ex military moving to dom. rep.

lorenzocast

Apr 19, 2009
hey,
in august i will be moving to dom. rep. and using the gi bill to pay my way threw school and i would like to know if there are any good paying jobs i can apply for with my back ground?
What are some thing i should know as a student in dom. rep.?
and any other info i need to know prior to moving, and while im living there??

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Unfortunately, there wouldn't be many (any?) good paying jobs here in the DR for someone with your background in the military - nothing compared to what you could find in the U.S.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It depends on how the GI bill is set up to pay you. Ideally they would just need to see that you are registered to start sending you monthly checks. Hopefully they would recognize at least some of the universities here in the DR. What they will send you will be more than enough to pay for tuition, books and room and board with enough left over for other things.

You need to contact the VA or whoever handles the GI Bill for vets and find out.

Also, the best universities are in Santiago and SD. You also need to be aware of the area you want to get a degree in so that you won't have licensure problems in the US. For example, if you want an engineering degree you need to find out if at some point you will be able to get your professional license in the US.

BTW, I'm ex 82 and voc rehab paid for my engineering degree.

A su orden

lorenzocast

Apr 19, 2009
well im gonna be studying dentistry,the univercity that i registered for is reconized by the gi bill, they will be sending me 1400 a month for 36 months this is the mongomery gi bill, they have a new gi bill but the old one will work out alot better for me due to the fact that ill end up making more money.
and im gonna do 3 semesters a year ill come back to the U.S. work for 3 months and go right back to the dom.rep.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
well im gonna be studying dentistry,the univercity that i registered for is reconized by the gi bill, they will be sending me 1400 a month for 36 months this is the mongomery gi bill, they have a new gi bill but the old one will work out alot better for me due to the fact that ill end up making more money.
and im gonna do 3 semesters a year ill come back to the U.S. work for 3 months and go right back to the dom.rep.

Sounds like you already have a plan. I really don't think you need to work if you share an apartment with another student and don't need a car and can limit eating out expensively a lot. Good luck.

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
This might be a retarded question, but are semesters in the Dominican Republic 3 months as opposed to 4 months (give or take during the summer semester) like in the U.S? Good luck with school, I am just thankful this semester is finally coming to an end. I wish all I had to do was go to school (without having to work a full time job). I was just wondering how you can attend school for 3 semesters and work for 3 months, the math is not adding up in my head unless you went to school Sept thru Aug, worked Sept thru Dec, then began again in Jan for another 3 semesters. Just wondering, but good luck anyways!

Kelsey

lorenzocast

Apr 19, 2009
ADMISSIONS - SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

General Information Admissions Costs Transfer Credits Financial Aid Student Visa Requirements Our medicine program consists of a 5 and a half year program. The reason is such a short program is because we have three semesters in a calendar year:

Jan – April
May- August
September – December.

Admissions open 45 days before the first day of each month.

Each semester will start the first week of the month. All classes in the University are taught in Spanish, although we offer a special program called “Spanish as a second Language” for those candidates who wish to reinforce theirs Spanish speaking and writing skills.

What i meant is one year ill do three and the next two, depending on the circumstances

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
Makes sense. Just remember the hardest part will be starting back once you stop to work. I go through that every semester knowing the easy way is to not enroll for the next semester but then I think about how much I "love" my job and that is all the motivation I need to continue on... Good luck with school!

Kelsey

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
The job situation might depend on what your MOS was

11B or any type of combat arms might not give you a lot of options in DR.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
The Montgomery GI Bill only provides 36 (max of 48 depending upon the program) months of benefits, not enough to get your through Dental School unless you already have a degree. Will your DDS degree be recognized in the United States after you graduate?

My initial research doesn't show that the VA will pay for college in the Dominican Republic, so you need to talk to a VA representative about that.

And, if the VA does pay for your program, you need to ensure that the Dominican university of your choice has a good admissions and business office.

I think you need to look at some of the fine details of your plan.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
The Montgomery GI Bill only provides 36 (max of 48 depending upon the program) months of benefits, not enough to get your through Dental School unless you already have a degree. Will your DDS degree be recognized in the United States after you graduate?

My initial research doesn't show that the VA will pay for college in the Dominican Republic, so you need to talk to a VA representative about that.

And, if the VA does pay for your program, you need to ensure that the Dominican university of your choice has a good admissions and business office.

I think you need to look at some of the fine details of your plan.

Good points. Sounds like the kid has a plan.....but is it a well thought out plan....don't think so.