Snakes in Santiago

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Well you never know. For instance in Cotui it supposedly happened about a year or so ago that this rich baseball player apparently had a couple of pythons or some huge kind of snakes as pets which he had brought from The US and they escaped one day and nobody's been able to find them, so people now speculate they are somewhere around the forest by Lake Hatillo reproducing...

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Well you never know. For instance in Cotui it supposedly happened about a year or so ago that this rich baseball player apparently had a couple of pythons or some huge kind of snakes as pets which he had brought from The US and they escaped one day and nobody's been able to find them, so people now speculate they are somewhere around the forest by Lake Hatillo reproducing...

I thought those type of snakes couldn't survived in the DR by they own!!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there are some red and black boa constrictors that grow pretty large - I have seen two, they are not native to the country

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
there are some red and black boa constrictors that grow pretty large - I have seen two, they are not native to the country

That's a very scary thing, i hope the DR doesn't turn into another south florida when it comes to reptires not native to the island, espcially the venenous one.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
No rain forest necessary, just a climate where it is warm year round and a moderate food supply. There is a growing population of feral burmese pythons and boa constrictors in RESIDENTIAL areas of South Florida, and a lesser number of anacondas and retigulated pythons. More a risk to pets than humans, but not a good thing nonetheless.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I saw one of my neighbors playing with a snake in the road on the way to work the other day, looked like a baby rat snake, must have been about 8 inches long.

This was about a block from DaVinci.

This is really the first place I have ever lived in my life where I was surprised to see a snake, and if they really are rat snakes then I think they would be a great addition to Dominican ecology, there are definitely too many rats here.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Humm

Supposedly large snakes are being caught and killed here in Santiago and some of the local mother are fearful that they are trying to take their children. Sounds like another mito to me - does anybody know what variety of snake this might be?

Denuncian aparici?n de grandes serpientes en el norte de Rep?blica Dominicana | CosasdelCibao.net

looks kind of like this one Boa Constrictor, Boa Constrictor Profile, Facts, Information, Photos, Pictures, Sounds, Habitats, Reports, News - National Geographic

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Donl know why they could not

The DR doesn't have big forest or rain forest to support those type of snakes.

They were doing quite well in St. Pete Fl. a few years ago. If I remember correctly they caught about 7 or 8 of them that were over 6 feet long,
Pets get away all the time and are found in ST. Pete, and Tampa, or when they cleaned out the pet shop in Plant City a few years ago, not sure they need the rain forest.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
The snake in the photo is a constricting Python, not poisonous but can grow up to 25+ feet long. I was under the impression these are not native to DR so would be interesting to know more, but as I do not speak/read Spanish am unable to.
Anyone care to enlighten me as to what exactly is going on.

Ms. Almonte

Jul 3, 2007
yes there are snakes

My husband's cousin raises chickens and the babies were missing all the time. One night he sat and waited and caught a snake trying to go after the chicks.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
This pretty one made itself at home in our garden today

333egbo.jpg

Caz

May 15, 2004
Hey Whirley - I couldn't open your picture but we had a small fiesty tree boa here which we saved from the workmen, and locals have said that they have killed much bigger snakes - what a shame as there are no poisonous snakes on the island and boas are a benefit to rat control (assuming you don't have chihuahuas).

Ok - seen it now and so lovely!! We have small black grass snakes that live in the walls - the dogs just look at them and walk away.

May 31, 2005
I've got a few around my house.

My accident in January happened when I was carrying one to the vacant lot next door.
That was one of the babies.

The mother occasionally likes to sun herself in the chainlink fence next to our rear patio.

She is easily 7-8 ft. long.

I got goose bumbs.. I hate snakes..

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Please don't kill the snakes, the are very important for the eco system in neighbourhoods. We even keep a cat on our rig to do away with the mice that come in on supplies. If you have snakes in the area you can be sure you are having a rodent problem. Once they have no more food they will move on. Peaceful creatures that should be left to clean up the things we don't like, like spider do for unwanted insects.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Snakes in Santiago!

Darn, I thought this thread was about DR politicians!

I don?t like snakes, to me they are all poisonous.
Only seen a few small ones here, had one in the garage once.

Don SantiagoDR