Cost of living in Santo Domingo?

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
I would like to know if anyone could help me. I am hoping to rent a place in Santo Domingo, at the moment I work a 3 weeks on, 1 week off rota. I work on the rigs and so live on site and so don't really have a home at all.
I have been told that it could be worth my while to rent a place full time so I have some where to call home as I plan on spending my week off in Santo Domingo each month. I don't suppose I can buy without residency? that could take alot of I expect.
I would like to know what kind of price I would be looking at long term for a 1 or 2 bedroomed apartment in a reasonably safe area hopefully surrounded by people of similar situation, my Spanish is okay but nothing to be proud of.
I am not concerned about muggers and such like as I am a reasonably large guy, my main concern would be leaving the place for the time I would be away on the rig.
A pool within the grounds would be nice but not so important.
A benchmark on all this would be much appreciated from anyone with advice or experience.

Thank you in advice.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Rotator

Hi Bill. I also work in the oil/gas sector with a 28/28 rotation. I live in Santo Domingo.

My advice is to visit the DR for a couple or more hitches. Stay in Aparthotels; they are everywhere. See if you like it before committing to a rental. You may prefer the north coast as Santo Domingo is very urban.

PM me if you want to discuss anything.

Good luck.

lorenzocast

Apr 19, 2009
hey for the same price you would rent an apartment you coul buy one down in dom. rep., for example i already have one apartment in SD(las caobas) and one i go down this summer to study im gonna take a loan out with the back purchase and apartment for 25,000 dollars and pay it off.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
hey for the same price you would rent an apartment you coul buy one down in dom. rep., for example i already have one apartment in SD(las caobas) and one i go down this summer to study im gonna take a loan out with the back purchase and apartment for 25,000 dollars and pay it off.

It's only US$25,000 beacuse it's in Las Caobas :)

lorenzocast

Apr 19, 2009
No that one belongs to me and i bought that ages ago en las caoba isnt a bad place. The one for 25,000 is in la romana with a view