Poisonous toad!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I just got back from Judy's Pet Lodge after Dr. Bob helped diagnose a problem with one of my dogs over the phone; "Frog Poisoning". Dr. Bob was not available for the treatment but Judy did a great job and we are working on a full recovery.

I recommend that EVERYONE read up and learn about this toad, commonly called the sugar cane toad. Bufo marinus. It may save your dog, child or yourself.

issg Database: Ecology of Bufo marinus

This has some photos and good information. And we have one or two that live on the property... at least until this PM.

My sincere thanks to Judy and Dr. Bob. Judy also does great work with dogs and cats here in the Sosua area. Please visit her web site: Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc. Anyone wishing to do some volunteer work, adopt a pet or make a donation is welcome. (We offer free housing and some transportation for visiting Vets since we are close.)

Gratefully, Ringo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my father in law has those sapos in his farm. they like dog food. dogs, on the other hand are pretty smart and wait to take their turn with the food. we also had one in our sink drain, moved out overnight when we opened it.
i will be aware now not to let the cats and the puppy anywhere near the beast should it come back. thanks!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I just got back from Judy's Pet Lodge after Dr. Bob helped diagnose a problem with one of my dogs over the phone; "Frog Poisoning". Dr. Bob was not available for the treatment but Judy did a great job and we are working on a full recovery.

I recommend that EVERYONE read up and learn about this toad, commonly called the sugar cane toad. Bufo marinus. It may save your dog, child or yourself.

issg Database: Ecology of Bufo marinus

This has some photos and good information. And we have one or two that live on the property... at least until this PM.

My sincere thanks to Judy and Dr. Bob. Judy also does great work with dogs and cats here in the Sosua area. Please visit her web site: Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc. Anyone wishing to do some volunteer work, adopt a pet or make a donation is welcome. (We offer free housing and some transportation for visiting Vets since we are close.)

Gratefully, Ringo

So sorry to hear that one of your delightful dogs has had such a nasty experience with one of the Cane toads - we had one out in the field some time ago but it was too large to get into the compound, thank goodness!

Hope she makes a full and speedy recovery under the direction of Dr. Bob and the care of Judy who certainly does wonderful work via the Pet Lodge and Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
...........and this is what one looks like, although this one sems to have human legs

toad.jpg