingo and the bed they gave me is like a rock. Or a slab or concrete. Or a marble floor. Anyway - hard. Quality brand beds are terrifically expensive here. I am wondering if anyone has found a good place for foam mattresses - something not too toxic, if possible!

Also, does anyone know when IKEA is opening?

And . . I saw a post here about an office furniture store on Nunez de Cacares that has good couches, called "Maicy's." Does anyone have a cross street and/or nearby landmark?

And lastly . . . are there any English speaking ex-pat get togethers or groups or meet-ups in Santo Domingo anyone could tell me about?

Thanks a lot,

Susan

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Ilumel on Ave. Lincoln (north of Gustavo Mej?a Ricart) is one of the places where I've seen those space age foam mattresses, wonderful things but as you say, terrifically expensive. Try also the shop at the Bella Vista Mall, by the entrance to the parking lot.

Is Meicy's still there? It was near the Supermercado Nacional on Nu?ez, not right opposite but across the street, about three blocks north of 27 de Febrero.

Expat groups in SD include the International Women's Club, or you could try and organise a DR1 get together by posting on the forum.

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
The foam mattresses are hot and if no constantly under a/c will probably get moldy and smell. You can get good stuff at La Sirena without spending much.

sheribabi

Jan 20, 2009
Ikea Opening

I read some place recently that the goal is to open IKEA the beginning of December. We will see. I am patiently waiting.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ilumel sells regular mattresses too ... at a good price.
Summer is the time they really drop their prices. Last July, we never paid more than 1/2 price for anything in the store.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The best way to check out mattresses is to lay on them. We have bought more than one queen size mattress with decent results (not to soft/firm). Expect to pay US150 or so for a dent one with box springs and a metal frame. Be sure to have them assure you that they are from all new materials.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Great tip.

Where is Ilumel? I've never seen one.
On Av. Lincoln in Piantini, a couple of blocks north of Av. Gustavo Mejia Ricart, and a few blocks before you get to Av. Kennedy. It's huge - you can't miss it. Going northwards it's on your left.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
be sure to measure your matress -a lot of them are on the short side and make sure the base isnt cardboard

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Go to the home page of DR1 for today (5/14)
Click on Mothers Day Sales
There are 2 mentions of mattresses on sale at 25% off and where to purchase

Happy Shopping!! :)

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
Kicking this old thread because I have a special request. I will need an extra long bed because I am 6'3 tall, are these even sold in the DR?

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
La Nacional Home Gallery on Gustavo Mejia Ricart in Piantini, Santo Domingo sells all types of colchones, and all sizes.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there are a lot of very short ones around lol.......just dont presume a wide one will be long enough lol

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
there are a lot of very short ones around lol.......just dont presume a wide one will be long enough lol

2 wide ones next to one another, and sleeping diagonally??? Your partner must be willing to cooperate of course... lol

only 5'9" and I find the beds short...:bunny: